Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Restrictions In Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowstalker210 View Post
    Yes, you would be correct that of the 3% about 90% of them are due to unwanted pregnancies. Abortions due to rape or incest are minuscule but to say they would somehow be closed for those only reasons is just ignorant. They provide many other services like STD testing, prenatal care, etc. As far as the myth that "they're selling baby parts" go, a majority of the abortions provided are done at cost so no profit is made. Yes, there are those few who undermine the system and make a profit of it and that is a serious problem but those only make up a small portion of abortion providers. Since you bring it up though lets look at those "irresponsible" numbers. Teen pregnancy is trending downward, take San Antonio for example. The birth rate is dropping and more women are waiting till they are stable and have a better chance of raising the child without govt assistance. Why? The community has taken a more proactive role about sexual education and stressing the obstacles of getting pregnant too early as well as helping parents with talking to their children about the issue. Many cities in Texas have started to take this approach and are starting to see the same result, TX is still one of the highest percentage wise in regards to the issue but we're making headway. That's the reality...PERIOD.
    I wonder if the Texas abortion laws had anything to do with the headway that San Antonio has made?

Let's think more broadly about this. Did you know that there have been over 50 million abortions annually worldwide between 2010-2014? Now, lets just talk about the US. In 2012, there were over 699,000 abortions alone in the US. Thats more than the population of Seattle. But don't worry, thats just a minuscule town with no real significance.

I love where the country is going: you can be a man if you're a woman, or a woman if you're a man (and win awards for it), you can marry whoever you want, and you can smoke weed legally in some states. You can come here from other countries and enjoy the benefits this country and not have to be a citizen to do it. Hell, you can be valedictorian if you want. You can demand that the country pay for your living, but not give anything back in return. And you can blame others for your mistakes, have others fix your mistakes, and go back out there and make the same mistakes again without any guilt.

There are so many opportunities in this world to do whatever you want, and I can't believe how many people are depriving thousands of children with those chances in life.

Comment

You can spin it any way you want but at the end of the day it's murder plain and simple.
      I've always asked pro abortion supporters at what point does a fetus become a life. If you took a fetus out of a different pregnant woman every day from conception until full term at what point would you say stop, you are killing a person. All these guys talking about personal choice yata yata but then you have to make the call, every day that fetus grows a little more, where do you draw the line, if a fetus is pulled out every day and put on a table for you to determine if it's alive or not. Pretty gruesome depiction but that's the reality of it.
      The idea that only 3% of what planned parenthood does is abortion is just ridiculous, they wouldn't make such a big deal out of having the "right" to do it if it wasn't so profitable, but to each there own I've always been one to take up for the underdog or the one that didn't seem to have a chance and to just write a life off seems like the coward way out, one more excuse to not grow up and own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

**MR. KELLER**: Justice Ginsburg, JA 242 provides that 25 percent of Texas women of reproductive age are not within 100 miles of an ASC. But that would not include McAllen that got as*applied relief, and it would not include El Paso, where the Santa Teresa, New Mexico facility is.

**JUSTICE GINSBURG**: That's--that's odd that you point to the New Mexico facility. New Mexico doesn't have any surgical--ASC requirement, and it doesn't have any admitting requirement. So if your argument is right, then New Mexico is not an available way out for Texas because Texas says to protect our women, we need these things. But send them off to Mexico--New Mexico--New Mexico where they don't get it either, no admitting privileges, no ASC. And that's perfectly all right. Well, if that's all right for the--the women in the El Paso area, why isn't it right for the rest of the women in Texas?

**MR. KELLER**: The policy set by Texas is that the standard of care for abortion clinics should rise to the level of ASCs for clinics, and admitting privileges for doctors. Texas obviously can't tell New Mexico how to regulate, but the substantial obstacle inquiry examines whether there is the ability to make the ultimate decision or elect the procedure. And when there's--

**JUSTICE GINSBURG**: Then why should it count those clinics?

Comment

Crickets.

Comment

maybe someday republicans will stop lying and just admit this is to stop abortion and has nothing to do with womens healthcare.

in the meantime they look like idiots for trying to defend womens healthcare in this situation, when in fact child birth is more dangerous than abortion.

when someone lies to me they can expect i will no longer listen to them and definitely will not follow them. repubs should be honest about their intentions and stop looking foolish.

they should also realize they are in the minority in this country and we are for the most part majority rules.

btw, there are a bunch of states with similar laws. of course they will be challenged and lose now that precedent has been set.
            Last edited by XBowHunter; 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
              maybe someday republicans will stop lying and just admit this is to stop abortion and has nothing to do with womens healthcare.

in the meantime they look like idiots for trying to defend womens healthcare in this situation, when in fact child birth is more dangerous than abortion.

when someone lies to me they can expect i will no longer listen to them and definitely will not follow them. repubs should be honest about their intentions and stop looking foolish.
              Welcome to politics...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Welcome to politics...
                part of the reason i vote libertarian and don't follow the two major parties...

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post

they should also realize they are in the minority in this country and we are for the most part majority rules.

btw, there are a bunch of states with similar laws. of course they will be challenged and lose now that precedent has been set.
                  Pretty sure Rep. are up front about wanting to stop abortion. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen one person here mention women's healthcare. That may be the basis for the Texas law that was struck down, but Rep. have been clear on wanting abortions illegal in most cases.

Comment

For me, as a woman, I am saddened by this ruling. Do I believe that abortion clinics should have a doctor with admitting rights to a nearby hospital? Yes. Last thing I would want for any woman is to undergo surgery (aka abortion) without a facility capable or a doctor with admitting privileges. I understand the issue where some hospitals will not give the doctor admitting privileges- if those hospitals accept state or federal funding, then they should.

For those who claim that abortion clinics offer women's health services, why don't you try calling them for a mammogram? Betcha can't get one. They offer referrals. So would your GP, or OB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rusty coat hangers and no doctor around. Whodathunkit.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Rusty coat hangers and no doctor around. Whodathunkit.
                        That goes against your argument actually. That is what would happen if abortion was illegal, but nice try.

Comment

Don't these clinic that offer pregnancy termination services also offer no cost pregnancy prevention medications?

Sad as it is, anyone with any common sense knew that these restrictions would not stand up in court. They were targeted at one specific company/health provider/what ever it would be called, under the guise of "women's health services".

It is a sticky wicket, and this toothpaste will never be stuffed back into the tube. So like it or not, it is here to stay. You don't have to like it(I dont), or support it(I also don't), or approve of it(still don't), or utilize it(nope again), but the sooner everyone accepts that it is not going away, the sooner more relevant, changeable issues can be addressed IMO.

There are no easy solutions to legislate morals.

Comment

Like abortion Barbie said, the government shouldn't be in the vagina business.

On other news, it looks like prostitution should be legal soon.

That should really kick the stem cells farms into over drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Pretty sure Rep. are up front about wanting to stop abortion. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen one person here mention women's healthcare. That may be the basis for the Texas law that was struck down, but Rep. have been clear on wanting abortions illegal in most cases.
                              Yep....Liberals are the ones calling abortion clinics Womens Healthcare.....legalized murder

Republicans knew it was a long shot, I applaud them for their stance. Hopefully they saved a few lives by shutting down the baby killer's in our state for a little while.

Comment

It's sad that people think killing babies is ok. With the technology that exists today, it is clearly ending a life. How anyone can not see this as wrong is beyond me??

Comment

Working...
                                X