Propositions on Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Vote yes to proposition 1,123: Texans do not approve of nuclear weapons being dropped on our state.
    Vote yes to propositon 1, 124: We as Texans do not approve of being cornholed by black panthers or sasquatches.
    🤣

Spot on!

Comment

Only thing California got right was their actual Prop 13 which capped the annual increase on property taxes, we desperately need that here but every school district and government agency would fight tooth and nail against it. My FIL still lives there in Orange county and pays very little in property taxes vs being taxed out of your home here......when we inherit and sell the new buyer the taxes will reset at the sales price. The "cap" the folks in Austin put in here is a joke but they always want to say they are doing something to cut out of control property taxes, yes values are skyrocketing in my area but my pay hasn't gone up to coincide......and I know this is pretty much everywhere in the state, the upping the homestead helped but the idiots passed and unnecessary school bond package that ate up the decrease and passed by 24 votes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        These propositions are pointless, they never explain how they might be implemented. For instance prop 1, eliminates property tax without raising overall tax liability. How? As the say the devil in in the details.

and they forgot prop10, “Voting ballots will be printed in English only.”
        This is where I am at. TVC also has good points.

Another thing. If parents get school choice, and their money follows their kids, what about people with no kids? What about the school that just lost some portion of $$$ because a parent decided on a school outside the district? What happens when the only students left are children of poor parents? They just get the short end of the stick?

I am all about school choice. But these propositions are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

This is where I am at. TVC also has good points.

Another thing. If parents get school choice, and their money follows their kids, what about people with no kids? What about the school that just lost some portion of $$$ because a parent decided on a school outside the district? What happens when the only students left are children of poor parents? They just get the short end of the stick?

I am all about school choice. But these propositions are a joke.
          School districts should stop spending like drunken sailors.....our district just passed a $16 million bond by 24 votes because $16 million "was all they could get"...per superintendent due to tax rates, didn't say it's what they needed.....didn't even have plans and bids for "work" just vague wish list but of course sold it as "Classrooms for Pirates".....of which only a fraction will go to actual classrooms, guarantee football field getting artificial turf this summer and wasn't mentioned.......last bond few years ago to add classrooms to high school and they are sitting empty......one thing they said about this bond is they wanted room if students from other districts wanted to go here and they wouldn't have room for them, so that boils down to wanting the state money for out of district students and not really for the actual kids in the schools now........yipppeee the elementary wants a band classroom and an art classroom because they were having to use the cafeteria......oh and of course it's all for the "safety" of the kids......sent out mailers reminding those over 65 and homesteaded and those 100% disabled that their taxes wouldn't go up with bond.......

I will never vote for a school bond, or any bonds for that matter !!!

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post

School districts should stop spending like drunken sailors.....our district just passed a $16 million bond by 24 votes because $16 million "was all they could get"...per superintendent due to tax rates, didn't say it's what they needed.....didn't even have plans and bids for "work" just vague wish list but of course sold it as "Classrooms for Pirates".....of which only a fraction will go to actual classrooms, guarantee football field getting artificial turf this summer and wasn't mentioned.......last bond few years ago to add classrooms to high school and they are sitting empty......one thing they said about this bond is they wanted room if students from other districts wanted to go here and they wouldn't have room for them, so that boils down to wanting the state money for out of district students and not really for the actual kids in the schools now........yipppeee the elementary wants a band classroom and an art classroom because they were having to use the cafeteria......oh and of course it's all for the "safety" of the kids......sent out mailers reminding those over 65 and homesteaded and those 100% disabled that their taxes wouldn't go up with bond.......

I will never vote for a school bond, or any bonds for that matter !!!
            Okay. So a majority of your district voted for it. Got it.

I grew up with an art and band classroom in elementary school. Those seem like reasonable asks. We also shot archery and .22's, built snares, and learned other outdoor skills in our gym class. Those require space, which costs money. And they are things all schools need.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Okay. So a majority of your district voted for it. Got it.

