No announcement yet.

Sitka has lost their minds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2,000 Acres of frozen nothingness that no one is going to see anyway.

They are painting a picture for emotional fools to get worked up over, when the truth is they will have less affect on those animals than a highway through Oklahoma. And even guys here are falling for it....probably because you're embarrassed at having bought that overpriced crap, and don't want to have to "boycott".

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholson84 View Post
      I have been working on the slope for almost 10 years now. From watching the Caribou, Musk Ox, Geese, Ducks, foxes and Polar Bears our operations seem to affect them very little. We have them running by us often. The O&G Operators do a great job here, if there is a drop of oil from your pick-up it is reported and cleaned up. Has to be the cleanest O&G fields in the world.

I would love to to see the headcount on the amount of people that actually visit Up here to view the pristine wilderness! Which by the way is incredibly difficult right now and would be almost impossible if it wasn’t for the infrastructure that oil and gas has put in place. There are agreements with the state as well to reclaim and return all roads and pads back to tundra. I believe it’s all handled pretty well.
      I lived up there for 22 years beginning in 1976. Height of the oil boom. My mom worked up on the slope for a short time, my stepdad worked there a longtime. I have many other friends and relatives that still work on the slope. I've personally been there and visited. The operations on the slope are well maintained and cleaner than your own house. These operators know how to work in that environment to keep it pristine and there are a ton of regulations regarding clean-up and restoration when they pull out.

For those of you saying "we have plenty, wait until we need it", you don't have a full understanding of how long it takes from the time they start building drilling infrastructure to the time oil is finally making it to the refinery. If the real need is in 10 years, they need start now!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        2,000 Acres of frozen nothingness that no one is going to see anyway.

They are painting a picture for emotional fools to get worked up over, when the truth is they will have less affect on those animals than a highway through Oklahoma. And even guys here are falling for it....probably because you're embarrassed at having bought that overpriced crap, and don't want to have to "boycott".

Falling for what? Some people just want to keep wild places wild. Like me. Never bought Sitka and never plan to. I think more people on TBH just want wild places to remain that way. Doesn’t make them emotional fools, makes them outdoorsman in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wildlife don’t mind drilling facilities. Just ask anyone who’s ever worked on or near one. I saw more wildlife from a rig than a blind. Drilling in that area would most likely take place in the winter while it is iced over and solid enough to support a rig. Long after the caribou have migrated.

I don’t see a all out oil boom in the area due to its logistics. Only the majors would even attempt to explore there. Which right now or for the foreseeable future would be minimal. As for Sitka gear way over priced anyway. I think they have alway been a bit left, and now they are catching hell for coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
            Falling for what? Some people just want to keep wild places wild. Like me. Never bought Sitka and never plan to. I think more people on TBH just want wild places to remain that way. Doesn’t make them emotional fools, makes them outdoorsman in my book.

Falling for this picture they are painting of oil soaked bunnies and caribou calves dying on the tundra. Ignoring the fact that this is all just a ploy to line the pockets of people who would take away your right to hunt here in Texas in a hearbeat. All over 2000 acres of land (that .001% of people will ever see) having a few oil wells on it that will do nothing to effect the animals there. While not caring at all about the filth allowed on well sites all over the cont. 48, and these god awful looking government subsidized wind turbines in our own back yards.

But let's keep those 2000 acres, 2000 miles away..."wild".

Comment

Falling for this picture they are painting of oil soaked bunnies and caribou calves dying on the tundra. Ignoring the fact that this is all just a ploy to line the pockets of people who would take away your right to hunt here in Texas in a hearbeat. All over 2000 acres of land (that .001% of people will ever see) having a few oil wells on it that will do nothing to effect the animals there. While not caring at all about the filth allowed on well sites all over the cont. 48, and these god awful looking government subsidized wind turbines in our own back yards.

All 100% correct .
              BUT, I'm all for leaving alone what little bit is left, even if I may never see it.
              I don't care how pristine "they" keep it, it's the fact that it still remains wild imo.
              No bleeding heart here, but I've spent my life crawling through backcountry all over the US, and we're ruining the wild places as fast as we can.
              I've witnessed it first hand over the last 25+ yrs.
              IMO we should fight against anyone trying to take these lands, otherwise greed will win in the end.
              If there was no opposition I'm pretty sure Alaska would have been bombed out and depleted by now.
              They have fought environmentalists since the beginning, which is the only reason things are as pristine as they are up there.
              JMO

Comment

DaDGum are we Hunters or Environmentalist!!! No wonder America is so jacked UP!

Comment

Well said.

Comment

I don’t see anyone on this thread falling for that. People probably are, but nobody here is lol. Not everything is a liberal ploy. I’ll never see public hunting land in many places, doesn’t change my opinion that wild places should remain wild. I also don’t understand how anyone makes money off of oil wells not being drilled. I’m not donating to any campaigns. I’d assume nobody else on TBH is donating to those politicians campaigns either.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      All 100% correct .
                      BUT, I'm all for leaving alone what little bit is left, even if I may never see it.
                      I don't care how pristine "they" keep it, it's the fact that it still remains wild imo.
                      No bleeding heart here, but I've spent my life crawling through backcountry all over the US, and we're ruining the wild places as fast as we can.
                      I've witnessed it first hand over the last 25+ yrs.
                      IMO we should fight against anyone trying to take these lands, otherwise greed will win in the end.
                      If there was no opposition I'm pretty sure Alaska would have been bombed out and depleted by now.
                      They have fought environmentalists since the beginning, which is the only reason things are as pristine as they are up there.
                      JMO

I can't speak for Dale, but I'd bet his feelings are similar to mine. I have no problem preserving wilderness and mounting campaigns to preserve it in opposition to legitimate threats. This is not much of a threat if any AND the fight they are mounting is full of lies and based on untruths. They are trying to portray the whole ANWR as at risk and the coastline when in fact, the drilling permits and sites are inland and not on the coast and are minuscule in size. Don't know if you've ever seen the Alaskan pipeline, but I'm sure you can recall all the hoopla that went on about how bad that pipeline was going to destroy the wilderness and wildlife... well quite the opposite actually happened. wildlife has benefited from the pipeline being there and it brought with it infrastructure, jobs and prosperity to the people of the region they'd never have had otherwise. I think we can have both, but when one side fights by painting a false picture, I swell up and oppose that pretty quick... two can play that game.

Comment

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Me too!

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Glad they don't have them in triple extra sexy sizes so I can dislike them without wearing any overpriced camo I already bought. No chance there...
                          3XL is my friend. Sometimes 4XL...........

Lol. ****, I have agreed with SMART at least twice this week. Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                            3XL is my friend. Sometimes 4XL...........

Lol. ****, I have agreed with SMART at least twice this week. Hahaha

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. The kinder gentler Smart is trying [emoji41][emoji51][emoji23]

Btw... there’s a Jmalin sighting on this thread with multiple posrs. I’ll let y’all figure out who. [emoji848]

Comment

Working...
                            X