Soured Corn Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soured Corn Success!

This hunt begins about 3 months back as I began to see some hog sign on a place that I hunt. I decided to sour some corn and put out a game camera. To my surprise I got pictures of a group of 11 hogs and a few pics of some big boars by them self. This area had never had any hogs in it before. After seeing the pictures of the hogs I decided to put up a stand and a feeder. After they found the feeder and got use to it I decided I would wait and be patient for the right time. We had two weeks of over 100 degree weather and now finally we had a break in the heat wave. Tuesday it was cooler around 97 and according to my game camera the pigs were coming in to the feeder around 7:05 in the evening like clock work. I decided it was time to go sit the stand and sweat it out. As hot as it was I knew I was going to sweat and sweat alot. Hogs have a keen sense of smell, so I took a spray bottle of sour corn and sprayed my shoes and pants up to my knees. The smell was fermented, but not the rotting smell that is intolerable to stay around. When I got to my stand I also sprayed the bushes and weeds hoping that it might help and get the smell in the air. Whether it would mask my scent or not I thought the sour corn might convince them to come on in. To my surprise they came in on the trail I had walked in on 1 1/2 hours earlier. I guess the sour corn idea wasn't such a bad idea after all. Actually the wind was blowing right to them, but they were never alerted in any way. They came in on time. My shot was taken at 7:10 that evening. I took a quartering away shot and the boar went only 10 yards. Everything played out perfect just as I had prayed. It is a great feeling to release an arrow on a hog and see it go down in such a short distance. I was using my Mathews LX and a 100 grain 4 bladed Muzzy broadhead. Praise the Lord for a great bowhunt!
    Attached Files

congrats on the pork

Comment

Great shot!

Comment

Congrats, Rickey, on a good hog....Let me know if you need some help. I don't live far.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Way to go Ricky!

Comment

Nice job. Congrats

Comment

Go kill 1 million more please....

Comment

stink corn cover scent, great idear, I'll have to try it, congrats on a nice eatin pig

Comment

Great job on the porker!!!

Comment

Bacon bacon

Comment

Great job Rickey. Can't wait to see you on Labor Day weekend for the stag hunt!

Comment

Can I sour some corn at your house? J/k I don't think the wife (or anyone else) would like the idea as much as I do.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X