CA to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
    There is obviously an issue with minimum wage. While I dont believe this is the savior, something has to be done.
    I agree to some extent. I do think it could be possible to live off minimum wage. That being said, people can live off a hell of a lot less then 30k a year. It might not be fun, but definetly doable. When you get down into the 15-16k a year it may get tough. Although at one time I remember hearing that minimum wage was originally designed as a high school/ college kid part time job thing. You were expected to get trsining/experience after that and make yourself WORTH more then 7 or 8 dollars an hour. I think a lot of people would rather just keep there McDonald's job and not have to make themselves valuable, as that would require more effort.

Comment

Most folks should have to work to get welfare.

The government should cost recover at $2-3 an hour contracting them out to private companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        Most folks should have to work to get welfare.

The government should cost recover at $2-3 an hour contracting them
        out to private companies.
        I agree with this as well. There should be a community service attachment for keeping the neighborhoods clean or volunteering for some of the Sr. Centers or something to keep people active and involved to where they give a dang.

Not so much on the government part.

Comment

There is obviously an issue with minimum wage. While I dont believe this is the savior, something has to be done.
          The only thing that needs to be done is for it to be removed completly.
          Walter Williams has a good speach on the subject on youtube. And i believe milton freeman does as well.

Comment

Education and job training. Prepare for better paying jobs with wages determined by the market. Eliminate H1-B visas so there is a need to train and hire Americans.

CA had one of the best public junior college/ college/ university systems in the US that was affordable before the invasion and being run by Democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              Never understood the politicans in CA. Raise taxes so much that people and jobs move out of the state and now this. Cost of living is already high enough out there. Now the cost of a happy meal will double. How are those people supposed to feed their kids fatty meals and sue McDonalds if they can't afford the meals?

I'm looking forward to those annual elk hunts in Montana.
              If the goal of a politician is to stay in office (meaning to be regularly re-elected) then, that politician promotes laws and policies that make their electorate happy. It isn't about doing what is right for the public, it's about pleasing those who vote. In Cali, that equals the low paid voters who want to be paid more and the wealthy who don't have to worry about the cost of a Big Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                Not true...the next step will be to pass a minimum employee quota. Each business will be required to have X number of full time, X number of part time and X number of season workers. That or they will outlaw u-scan it machines b/c they take jobs.

I could see something like this happening. But this won't keep a business owner from closing up shop.

Since it will take six years for the $15 an hour to kick in how in the world will these people survive the wait?

"Hang in there guys. Only 2185 more days to go till we get PAYED!!!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Wow 15.00 an hour sounds great right now... I'm 23 have been working since I could got a job as an equipment operator making 15.00 an hour about a year after graduation. And I thought that was **** good pay for a some what skilled job. Now that I have worked hard and moved up to lead worker,motor grader operator, and part time crew chief plus a new job title I now make more..... What is so hard to understand! If you want more do more.. Find a job that requires a skill other than flipping hamburgers! This is why I can't stand most people!

Comment

Business dictates what people get paid based on income, not what a politician thinks they should be paid.

And that other stuff mentioned about number of employees is already being doled out in Seattle by their city council. Shifts have to be laid out a week ahead of time and can't be changed for any reason, employees have to have so many hours off work each day, you can't hold an employee over even if you have a rush of customers. The nightmare has begun.
                    Last edited by Tmag; 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

My bank eliminated several employees. A new type ATM was installed that takes the place of the employees who once worked there. I now only see one person working the drive thru and counter inside. You can only use the drive thru window if you have a business account.

I agree that many positions at fast food restaurants will be eliminated. Probably the same will be true for auto parts stores and other businesses.

Comment

A 3% per year inflation based increase would =about $13.20 per hour by 2022
                        This is really not a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                          A 3% per year inflation based increase would =about $13.20 per hour by 2022
                          This is really not a big deal
                          For now 'til 2022 one could get trained/educated/or otherwise become gainfully employed in a career not a starter job. "Not a big deal"

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                            [ATTACH]783894[/ATTACH]

Best meme I've ever seen. So truthful as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Will do no good. Cost of goods will rise proportionally. It's amazing how people can't grasp this.
                              But, Bernie will just put price controls on Big Macs and fries, and businesses will be hurt and stores will go out of business since they are no longer profitable. Oooooh, I used that ugly "P" word! That word that is the basis for all business.

Comment

Get ready for a 20 minute wait for a Big Mac, California

Comment

Working...
                                X