Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    Is it that kids want to be popular?
    Or is it that they are soft/weak (ie snowflakes) and don't know how to handle adversity (being picked on) so they just shoot the school up out of frustration?
    I'm going with they are weak minded and take the easy road out which is shooting the school up.

It's participation trophy syndrome.
    These kids want everything their way and want everyone to like them.
    When things don't go their way they have access to firearms and the internet to make bombs so they do evil things.

Every true case of a school shooting (columbine, paducah, newtown, Florida) the kid was mentally insane.
    They were outcasts and being picked on.
    The parents weren't there for them.
    This guy was 19 but suffered years of taunting before yesterday.

Only way someone is shooting up a school (outside of IsIs or the crips/bloods) Is they are crazy/mentally unstable
    Hell may be freezing, and I can’t believe I’m about to type these words but “I agree with Texansfan.

��. Did Someone back your account, this isnt your general contrarian, pot stirring position.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      Is it that kids want to be popular?
      Or is it that they are soft/weak (ie snowflakes) and don't know how to handle adversity (being picked on) so they just shoot the school up out of frustration?
      I'm going with they are weak minded and take the easy road out which is shooting the school up.

It's participation trophy syndrome.
      These kids want everything their way and want everyone to like them.
      When things don't go their way they have access to firearms and the internet to make bombs so they do evil things.

Every true case of a school shooting (columbine, paducah, newtown, Florida) the kid was mentally insane.And was or had been taking prescription antidepressants.
      They were outcasts and being picked on.
      The parents weren't there for them.
      This guy was 19 but suffered years of taunting before yesterday.

Only way someone is shooting up a school (outside of IsIs or the crips/bloods) Is they are crazy/mentally unstable

Comment

Can someone tell me how the Uber driver didn't know what was inside that case he was carrying....
        Can you be that oblivious to who gets in your car?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          So your saying the local voters can vote on multi-million dollar stadium funding but we have no vote on other local funding appropriations such as school security? I call BS screw state funding and let local funding decide.
          I understand your point, but as long as the state controls schools, local districts will have to rely on the state to back these changes, and they wont under the current system. If a district doesn't pass a bond for that stadium, its not like they could choose to use that money elsewhere. There isn't enough local money to run the schools at the present level AND add in millions for safety. If the state makes safety the #1 priority, some of that state money will be earmarked for safety. Limited entry points into facilities, armed security, canines, faculty/staff training, security cameras, metal detectors...all of these things at way more than the current level will be required. There isn't MORE money to give to schools to provide this level of security, so money will have to be reallocated, and that will require state authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I know school shootings are the hot topic but 26 people where just killed at a church in Texas.

If I had to blame it on anything it would be social media.

I’m only 36 but if I had a problem at school or church we handled with our fists.

I think the bullying that you would get at school has been multiplied by the constant bullying you get on Facebook, Snapchat, instagram. Kids can’t just have a bully at school anymore and it follows them home. Home is no longer a safe place with social media. Multiply that with the access of all the videos of the mass shootings and how easy it is to gain knowledge of shootings and different firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I completely agree. Used to be if you were having drama with someone at school. It ended when you left school. Now it seems like it's a 24/7 thing they gotta deal with. And instead of just the two involved everyone can see the issue and add their two cents on it as well.
            I don't do Facebook but heck even hearing about it from adults these days there seems to be plenty of drama for all ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I know school shootings are the hot topic but 26 people where just killed at a church in Texas.

If I had to blame it on anything it would be social media.

I’m only 36 but if I had a problem at school or church we handled with our fists.

I think the bullying that you would get at school has been multiplied by the constant bullying you get on Facebook, Snapchat, instagram. Kids can’t just have a bully at school anymore and it follows them home. Home is no longer a safe place with social media. Multiply that with the access of all the videos of the mass shootings and how easy it is to gain knowledge of shootings and different firearms.

