Phones in Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    I stand corrected. You have done what you should've been doing. Good job. Are you sure you can't win a position on the board, you would be a great addition.
    Unfortunately I'm sure. I have thought about it. But in addition to being a white conservative, I'm a white conservative who isn't scared to speak his mind and doesn't care what is or isn't pc. I have multiple flags in my yard from FU 46 to Come and Take It. I laugh at how it ****** of the liberals (and I know some personally) but also know that would keep me from having any shot. I'm a hell of a lot closer to Garland's domestic terrorist, i.e. concerned parent, than I am to school board material. But, I will keep fighting the fight for the next 4 years at least!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I’m a pretty old-fashioned guy, for the most part. But you guys trying to apply 1985 logic to a 2022 problem, have no idea what reality looks like in today’s school, or today’s world for that matter.

I’m old enough to remember when teachers and principals were authority figures to be respected, and sometimes feared. They were allowed to run their school, set policy, and discipline accordingly.

That’s not the case anymore!
      Their power, and leverage, has been taken away. At least 50% of teachers/principles these days wouldn’t know a paddle, from a detention slip. They’re not really in control of the school much beyond elementary.

Given all of the power that districts have given up to mealymouthed, candysssed parents over the years… I prefer my son be able to get a hold of me in case of a real emergency, I don’t give a **** what anyone else thinks about it, and I can make sure it’s not a distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If the teachers don't have the power in todays cake walk life and times of a student then that is why it needs to start at home. Parents need to start being parents. If there is an emergency then the student can advise the teacher and the teacher can tell the student one of two things, where the restroom is or where the office is so THEY can make the phone call.

You sir have a bad habit of putting people down on here and calling folks names. Must have been picked on in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
        If the teachers don't have the power in todays cake walk life and times of a student then that is why it needs to start at home. Parents need to start being parents. If there is an emergency then the student can advise the teacher and the teacher can tell the student one of two things, where the restroom is or where the office is so THEY can make the phone call.

You sir have a bad habit of putting people down on here and calling folks names. Must have been picked on in school.

You would vote in favor of child grooming laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
          You would vote in favor of child grooming laws.
          Huh?

Comment

At my daughter’s last school, if a phone was brought out during class then it was taken up and sent to the principals office where it could later be picked up by a parent after paying a $50 fee. Needless to say, there were very few repeat offenders.

But after school, phones can still be an issue. I drove a school bus for 8 years. I constantly had to deal with kids recording each other, and taking inappropriate pictures. Also had to deal with kids calling parents and friends to come get them after an accident and when the bus broke down. We are responsible for the kids till they get home. When kids contact family and/or friends when something happens on a bus, things get out of hand VERY quickly. In the case of a school bus breaking down, a school official(not the bus driver) has to check ID and authorize the release of a student. In the event of a wreck, EVERY student needs to get checked out medically by a school nurse or a doctor BEFORE they can be released. When you have 50+ kids on a bus and 20+ friends/family banging on the school bus door it is a VERY bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              Huh?
              Huh is right. But I will bite.

Explain your question and how it relates to my request for more discipline in schools and at home. Because basically that is what I am calling for.

Comment

More 1985 logic.

I’ve got more than one bad habit, including being openly honest when I probably shouldn’t. But if you keep feelin put down, maybe you ought to give that some thought.

Comment

Not feeling put down at all sir. Just looks odd when an adult resorts to that kind of activity. You give that some thought!!

What I wrote was 60's school logic where if you acted up at school you got it worse at home. Never ever did kids go to school looking the way they do now, public or private school. I try and respect everyone and try and write that way so that if my grandkids read what I wrote they wouldn't be embarrassed. I think everyone can get their point across respectfully, don't you?

Comment

Not feeling put down at all sir. Just looks odd when an adult resorts to that kind of activity. You give that some thought!!

What I wrote was 60's school logic where if you acted up at school you got it worse at home. Never ever did kids go to school looking the way they do now, public or private school. I try and respect everyone and try and write that way so that if my grandkids read what I wrote they wouldn't be embarrassed. I think everyone can get their point across respectfully, don't you?

You sir, think your grandkids wouldn’t be embarrassed??

Moving on. Things change and we adapt. 10-15 years ago, I was working in a hospital. We had a strict no phones policy. You couldn’t be caught with one in the hall, in our units…. Fast forward a few years. They were vital in patient care. Easy and immediate access to providers, easy and immediate access to families. Technology allowing access to X-rays, vent settings, vital signs….

Now we are seeing that in schools. Not necessarily life saving but could be also. My point being is that we have to embrace technology and let it grow. My son has reminder and scheduling apps for his studies. They all help in his education but also teach him the potential of technology and lets him know that there is potential in technology.

On a personal level, I think it is the it is a game changer that I can text my kids and ask how their day is or just say “hi, I love you.” They can do the same, answer when appropriate.

Sure they can abuse or isolate with technology but that also evolves in our teaching as parents and teachers.

Comment

Well of course the parents poopoo-ed the proposal. But school board agreed to pilot the program in one junior high, just happens to be the JH my daughter will attend next year (fall 2023). Let's keep the comments respectful before this thread gets whacked!

Comment

I deal with this issue all the time, I love some of these comments…. Keep them coming.

Comment

I grew up much later, in fact I was in school in the 80s and 90s, and I was treated the same way. When I acted up at school I got my *** whipped, and if it got back to my dad I got more than that. Therefore I acted accordingly, until I was lied about by teachers….but I got my *** whipped just the same. Like I said, teachers aren’t all honest, and maybe you didn’t experience that.