I grew up with an art and band classroom in elementary school. Those seem like reasonable asks. We also shot archery and .22's, built snares, and learned other outoor skills in our gym class. Those require space, which costs money. And they are things all schools need.
              They didn't "need" anything those were already present, it's just schools and government in general wasting any and all tax payer dollars they can get....not outdoor skills or any others being taught.....I doubt they are building snares in elementary art rooms maybe sniffing the paint brushes to the tune of $16 million........I will again never vote for any school or any government bond package with they way they pi$$ off money.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                My stupid question on Prop 9, how do you “register as a republican”? Just voting republican in past elections over the last 41 years?
                If I understand you correctly, you have to register as a republican or a democrat to vote in the primaries. The democrats are currently switching parties to try and knock out various republicans before the general.
                If that’s not what you meant I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Letters View Post

If I understand you correctly, you have to register as a republican or a democrat to vote in the primaries. The democrats are currently switching parties to try and knock out various republicans before the general.
                  If that’s not what you meant I apologize.
                  Texas doesn’t per se register voters by party. I guess effectively they do because when you vote in a primary, Texas calls it being affiliated with a party and you can only vote in that party’s primaries (to stop crossover votes) or runoffs for the remainder of the calendar year. At the end of the year that affiliation goes away.

People can’t switch parties because Texas has no party registration. Once any person votes in a primary or runoff, he is denied voting in any other primary except for that party until January 1 the next year.

Also if you sign a petition to get a Libertarian Party candidate (as an example) on a ballot, for the remainder of that year you cannot vote in the Democrat or Republican primaries as you have affiliated with the Libertarian Party.

Clear as mud??

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Texas doesn’t per se register voters by party. I guess effectively they do because when you vote in a primary, Texas calls it being affiliated with a party and you can only vote in that party’s primaries (to stop crossover votes) or runoffs for the remainder of the calendar year. At the end of the year that affiliation goes away.

People can’t switch parties because Texas has no party registration. Once any person votes in a primary or runoff, he is denied voting in any other primary except for that party until January 1 the next year.

Also if you sign a petition to get a Libertarian Party candidate (as an example) on a ballot, for the remainder of that year you cannot vote in the Democrat or Republican primaries as you have affiliated with the Libertarian Party.

Clear as mud??
                    I guess affiliated would be a better term than registered, semantics in either case. They do keep track everyone’s ”affiliations” for a number of reasons
                    Here is the story I was mentioning

apparently from two Denton ISD elementary school principals – urging employees to vote in the Republican primary.

“Vote for candidates who support public education and school funding in the Republican primaries, no matter what your party affiliation is, Republican or Democrat,”
                    ​
                    Last edited by Red Letters; 02-23-2024, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Letters View Post
                      I guess affiliated would be a better term than registered, semantics in either case. They do keep track everyone’s ”affiliations” for a number of reasons
                      Here is the story I was mentioning

apparently from two Denton ISD elementary school principals – urging employees to vote in the Republican primary.

“Vote for candidates who support public education and school funding in the Republican primaries, no matter what your party affiliation is, Republican or Democrat,”
                      ​
                      I agree with the semantics which is why I said they don’t per se register but they effectively do.

In the news story however I don’t think they are using “affiliated” as a legal term meaning which primary you voted in this year but as the dictionary definition of, how you usually usually support.

So, I don’t think this story has anything whatsoever to do with registering or affiliating with a party, who you vote for or anything else political except, it is against the law to use public moneys to campaign and that includes campaigning while on the clock.

It appears that these two government officials were campaigning while working and used government emails to do so which really doesn’t fall under proposition 9 and registering.

​As to Razorback01’s question about registering…..

Like we have mentioned, Texas doesn’t register voters in advance. Currently IF we choose to vote in a primary at any point during a calendar year, we lock ourselves in to only voting in that party’s primary for the remainder of that year only. On January 1 the next year, any affiliation is automatically dismissed. So for Albums to have any impact, Texas (like I believe some states do) would have to create a law that requires registration on a somewhat permanent basis with a window to change before an election season. Just like we have to register to vote in advance, we would have to lock in our primary choice when registering. Just like our voter registration is automatically renewed so we don’t have to re-register each year unless we change addresses, a voters party affiliation would be locked in before you knew who was in the ballot.

Since these propositions are only discussion points and not an actual laws or bills, it seems to be making a case for registering with a party beforehand as opposed to the current system where a party affiliation is not official until you walk into a voting booth during a primary vote. Then it automatically goes away at the end of the year. For example they could pass a law that you had to claim a political party when you registered to vote at your current address and could only change it during a grace period for the following year such as September 1 through September 30 each year.

I suppose the intent would be to keep people (which they could do under the current affiliation system) from voting in basically an opposition primary so as to pick who you think the worst candidate is and make it easier for “your party “ to win me the general election. Forcing a person to pick a party so far out by several months would not allow for crossing over just to confound the opposing party.

Comment

Working...
                      X