Damascus Knife Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damascus Knife Build

Here's the latest order that I finished up last night. It's similar to a knife I did a few weeks ago only a tad bit bigger. Folks had asked me what steps I take when making a knife. So I am going to give the quick version with a few photos.

Photo 1) I have taken a sharpie and marked out my knife design on a chunk of damascus steel. I have a 1/4 inch oak template backed with some magnets. I put the template on the steel blank and then scribe a line around the outside edge.

Photo 2) I drilled a bunch of holes along my pattern line with a 1/8 inch carbide bit.

Photo 3) I play connect the dots with high speed cutoff wheels.

Photo 4) I grind to my lines and then grind the blade to shape.

Photo 5) After grinding and hand sanding out the scratches it goes for a dip in some acid. The acid brings out the damascus patterns.

Photo 6) Ok, I skipped some steps and didn't take pictures. I pinned on Mesquite Burl handles with mosaic pins and red liners.

Photo 7) Completed knife and leather sheath ready to be mailed to Texas
    Attached Files

Dare I ask who's knife that might be???

Comment

MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!!! Oh, I'm sorry.......was that a rhetorical question?

Comment

You're both wrong. I may just keep it for myself. =)

Comment

No way, You can always just build another!!! Can't wait to see mine.

Comment

thats a thing of beauty!

Comment

Good lookin knife

Comment

I am walking around the yard looking for a mount to photo the knife tomorrow when UPS shows.

Ty Sir - - It won't be my last purchase.
                Attached Files

Comment

did you harden the knives with oven or torch reply thank u.

Comment

I have a small forge that I use to heat treat the blades. It is made from refractory material. It has an inside chamber 3 1/2 inches wide by about 10 inches long. My Mapp torch gets it up to critical temp in 5-10 minutes. I bring the blades up to non-magnetic (around 1500 degrees) and then quench them in warm oil. After that cools I place the blades in an oven at 350 degrees for an hour and then let them cool to room temp. I do that twice to temper the blades.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Im curious about the actual edge you put on your knives. Do you use a jig at a pre determined angle to grind them or do you do it by hand?

Comment

The edge and the grind are not necessarily the same thing. I free hand the grinds. I try to leave about 1/32" of material on the edge at this point.Then I heat treat, etch it, assemble the handle etc. I sharpen the edge as the final step. I have used Lansky sharpeners in the past and have been pleased. However, I have now switched to sharpening with my grinder to put convex edges on all my blades. I start with 320 grit and then proceed through 400 grit, 900 grit, 1200 grit, 2500 grit, 4500 grit and then finish on a felt belt loaded with polishing compound. This produces a mirrored edge that is scary sharp. There are a lot of other methods out there. That is just what works for me.

Comment

Keith, I used that knife in your avatar to skin a deer two weekends ago. It's a GREAT knife. Holds an edge extremely well - through several deer before needing a touchup. Sure makes the job easy.

Comment

Glad to hear it. I still have 10 just like it to finish by Christmas. If it wasn't for this dang day job I might get some work done. lol

Comment

Great looking knives.

Comment

Working...
                              X