Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    Was she being taught lies?
    Is it not the case the USA has more deaths by gun, violence by gun and more percentage incarcerated people in this country?

Don't be THAT dad.
    Because they taught it out of context to validate their argument. They compared violence in the US to the UK. The U.K. has per capita an exorbonent amount more violent attacks than the US they just used knives and clubs. That's the point. They did not give two sides to these kids. The lesson was the US has a problem because we have gun rights. I don't agree you may. I'll teach my own the way I want you yours.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      Because they taught it out of context to validate their argument. They compared violence in the US to the UK. The U.K. has per capita an exorbonent amount more violent attacks than the US they just used knives and clubs. That's the point. They did not give two sides to these kids. The lesson was the US has a problem because we have gun rights. I don't agree you may. I'll teach my own the way I want you yours.
      But that's not indoctrination, because that's a strong word. It's simply validation for their argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        But that's not indoctrination, because that's a strong word. It's simply validation for their argument.
        The worst part is if you quiz the average middle school age kid what are the bill of rights they'll look at you with an empty stare as the crickets chirp away. But they can tell you gun violence stats. My daughter got all As and one B last semester and I'm sure she fits into that description. Same with the Trump deal. They can tell you Trump is gonna require Muslims to be marked like Hocaust era Jews but if you ask them what Aushawitz is, blank stares and crickets.

Comment

"tell me the maximum I can charge for this drug before setting off the government alarms" is all I got out of that post. But what do I know, right?
          I won't lie.
          It happens and I've done (am currently doing) it.
          When a new drug such as Opdivo gets ready to come to market the drug company needs to know how much they can charge for it.
          Of course they'd want $1M per pill but that's not reasonable (at the moment).
          So they bring me in to review the costs for similar drugs treating similar diseases and what the govt and insurance companies are paying for such and they set a price similar to that.
          Over the years the prices have steadily crept up.

Humira did over $15 BILLION in sales last year.
          One single drug, over $15,000,000,000 in sales.
          If I'm stepping anywhere near that drug I need to be compensated HEAVILY.
          Why?
          They obviously have a GREAT market for it so I'd like my share.
          Did I come up with the miracle formulation for the drug?
          No!
          But I DID hold the keys to the analytic research needed to present the drug to the FDA in order for it to be approved.

The sales reps are going to want their share. (Ask Landrover)
          The Marketing team will want theirs.
          On and on, all these little thousands pieces drive up the price of a drug
          Last edited by texansfan; 03-05-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
            The worst part is if you quiz the average middle school age kid what are the bill of rights they'll look at you with an empty stare as the crickets chirp away. But they can tell you gun violence stats. My daughter got all As and one B last semester and I'm sure she fits into that description. Same with the Trump deal. They can tell you Trump is gonna require Muslims to be marked like Hocaust era Jews but if you ask them what Aushawitz is, blank stares and crickets.
            I agree.
            We were REQUIRED to memorize the Declaration of Independence (Preamble and 1st paragraph) and The Bill of Rights in 10th grade.

Comment

Man you kids are all over the place with the arguing.

Schools at all levels have been teaching kids half truths, total lies, and misinformation for years. And yes at some level you could even call it indoctrination.

It is a parents obligation to understand what is being taught to their children and to correct any errors. But that isn't enough, your children need to be taught to question what they're being taught and to look at issues from all sides before forming an opinion.

Letting someone else teach our children their beliefs is how we got to this point.

Finally, no child is too young to learn truth, the question will always be WHO'S TRUTH.

Comment

So what should be the focus for 8th graders who are 14 years old that will be able to vote for Hillary or Trump in their second term?

This is why so many Bernie Bros have been created. Low information voters.

At what age should who is running for president be the focus of an American citizen?
                15? 16? 17? I'd hope at least by 18!
                How about simply stressing objectivity, accuracy and context in what is taught and not pushing personal politics - which is a frequent issue. I would give your points a little more credence if you were doing the same in defending the teaching as well as your historical references.

