School Shootings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
    My point does escape you. Because that is what i was arguing against.
    Yep. It was you quoting texansfan. My bad and my apologies. I'm not too bright.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to high school in Southern California. We weren't allowed to have lockers and also there were controlled entry/exit points with metal detectors you had to use to enter and leave campus. We also had two full time uniformed police officers on campus.

Comment

The focus of public education has to change. Our state spends hundreds of millions of dollars on mandated testing programs, while spending almost nothing to keep kids safe. That's putting the cart before the horse. It is going to take a completely restructured school system that stresses safety first in order to eliminate or greatly reduce incidents like this. It will mean taking money away from testing programs and from athletic teams, among other things. Safety would have to be the priority of public schools and everything else like academics and sports would have to take a back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
          The focus of public education has to change. Our state spends hundreds of millions of dollars on mandated testing programs, while spending almost nothing to keep kids safe. That's putting the cart before the horse. It is going to take a completely restructured school system that stresses safety first in order to eliminate or greatly reduce incidents like this. It will mean taking money away from testing programs and from athletic teams, among other things. Safety would have to be the priority of public schools and everything else like academics and sports would have to take a back seat.
          You are school administrator, right? I mentioned the drills we all must go through in the thread above. What exactly are the state requirements? One a month?

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
            Hmmm that is strange. They are mandated by the state. I believe one a month is mandated. We do one a month. We even have to do the reverse drill which is EXACTL what occurred yesterday. We are a very small school and have two resource officers on campus. Have no answer on how to stop it completely but certainly allowing well trained (shouldn't they all be well trained?) LTC teachers to carry, would not hurt. I have no real answers honestly.
            Yes they do them often and usually don't announce them. Just a bummer getting the email after the shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
              Did mass shootings happen before columbine? I don’t know the answer but to me that is where it started and has spiraled down hill since. For my age (31) it is the only mass shooting that I had ever heard of up to that point.
              While not technically a shooting, the deadliest attack on a school in the US was in 1927 in Bath Township, MI. 44 killed. The first one I really remember in a school was Jonesboro, AR. The shooters were 11 and 13 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                My point does escape you. Because that is what i was arguing against.

I think he is meaning to quote texansfan and not you. His comment went with what he had said about the giving money for food stamps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                  Absolutely and it's not just the state but the local city and counties. If nothing else take it to the voters and let them decide!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    While not technically a shooting, the deadliest attack on a school in the US was in 1927 in Bath Township, MI. 44 killed. The first one I really remember in a school was Jonesboro, AR. The shooters were 11 and 13 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

That was on a late night documentary a few years ago. It doesn’t fit the media’s agenda so the majority have never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Absolutely and it's not just the state but the local city and counties. If nothing else take it to the voters and let them decide!!!
                      It has to start with the state - the people who make the laws and provide the funding. School ratings based on test scores comes from the state level. Money and emphasis has to be reallocated. No local district could do this without having the same level of commitment from the sate.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                        You are school administrator, right? I mentioned the drills we all must go through in the thread above. What exactly are the state requirements? One a month?
                        The problem with these drills is that they are reactionary and not preventive.

Comment

Allowing teachers to conceal carry on campus would not hurt. With proper training that is.

Comment

I believe visible security could be a huge deterrent. Like armed security with K-9 units.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                              That was on a late night documentary a few years ago. It doesn’t fit the media’s agenda so the majority have never heard of it.
                              I don’t know if the media is ignoring it. I don’t see any relevance between that tragedy and yesterday’s. It’s a totally different situation. Not even remotely similar. What does a disgruntled politician who murders his wife and bombs a school because he is going bankrupt have to do with a school shooting almost a century later? Sincere question.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                                Really think that would help. These people don’t follow rules. If they know they are there then they will start out side and work there way in. Just like the guy in Florida. IMO arm our teachers or at least the front office. Hire an ex military. Get rid of the the gun free zones. Gun free= free choice to a gun man.

Bingo!

Comment

Working...
                                X