No announcement yet.

Gov. Abbott sends a message to Austin Mayor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More money is not necessarily the answer. Kinda like the old analogy I've heard about the bird feeder.
    First you're just feeding a few songbirds. Then the crows move in, then the mice and raccoons that pick up the spilled food. Then the fighting begins cause there in not enough food anymore. So you buy and stock another feeder. Then there is the waste that start to accumulate so other vermin move in and lastly the vultures who move in due to the carcasses that result from the squabbles that require disposal. Where does it end? Removal of the feeder.
    Ask the people of Kalifornia and other cities who throw money @ the problem. The problem doesn't get smaller, just the opposite. The takers will flock to the money!
    I have no solution to the problem. I just know that asking for more money to spend as they see fit will not solve the problem.
    Last edited by locolobo; 10-04-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
      I hear ‘California is the place you ought be’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This is a classic!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
        I hear ‘California is the place you ought be’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        California is literally over run with homelessness
        Last year I took a train ride from Los Angeles to Northern California
        And almost every mile of train tracks is occupied by bums/ tent city’s
        The smell is almost unbearable, even when in rural areas of the train tracks
        But I think they have room for more

Comment

We recently just moved out of ATX to Wimberely. One of the first things my daughter asked walking through our new town was "where are all the homeless people at?"

The camping ordinance change did not bring in more homeless folks. It just brought them out of the shadows. Yes there are some lazy SOB's out there but the vast majority of these folks have some serious mental health problems and the number of veterans in this population is kinda crazy. I don't know what the answer is but it sure does break my heart sometimes. Over the years I have worked with a few COA departments that manage green spaces throughout town. We did camp clean ups along creeks and woods. The camps were huge. Some covered several acres. It is amazing what these folks can haul into the woods. And it is amazing the environmental damage they can do especially along creeks and rivers.

Once again I will say that these people have always been here. Maybe sometimes it good to have to look the problem in the eye. But I am sure we will figure out a way to just sweep it back under the rug.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
            We recently just moved out of ATX to Wimberely. One of the first things my daughter asked walking through our new town was "where are all the homeless people at?"

The camping ordinance change did not bring in more homeless folks. It just brought them out of the shadows. Yes there are some lazy SOB's out there but the vast majority of these folks have some serious mental health problems and the number of veterans in this population is kinda crazy. I don't know what the answer is but it sure does break my heart sometimes. Over the years I have worked with a few COA departments that manage green spaces throughout town. We did camp clean ups along creeks and woods. The camps were huge. Some covered several acres. It is amazing what these folks can haul into the woods. And it is amazing the environmental damage they can do especially along creeks and rivers.

Once again I will say that these people have always been here. Maybe sometimes it good to have to look the problem in the eye. But I am sure we will figure out a way to just sweep it back under the rug.

I do hear what you are saying and it is heartbreaking to know that there is not a better system in place especially for our brothers and sisters who have served! Personally I believe there is nothing we can do. Very few people that I have encountered and had conversations with that live on the streets do not want to be responsible and prefer to have what they do have given to them. Hearts and minds brother, hearts and minds...

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
              I do hear what you are saying and it is heartbreaking to know that there is not a better system in place especially for our brothers and sisters who have served! Personally I believe there is nothing we can do. Very few people that I have encountered and had conversations with that live on the streets do not want to be responsible and prefer to have what they do have given to them. Hearts and minds brother, hearts and minds...

Michael
              Yeah, if a person doesn't realize their God given purpose in life early on it's usually a vicious cycle down from their. Homelessness is the extreme result of that or bad decisions or both. It's just not very likely to recover when you find yourself sleeping in a culvert.

Comment

Since they have run them out of Downtown Houston, they have become a HUGE nuisance to the surrounding Houston areas.

The big towns in Texas have turned blue, and the blue policies are become apparent. Before long we will be the next Portland, Detroit, Chicago.....

Enabling is the major cause of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                X