Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losthawg does this help.

IMPULSE: An impulse is equal to the net force of the object times the time period over which the force is applied. The impulse equation is mathematically derived from the equation F = ma, which comes from Newton’s Second Law of Motion. Study the following. It shows the derivation of the impulse formula.

Line 1: Force equals mass times acceleration.

Line2: Substituting the definition of acceleration for “a” in the equation.

Line 3: Algebraic rearrangement. The force multiplied by the change in time equals the mass multiplied by the change in velocity.

The first line is our familiar equation F = ma.

The second line expresses the acceleration by its basic definition, a change in velocity divided by the change in time.

The third line is arrived at through algebra, by multiplying each side of the equation by delta t (which is the symbol for change in time), canceling it on the right, effectively moving it over to the left.

Comment

Great, thanks Buff, now I'm gonna have to go soak my head.

Yeah, the edumacated formula. Ain't my fault I growed up in backwoods Arkansas!! (Air Force took some of it out, not all of it...)

Comment

Maybe this explains it a little easier
        When the mass of a moving object remains constant, as with an arrow in motion, the net force equals the mass (in slugs) times the change in velocity divided by the time period over which the change occurs. By definition, the change in velocity divided by the change in time gives the acceleration of a moving body. Therefore: when the mass of a moving body remains constant the force will equal the Mass (in slugs) times the Acceleration. (Force equals mass times acceleration. In equation form this is expressed as: F = ma).

Comment

this last formula explains why I shot thru an elk with a bow that doesn't have the KE of a kids bow.

Comment

motion

I make a motion that the LSBA meet on the 17th of March 2007 at College Station Texas to discuss this and put forward a letter to the Texas Parks & Wildlife folks that the 40# Minimum weight for hunting Texas game be abolished.

Thanks

Tink

Comment

Anyway, I personally think that if a 30# compound can get the job done, a properly set up 30# traditional bow can too. Of course, I prefer to use as much weight as I can handle with proper form and accuracy. Thankfully, that's well above any of the set minimums. However, my sons and daughter are still short of the minimum. Which, we need to improve upon.
              Last edited by LostHawg; 03-02-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

You'd think they could at least lower it for turkey, no?

Comment

I would assume that wild turkey are considered game as far as regulation go. The LSBA proposal would remove any and all bow weight limitations.

Good point Sir

Tink

Comment

That's too much trouble. It's easier for game wardens to just browse the hunting magazines looking for perps!
                    Snakelover...you pokin fun here

Comment

You'd be surprised how tough a turkey is with all those feathers. If you watch some of the videos, the arrow doesn't always pass through ... just like deer.

Comment

Make do

Well, my little girl isn't even pulling #30 yet so for now we'll have to stick with rabbits, coons & bowfishing. That's why I posted the coon baiting question. That way she can hunt while she waits.

Comment

I make a motion that the LSBA meet on the 17th of March 2007 at College Station Texas to discuss this and put forward a letter to the Texas Parks & Wildlife folks that the 40# Minimum weight for hunting Texas game be abolished.

Thanks
                          Tink
                          That sounds like a plan to me!

My first thought is to lower the min. draw weight to 30# if there has to be a number set in black in white. I like the idea of abolishing the min. draw weight just as much as reducing the weight.

I will support that 100%!

I posted aSurvey Question: Lowering draw weight back in Feb. after a many e-mails with a LSBA member.

I posted it here, Bowsite, and a couple other sites. The min. draw weight was 40# in most states. One was 30# and one was no min. draw weight.

Of course there was a big debate here and on soem of the other sites.
                          I am really suprised that as many people that claim to be supporters of getting youth and women into archery are so opposed to changing the min. draw weight. When I posted the survey question I was thinking that this would benifit many peole and not just kids and women.

Seems like a lot of people feel a high poundage bow (40# or higher) is need to kill animals effectivly...It doesn't!
                          A Easton Redline 690 22" long, Magnus Stinger 85 gr. (approx. 285 total arrow weight ) and a Browning Micro Midas at 27-28# (around 195fps) will create about 24lbs. of KE. This enough KE to kill a whitetail deer and hogs.

It cracks me up to hear people say that it gives a kid something to work up to. How about all the work a kid has put into practicing on making the best shot? I would say 95% of what kills an animal is shot placement anyway.

As a parent I want my kids to be able to hunt an animal, whitetail included, when they want to not. I don't then to do it when I want it or when I think they are mature enough. And being albe to pull 40# doesn't make a kid mature enough to kill something either. I know grow adults that aren't very mature and they can pull back 65#.

If a weight limit must be imposed I'd say make the min. draw weight 30# for all bows, if the abolishing the weight limit isn't suitable for TP&W.

Comment

I can relate. I have a bad arm and pull only 40 but I run the risk of doing some damage to my arm, I wish it was lower!

Comment

I would not like some one to shoot me with a 30# Compounds and a Magnus

i found that the gold tip Kids a arrows one tough and heavy arrow and slips thru game like a bolt of greased lightning

Cheap too they have a name I cant recall they are not very straight but I never ever saw one broken the heavy arrow weight runs the KE up big time

good Post Sir

I find the one that are most against it are traditional shooters oddly enough

But here on Texan vote as this is our state, our kids, our rules right?

i could live with 30# but still game Wardens should have more urgent tasks rather than harassing kids 7 women

lets see that this here BOW bow is only 29# I am going to hafta take you bow ma'am

Just sign this ticket here etc i have to keep you bow as evidence, and after the trail you can petition the courts to return your property to you sometime next year...

no call for that If the game wardens want to help they would check every hunter to insure that hey had shaving sharp broadheads

every father will make the callas to what "Junior' or "Missy" can pull and when theyare ready to bowhunt.

Its a parent's call. not the States call IMHO
                              Thanks great Post
                              Tink

Comment

Dang Howie, that bow/arrow combo did that, my kid shoots that same set up but at 40# and 100 gr, he is still looking for his first score. I'll have to show him that picture, that'll get him motivated!!! Thanks Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X