Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a beast!

Comment

Okay. To build on the line of thinking that's been mentioned above: Do we call both of these deer in the hypos "native"?
      Is one hypo inherently harder/easier to hunt than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
        Okay. To build on the line of thinking that's been mentioned above: Do we call both of these deer in the hypos "native"?
        Is one hypo inherently harder/easier to hunt than the other?
        Scenario one: native.

Scenario two: non-native.

Every ranch is different when it comes to difficulty to hunt or locate the target animal. Low or High, non-native (stocked) versus native.
        Last edited by Chad C; 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Helluva deer regardless. I never understood the disdain some have about high fence, management plans, inputting better genetics etc. I don't have the means but if I did, I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            Scenario one: native.

Scenario two: non-native.

Every ranch is different when it comes to difficulty to hunt or locate the target animal. Low or High, non-native (stocked) versus native.
            I agree with this.

But, (to play devils advocate), can't someone technically say "well that deer was born underneath that bush over there... isn't that native?"

Assuming we aren't going to call the second hypo native, what makes the first one native? Is it that the first hypo fawn was born ON the ranch and is native to THAT ranch? Because if that is the case, the second hypo fawn falls under the same classification.

Or is it distance from where ever you "think" that deer should be from? If that is the argument. What if I pick that fawn up, walk across the county road, and put it in my high fence? Non native now? Or native? How far would one have to take that deer? With high fences, this argument about native gets a little funny, IMO. Opens itself to many differing opinions.

Comment

WOW! buck of a lifetime.congrats

Comment

It's native to the ranch if it's born there. But... the herd itself is not native to the area. (your ranch). It's not a big deal. You're still hand selecting the deer you want to transfer into your (New) herd for propagation. you said they were pure sotx whitetail which means they would be native to the region as well. If they have even 1% Northern cross, they wouldn't be native to the region.

Half of the deer in Texas come from the King Ranch! The state reintroduced deer non-selective and released them.

There is actually a better term to use, rather than native!

By the way, a Native Species is a species living in an area naturally, without any human intervention.
                Last edited by Chad C; 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I would just let it go and not get into this type of discussion and be happy you killed a monster, now go kill another one! Great deer BTW

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Helluva deer regardless. I never understood the disdain some have about high fence, management plans, inputting better genetics etc. I don't have the means but if I did, I would.
                    I do believe there are people that really hate high fence, genetic introduction, etc. I do not believe any of that was going on, on this thread. I do believe that recent "happenings" where the attempt for the wool to be pulled over our eyes by other TBH members, has some folks quick on the trigger. Texcattleman said it best, call it what it is, and let those that agree with it join in your celebration.

Comment

Awesome deer! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG D View Post
                        I do believe there are people that really hate high fence, genetic introduction, etc. I do not believe any of that was going on, on this thread. I do believe that recent "happenings" where the attempt for the wool to be pulled over our eyes by other TBH members, has some folks quick on the trigger. Texcattleman said it best, call it what it is, and let those that agree with it join in your celebration.
                        Perfect !

Comment

There is actually a better term to use, rather than native!

By the way, a Native Species is a species living in an area naturally, without any human intervention.[/QUOTE]

bingo!

can we move on now and if you're happy with the kill who cares what everyone else thinks!

Comment

Just to set the record straight, less you think I'm an "anti-high fencer." I hunt more high fence than I do low. One of my favorite bucks came from a fenced ranch out of Cotulla where the deer are seemingly tame. You can literally walk within 10 yards of them. No tags or genetics brought in...the deer just aren't scared of humans. I'm toying with buying a few deer next year for one of my places.

Onward...

Comment

I'm good with however you got the deer. Stud deer that I wouldn't pass up the chance to shoot! Congrats!

Comment

Few simple comments:

- This gentleman harvested an amazing deer.

- This gentleman shared his accomplishment with us

- This gentleman is chastised by many

- This gentleman owes NO ONE on this board anything, including details

- This gentleman continues to be a gentleman while some of you continue to prove your nothing more than clowns.

Comment

Working...
                                X