Trump clearly stated he wanted to ban all Muslims from coming into the US until the US figured out ........." He did not say Muslim Americans. He is a political neophyte and this is one of the big reasons the his supporters jumped on the anti-PC bandwagon is because instead of bothering to examine the merits of what he was saying, the media and libs rushed to call him an islamaphobic racist.

This country has a history of banning people from countries it is at war with - Carter banned Iranians during the hostage crisis. Can a North Korean citizen buy a ticket and just come right into the US. China? No. So let's just be honest about the challenges of Islamic extremists who themselves are predominately Muslim but in our more global society are not associated by citizenship to a specific country any longer.

It is not the role of our schools to influence children's politics nor their candidate preferences. It is their role to educate them. Low information voters are those whose definitions of a problem are political instead of accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
                  How about simply stressing objectivity, accuracy and context in what is taught and not pushing personal politics - which is a frequent issue. I would give your points a little more credence if you were doing the same in defending the teaching as well as your historical references.

Trump clearly stated he wanted to ban all Muslims from coming into the US until the US figured out ........." He did not say Muslim Americans. He is a political neophyte and this is one of the big reasons the his supporters jumped on the anti-PC bandwagon is because instead of bothering to examine the merits of what he was saying, the media and libs rushed to call him an islamaphobic racist.

This country has a history of banning people from countries it is at war with - Carter banned Iranians during the hostage crisis. Can a North Korean citizen buy a ticket and just come right into the US. China? No. So let's just be honest about the challenges of Islamic extremists who themselves are predominately Muslim but in our more global society are not associated by citizenship to a specific country any longer.

It is not the role of our schools to influence children's politics nor their candidate preferences. It is their role to educate them. Low information voters are those whose definitions of a problem are political instead of accurate.
                  Agreed. And I can't stand Trump.

Comment

CTRL+F "like"

Not only are you wrong you present yourself to be very immature with comments like that.
                    I am immature for a 48 yo. But I've been called a lot worse I don't take life to serious.
                    It was just an observation.....I typically only hear young females or folks from California talk that way......typing it threw me over the edge! I like that Ctrl+F function....maybe I can start utilizing it in my daily work

The funny thing is, the girl goes to school in Houston which is like 50 percent Mexican in the schools.
                    Do you not think she will not have a classmate who will be effected by Trump's deport all...
                    How is he going to TOTALLY get rid of the IRS?
                    Like, does he have any idea how many people work for the IRS?
                    dude CHK is up over 23% for THE DAY!!!

Fer sure, fer sure!

I got (2) PHD's myself.....but prefer to use my auger!

Comment

We should just invite Jesse Watters from Watters world to join the forum.
                      I am certain some of these questions could be properly answered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRvhnEG1ng

Comment

I can't believe any one is comparing the Germans treatment of the Jews, who never hurt any one, to trumps statements about muslims, who are killing people and causing grief all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          I can't believe any one is comparing the Germans treatment of the Jews, who never hurt any one, to trumps statements about muslims, who are killing people and causing grief all over the world.
                          Agreed

Comment

Was she being taught lies?
                            Is it not the case the USA has more deaths by gun, violence by gun and more percentage incarcerated people in this country?

Don't be THAT dad.
                            when suicide numbers are wrapped up into gun "violence" numbers, and used as an overall statistic about the evils of guns, then yes. She's being told a lie.

when other countries who could care less about accurate tracking of murder rates are used as statistical facts, then yes. She's being told a lie.

Comment

Of course it's not right, Trump or not! This kind of BS is exactly why I ended up putting my two youngest through a private academy. The indoctrination of our children in public schools is scary!
                              lol, and private schools don't have an agenda....?

right...

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                We should just invite Jesse Watters from Watters world to join the forum.
                                I am certain some of these questions could be properly answered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRvhnEG1ng

Comment

Working...
                                X