I agree with this. Not only the bullying but looking for fame. We live in a time where people make millions of dollars a year for posting videos of their daily activities online. Social media is a major problem.

Comment

Social media is a huge issue - This kid used it to promote/participate in hate, and to cultivate a toxic atmosphere around himself.

Needs to be a community effort to patrol this stuff. People need to be held accountable for what they are posting / saying / communicating.

Comment

I didn't read all these posts, but I believe the crazy amount of news coverage has something to do with all these shootings. Look how many kids were arrested yesterday for guns or making threats. They probably wouldn't have done that if it weren't for the shooting coverage on the news.

Comment

Our society has gone down hill as we have become more "civilized." In the old days, when kids, or even adults for that matter were picking on each other, a fist fight ended it. Nowadays a kid can't fight back without risking getting expelled or even jailed. With social media, anything can be made up and spread, which only adds to the stress. Some kids just can't take it and lash out. I'm not saying this is what happened in Florida, but it's a huge problem.

Comment

In my opinion this could all be solved by bringing a swift and severe punishment to the offenders. I am talking a "Holy crap I am never doing that!" reaction even a mentally ill person can understand. The problem is it will never happen. There will be no justice for the victims. Instead this nut will get the death penalty and sit for on average 15-20 years before its carried out. 15-20 years!!

Comment

Originally posted by mallardman02 View Post
                        In my opinion this could all be solved by bringing a swift and severe punishment to the offenders. I am talking a "Holy crap I am never doing that!" reaction even a mentally ill person can understand. The problem is it will never happen. There will be no justice for the victims. Instead this nut will get the death penalty and sit for on average 15-20 years before its carried out. 15-20 years!!
                        At $45ish dollars a day cost to the taxpayers. 365 days a year. For 20 years! Thats a chunk of change... im on the “social media and the society we live in” bandwagon. I dont think there is a solution to completely stop the shootings. I think there are some really good points brought up here in this thread. I also bet tax payers wouldnt mind paying another $10/year per person to go to the schools security. As long as it doesnt end up going to a turf football field!

Comment

Originally posted by mallardman02 View Post

The sad part is that he MAY not get the death penalty. With Florida’s new laws it is extremely hard to get the death sentence. That is according to Fox News. Could be right or wrong. I haven’t looked that deep into it. However, have you have seen the shooters defense yet? He is clearly sick, but they will be trying their best to get life because he is “insane”. Therefore he will end up in facility wasting away if the jury agrees. I truly hope not. It’s a really bad deal. Too bad there are more than just one issue with these shootings which is why nothing has been done to prevent them. It’s like the person with a one way track mind getting pulled in multiple directions. Usually the result is bad, poor, or no performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                            I understand your point, but as long as the state controls schools, local districts will have to rely on the state to back these changes, and they wont under the current system. If a district doesn't pass a bond for that stadium, its not like they could choose to use that money elsewhere. There isn't enough local money to run the schools at the present level AND add in millions for safety. If the state makes safety the #1 priority, some of that state money will be earmarked for safety. Limited entry points into facilities, armed security, canines, faculty/staff training, security cameras, metal detectors...all of these things at way more than the current level will be required. There isn't MORE money to give to schools to provide this level of security, so money will have to be reallocated, and that will require state authority.
                            This makes no sense to me. Admittedly I don’t know all the ins and outs of how school finance works. But in my limited understanding it seems that when a local school district passes a bond and raises property taxes, they determine what the bond will be spent on. Is that incorrect? If it is not, what then prevents them from putting school security in as a line item?

Comment

Another contributing factor that can't be overlooked is the movies and video games that glorify violence. Many people are unable to determine the difference from fiction and non-fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                Another contributing factor that can't be overlooked is the movies and video games that glorify violence. Many people are unable to determine the difference from fiction and non-fiction.

They have been saying that forever really. Your last sentence is a problem. That’s a mental health issue. Not a movie watching issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X