Phones in Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phones in Schools

Where do you fall on this issue? Here is our district's proposal. I think it could be a good thing, maybe a great thing. We'll see what happens. Some people's (mainly the kids) heads might explode!

Branum wants the district to purchase special pouches for students to keep their phones locked up during the school day.

"In RISD, our teachers, principals, and other employees who work directly with our older students have seen the ongoing distraction and lack of engagement among many students during instructional time due to phones," Branum said. "We’ve also experienced a wide variety of disciplinary issues that are the product of student smartphone use during the school day, including student altercations, cyberbullying, prohibited activity, photos and videos in violation of other student’s privacy rights, and social media posts or texts that result in safety concerns on campuses."

According to the plan, students would put their phone into the pouch and turn it off at the beginning of the school day.

Students can only unlock the pouch at an unlocking station at the end of school.

i like the idea, and the concerns are 100% valid. a few of the secondary teachers here make the kids hand over their phone at the beginning of class, but i dont think a blanket school policy will get passed.

Comment

My sons school says they have to keep phones in their backpack during classroom hours. Any phones that come out during classroom hours are able to be confiscated by the teacher and parents contacted to come get the phone. I feel like that works well enough.

Comment

Friendswood ISD has already adopted the policy starting next week. My son is not happy but cannot defend his position. My daughter said she will find away around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a newly retired teacher/administrator, I say do not allow phones in the classroom for all the reasons stated. The pouch system seems like just another headache to keep up with. Districts should have a board of trustees that makes it a policy not allowing students to have phones in the school, period. They don't need them. While my district allowed students to keep them in their pockets/backpacks, the students were always getting them out and causing problems. At my last school of five years, phones were not allowed and guess what, very few problems with phones and that was only at home and weekends. If a phone showed up, it was immediately dealt with and we had hardly any repeaters.
          Ask yourself, who is in charge of your schools, you or your kids?
          Last edited by SabineHunter; 08-10-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

No phones in school.

Comment

No phones in school.

Comment

every kid will have an apple watch very soon so they can communicate during class!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  every kid will have an apple watch very soon so they can communicate during class!
                  So. Handle it the same as a phone. It's being handled during state testing. Like I asked, who's in charge of your schools, you or your kids?

Comment

I support no phones in schools 1000%. Phones and social media are turning our children's brains to mush. I'm so freaking glad I grew up without the BS.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                      I support no phones in schools 1000%. Phones and social media are turning our children's brains to mush. I'm so freaking glad I grew up without the BS.
                      Same.

If you need to call mama... go to the front office. I would bet 99% of the kids haven't "called" anyone on their "phone" in months.

Comment

My kids have assignments that are accessed on their phones for in class work.

Plus, in the event of an emergency I want them to be accessible or to access needed help. If the teacher has an issue with them using it when not appropriate, discipline them according to policy and tell me if you need further support making sure it doesn’t happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                          My kids have assignments that are accessed on their phones for in class work.

Plus, in the event of an emergency I want them to be accessible or to access needed help. If the teacher has an issue with them using it when not appropriate, discipline them according to policy and tell me if you need further support making sure it doesn’t happen again.
                          Kids, especially in Katy, have chromebooks for their assignments, no phone needed.

Nowhere in any safety protocol that I've seen, has calling parents been advised. Please don't bring up Uvalde as that was a total cluster**** on so many levels.

Comment

Phones in Schools

I agree but by Junior year they need to learn to self manage. Old enough to kill for Uncle Sam in my book you are an adult. A young one but still an adult. If parents don’t want kids having cell phones at school STOP SENDING YOUR KID TO SCHOOL WITH A CELL PHONE. Parent your own child. If you need a school district to take away your kids phone because you dont have the backbone to do it yourself well you already lost.

If by 16 your kid can’t balance getting his/her work done with real world distractions you are doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Ætheling; 08-10-2022, 04:36 PM.

Comment

No phones period! No excuses!

Comment

Working...
                              X