Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
    LOL @ 135yard test...............Thumper....where do you propose a warden does the test? At what angle are you suppose to shoot? How many shots do you get? Into the wind or down wind?
    That was the law back then and actually it made more sense than the 40# one.

I know it was law back in the early 80's because I remember joking about it in camp. I think the 40# rule came into effect in the mid 80's when I was shooting a 85# Goldeneagle with 35% let-off. I was getting around 230 fps about what Cat's 34# bow gets now.

Comment

The Doppler chronograph shown is very inaccurate its varies as much as s 20 fps between shot from same bow There was an article on this .

To weigh a bow the GW must used State of Texas certified bow scale and it has to be re calibrated frequently... Putting stickers on a bow won't work and compounds have Allen bolts you can change and they do work loose. Once is sticker is applied they are obsolete. bad idea.
      See Nugent Post. Bows do change weight.
      Heck Shermaine Nugent killed a huge 600# Zebra with 38# Good for her!

The whole idea was to Set a standard for hunters using traditional tackle way back then in the 1940s & 1950s. States copied each other.

Easton's charts are worthless as there is or was Little scientific research to correlate bow mass weight to kill effectiveness. Ask Dr Ed Ashby.

Here is Red Dots seven foot one inch gator shot thru the brain with a 35# Parker Challenger bows and a GRIZZLY 170 grain 2 blade Traditional Broadhead one arrow kill on a Texas Diva hunt

The NRA paid for 1/2 the Hunt & TSRA as it was NRA Sponsored gator Hunt.

Comment

Dena, so you believe there should be an age limit as well. What age limit should be in place?

Yall are using the weight limit to restrict involvement in bow hunting and it was never meant to do that.
        Last edited by Cotton; 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

This thread is another example of the lack of education about traditional bows.

Comment

SCOERT SIR
            Thansk for your input and info.

I feel strongly that one one should bowhunt what ever the age until he /she has passed the National Bowhunter Education Pprogram/NBEP IBEP.

I had a seven year old South African girl who spoke no English just Afrikaans 2nd grade that took the course & answered all IBEP EXAM questions orally and scored 100% of the 34 question exam. On the Impala kill chart she score 19 of 20 for an A + Score.

I would have no problem letting kids that passed the IBEP Hunt with me anytime. we had a 6 year old that killed 3 warthog and a huge impala ram with a 25# HOYT bow in South Africa.

Thanks

its all about bowhunter education.

Photo of Red Dots first midwest wt deer 100% pass thru light Parker Bow

Comment

A traditional bow uses the weight of the arrow to its advantage. A heavier arrow will increase the efficiency of the working limbs. Coupled with a cut on contact head, the MOMENTUM of the arrow will make up for the loss of KE produced by a faster bow shooting a lighter arrow.

As I'm not a scientist or engineer, I don't have the smooth tongue to say it, but one's a croc the others a gator: BOTH are deadly and formidable tools that are cool to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
                This thread is another example of the lack of education about traditional bows.
                Tracy please elaborate! We need the experience trade shooters in on this conversation too!

Edumacate us!

Comment

I have had hogs taken with as little as #20 pounds of pull. A good sharp broadhead and straight flying arrows are the ticket.
                  I have also talked to a gamewarden that stated," #40@28,Yes its legal". But she doesn't draw it that far."#40@28 go hunt".

Comment

My friend that got me started bowhunting said that back in the 40's and 50's, many a deer took a dirt nap because of a 20# fiberglass bow.

Comment

Cotton, I just don't know how to explain it. One uses Kenetic energy with a light(er) arrow: Compound. The other uses momentum with cutting edge. Both accomplish the same task, but in a different manner.

If you use too light an arrow on a traditional bow the energy in the limbs will work against itself. A heavier arrow will absorb the energy and produce a more efficient shooting bow (traditional). Sort of like striking an object with a 5# bat as opposed to a 3.5# bat. Both at the same speed; the heavier of the two will produce more damage. So, a stronger person swinging the lighter bat can get the same damage the weaker person gets with the heavier bat.

How do we do this with bows? Simple, well not to me I'm still working at it, incorporate speed enhancing devices in the working frame (cams/wheels) that will not be hindered by a loss of energy due to less efficient working parts (limbs). (This is hurting my brain, I'm not used to thinking too deeply, gonna take a break. )

I always feel uncomfortable disagreeing on this site as folks tend to think I'm knocking the compound bow. I'm not. I'm all about the hunt and "harvest". If you want to use a compound, come on. Lets go HUNTING. I'll stand by you just as strongly as any other.

Comment

TyWeaver took a ton of African game with a bow about 30/35# a few year ago

Ty was about 6 or 7 when he fist started bowhunting Africa here are some of his older bow kills on the dark Continent

Comment

"So you think there should be an age limit on hunting! How old should a kid be before they can hunt?"
                          Not at all, I think it should be based on their ability to draw a bow consistently and make good shots. Being mature enough to do that varies with children and I would rather be the one to make that call than someone else.

Comment

Not at all, I think it should be based on their ability to draw a bow consistently and make good shots. Being mature enough to do that varies with children and I would rather be the one to make that call than someone else.
                            I'm sorry I thought you were saying by keeping the higher draw weight it would insure someone was mature enough.

Comment

Did that make sense at all Cotton? I hope so.

I really need to stay out of these discussions. I'm not too well versed in the explanation of theory.

Comment

Yep, Tracy that makes perfect sense.

I always feel uncomfortable disagreeing on this site as folks tend to think I'm knocking the compound bow.
                                Well that would be their problem, I take it as an opportunity to learn something! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X