Militarized police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
    Ask any dead LEO if the situation that got him killed was not akin to a war zone. Then also explain to him that being shot at by a rifle in a foreign country is more dangerous than in the U.S. he will immediately understand. Then further explain he shouldn't have been in an armored vehicle when responding to a shooter or multiple shooters because of perception, it looks bad guy sorry. I've been both Military and LE. If someone is sighting down a weapon on you geographics and public perception don't really matter. Dead is dead. I'm with those on here that agree with the APC usage of LE. Now if they start patrolling in
    MLRS, Abrams, Bradley's or Paladins then we got a problem.
    Spot on

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      It is disconcerting on multiple levels......and I am still in the middle as I can clearly understand both sides of the argument.
      It is troubling & mind-boggling to know it is the same heavy equipment used during the apartheid years of South Africa!
      What????!!!! LR I thought we was down like two flat tires on a semi

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
        Ditto. I don't like but it's hard for me to argue against. It's just a **** shame it's came to this in the first place.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

In the true sense of the Constitution, the citizenry should have access to the same resources as the police/military. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
          What????!!!! LR I thought we was down like two flat tires on a semi
          I was able to go into this one last month in Johannesburg. Really eerie feeling imaging that coming down a neighborhood street . Some of the video footage was bone chilling as it was clear the unit was used as a weapon. Prayers our way of life does not spiral down into such dismal chaos.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Pretty much how I feel about it.

In the true sense of the Constitution, the citizenry should have access to the same resources as the police/military. But that ship sailed a long time ago.
          U and Jason nailed it Mike! It truly is a quandary of our times. I definitely realize it is a tool that can be used for GOOD or BAD.

Comment

Just think. If there were no democrats we wouldn't need any of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
              If you're an infantrymen, perhaps you should have to wear something that's easier for the enemy to see. I see no problem with all black or jungle camo for SWAT, whatever camouflages the good guys better against someone trying to kill them.

Maybe the military should send you guys into Iraq or Afghanistan strictly in humvees, you know, something equal to a technical that a band of terrorists would be equipped with. No need for a M1 Abrams or an armored personnel carrier. Since war is fair and all.....
              Edited, because I read further and seen your explanation [emoji3]
              Last edited by Thundervee; 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                I'm 100% sure we would tell the government to pound sand and I would lineup shoulder to shoulder with the citizens in the community that I serve to protect them from a government who is trying to trample on their constitutional rights.
                This is the way all Leo's that I know answer that question, it's refreshing to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundervee View Post
                  This is the way all Leo's that I know answer that question, it's refreshing to hear.
                  I asked a LEO buddy of mine, who is "the gun guy" at the department, several years ago, probably around the time Obama was elected, what he would do if The Man was lined up at his door to take his guns, his answer, "you better hope anyone you love is at the back of the stack."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                    If cruise missiles will help the cops do their jobs and get home safe every night then give it to them! Also I have seen the Dallas swat vehicles and they do have round impacts all over that thing
                    Most of these vehicles are military surplus purchased for pennies on the dollar, so the likelihood of these pockmarks being related to shootings in Dallas is slim. Just my 2 cents. I support the police, yet at the same time, I support our freedoms granted to us by God. A fearful population will cower behind a police state with little or no proof of its necessity. We have one of these in Alvin, TX with a population of 24,000. There hasn't been a violent crime committed here in goodness knows how long, but the LEOs claim they can't operate without it. Funny they haven't need one til now.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                      Sometimes I wonder if this forum has been invaded by the "black lives matter" brigade. Unreal.
                      Same here. I've never seen so many people in support of a huge, liberty-ignoring government in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                        Most of these vehicles are military surplus purchased for pennies on the dollar, so the likelihood of these pockmarks being related to shootings in Dallas is slim. Just my 2 cents. I support the police, yet at the same time, I support our freedoms granted to us by God. A fearful population will cower behind a police state with little or no proof of its necessity. We have one of these in Alvin, TX with a population of 24,000. There hasn't been a violent crime committed here in goodness knows how long, but the LEOs claim they can't operate without it. Funny they haven't need one til now.
                        Google could lie, but let's look at 1 murder, 10 rapes, 15 robberies and 27 assaults in 2013, in Alvin , with a population of 25,000. Those numbers aren't "bad," and they are actually down a bit from previous years.

We could throw in the 117 burglaries and 517 thefts, but is it really necessary?

Most citizens are oblivious so don't feel bad.

Oh, have you seen the number of sex offenders in Alvin? Holy smokes...

Comment

And I think this is 2014, could be wrong though..
                          Most accurate 2021 crime rates for Alvin, TX. Your chance of being a victim of violent crime in Alvin is 1 in 366 and property crime is 1 in 53. Compare Alvin crime data to other cities, states, and neighborhoods in the U.S. on NeighborhoodScout.

Comment

Very simple. If it was your job to respond to a guy shooting up an office building w/ a high powered rifle, you and your loved ones would probably like for you to be able to roll up in an armored vehicle instead of a Ford Crown Vic. The argument against police having access to armored vehicles is pretty insane to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundervee View Post
                              People get caught up in the current us vs them mentality. They forget that local cops are citizens too. We're not "the fed", " the govt", etc. I'm just as concerned about rights as anyone. I won't take unconstitutional orders.

It was the same in the military, though I think there were some who would blindly follow whatever they were told.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                google could lie, but let's look at 1 murder, 10 rapes, 15 robberies and 27 assaults in 2013, in alvin , with a population of 25,000. Those numbers aren't "bad," and they are actually down a bit from previous years.

We could throw in the 117 burglaries and 517 thefts, but is it really necessary?

Most citizens are oblivious so don't feel bad.

Oh, have you seen the number of sex offenders in alvin? Holy smokes...
                                lol!!!!:d

Comment

Working...
                                X