Outside of school I worked a full time job from the time I was 11 until now. I worked and grew up hunting and fishing, around hard men, and I treated them with respect. So by the time I got to high school, I didn’t have any respect for a teacher who would flat out lie to me, or my folks, and I had a bad habit of telling them so.

I found that a lot of people your age, raised a lot of people my age, who had no problem lying/stealing, and doing a lot of things I didn’t agree with. So I learned to tell those people exactly what I thought. It cost me a few *** whippins, and got me in trouble for givin a few. Either way, I learned to say what I think and to deal with the consequences.

Later on I learned that the world has changed, largely because of those people. I changed the way I dealt with them for a time, because of business mostly. What I found was that they took that as weakness. So nowadays I mostly say what I think so no one has to wonder about it, and I’ve found that that works better. Even if they don’t like it I’m very comfortable dealing with the consequences.

So I’m sure that’s a lot more than you ever wanted to know about me, but I felt it necessary to explain who I am, and my distrust of schools, and the people who run them nowadays…because it hasn’t gotten any better. It’s worth mentioning that my wife is an educator, and in fact works at the same school my son will attend next week. While I trust her all the way, I still want my son to be able to get ahold of me at any time if a situation warrants it. He also knows that his phone is to be turned off and put away when he enters the building, and not turned back on until is allowed, or in the awful case that something terrible happens. And as I said, as his father, I am perfectly capable of making sure he does so.

In the interest of not derailing the initial intent of the thread, I will bow out so it can continue on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I grew up much later, in fact I was in school in the 80s and 90s, and I was treated the same way. When I acted up at school I got my *** whipped, and if it got back to my dad I got more than that. Therefore I acted accordingly, until I was lied about by teachers….but I got my *** whipped just the same. Like I said, teachers aren’t all honest, and maybe you didn’t experience that.

Outside of school I worked a full time job from the time I was 11 until now. I worked and grew up hunting and fishing, around hard men, and I treated them with respect. So by the time I got to high school, I didn’t have any respect for a teacher who would flat out lie to me, or my folks, and I had a bad habit of telling them so.

I found that a lot of people your age, raised a lot of people my age, who had no problem lying/stealing, and doing a lot of things I didn’t agree with. So I learned to tell those people exactly what I thought. It cost me a few *** whippins, and got me in trouble for givin a few. Either way, I learned to say what I think and to deal with the consequences.

Later on I learned that the world has changed, largely because of those people. I changed the way I dealt with them for a time, because of business mostly. What I found was that they took that as weakness. So nowadays I mostly say what I think so no one has to wonder about it, and I’ve found that that works better. Even if they don’t like it I’m very comfortable dealing with the consequences.

So I’m sure that’s a lot more than you ever wanted to know about me, but I felt it necessary to explain who I am, and my distrust of schools, and the people who run them nowadays…because it hasn’t gotten any better. It’s worth mentioning that my wife is an educator, and in fact works at the same school my son will attend next week. While I trust her all the way, I still want my son to be able to get ahold of me at any time if a situation warrants it. He also knows that his phone is to be turned off and put away when he enters the building, and not turned back on until is allowed, or in the awful case that something terrible happens. And as I said, as his father, I am perfectly capable of making sure he does so.

In the interest of not derailing the initial intent of the thread, I will bow out so it can continue on.

Good read, Thank You.

Me, I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic School for 12 years and yes some of those nuns were as bad as the rumors reflect,lol. One class the nun sat in the back behind the students and she had a box of yard sticks next to her desk. Yup, the trouble makers, me on occasion had to sit in front of her and got wacked from time to time with one of those sticks. Point is, right or wrong, discipline is necessary. Maybe not corporal punishment but it is needed and generally that is not happening in the public school system. I worked in a minority city and one of the grade schools tried uniforms for a couple of years for boys and girls. Basically it was dark blue pants and white or light blue shirts for boys and dark blue pants or skirts and blue/white blouses or shirts for girls. They could be purchased anywhere but they had to be that color. The schools were almost trouble free for those years. I am thinking the uniforms had something to do with that. They abandon that a few years later and things changed back to the way they use to be. Parents uproar over uniforms ended it.

I believe EVERYONE on here are really good folks with different opinions but the opinions should not be a vehicle get down on anyone. Me, I am a pro-life conservative.

Have a great day and hopefully one day I will let you buy me a coffee so we can have a good discussion, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                              You sir, think your grandkids wouldn’t be embarrassed??

Moving on. Things change and we adapt. 10-15 years ago, I was working in a hospital. We had a strict no phones policy. You couldn’t be caught with one in the hall, in our units…. Fast forward a few years. They were vital in patient care. Easy and immediate access to providers, easy and immediate access to families. Technology allowing access to X-rays, vent settings, vital signs….

Now we are seeing that in schools. Not necessarily life saving but could be also. My point being is that we have to embrace technology and let it grow. My son has reminder and scheduling apps for his studies. They all help in his education but also teach him the potential of technology and lets him know that there is potential in technology.

On a personal level, I think it is the it is a game changer that I can text my kids and ask how their day is or just say “hi, I love you.” They can do the same, answer when appropriate.

Sure they can abuse or isolate with technology but that also evolves in our teaching as parents and teachers.

We may need to adapt at some point but kids are kids. You don't just let them have any technology in school and class. They have to learn how to operate and use things the correct way first.

Letting parents send smart phones with k-5 graders just gives the teachers yet another thing to worry about besides teaching.

Comment

Working...
                              X