Am I wrong in thinking this way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
    Enjoy the summer with your little one and take her fishing or shooting.
    No need to worry about that. We definately have those bases covered. In two weeks we will be heading to Ft. Benning Ga. to the US Army Marksmanship Unit for a weeklong smallbore rifle clinic taught by some of the top smallbore and air rifle shooters in the world.

at her first 50 and 100 meter match.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03550 [640x480].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	23888900

Name:	DSC03557 [640x480].JPG
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	23888901
    Her end of school year present a Walther lg300 junior precision air rifle.

Name:	DSC03578 [640x480].JPG
Views:	2
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	23888902

Name:	DSC03580 [640x480].JPG
Views:	3
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	23888903
    Her new 6'6" Med action spinner with her favorite color green blank and pink wraps. Her name is a little dark on the blank but still legible. Made by a guy that works for me, one of his first builds.

Name:	DSC03585 [640x480].JPG
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	23888905

Name:	DSC03587 [640x480].JPG
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	23888904

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
    6th grade dude....my wife is a teacher and I have seen her bring all her papers home to grade and I don't see how she never loses any of them. 6th grade... All I can say is yeah, go to bat for your daughter, but keep in mind before you alienate your family at that school, its only 6th grade. In the grand scheme of it all, this matters nothing for her high school ranking. However, I am not a parent, so my opinion could be way off base.
    Funny thing is, is that my GF is a teacher in the same district and both of my parents were, and for once she is in complete agreement with me. She says that the non communication by the teacher is totally unprofessional, especially one who has been teaching for 13 years. Thanks for the insight.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I understand your frustration. Last year, my daughter got her very first "B" ever, in of all things, PE. I emailed the teacher to see what the problem was, and was told that Courtney forgot her gym shoes twice (once was the first day after Christmas break, and Courtney was sporting her new cowboy boots), and each time that happened, there was a three point deduction in her grade. OK, fair enough. But, that's only six points, so I asked what the grading criteria was for the other six points (her grade was an 88) that resulted in the "B". The teacher responded that a student starts off with a 94 in PE, instead of a 100. To me, that sounded crazy, but after not making any headway after diplomatically arguing with the teacher, Courtney and I chalked it up as a learning experience. She was pretty disappointed that it was the first "blemish" on her report card, but sometimes life, and school, just ain't fair.

I'd continue to politely ask questions of the teacher, principal or superintendent, if you feel compelled to see if they might be willing to give your daughter the benefit of the doubt in this situation. I wouldn't be accusatory toward the teacher, but point out that it seems pretty obvious that your daughter completed the test, in which case it was obviously misplaced somewhere along the way. By my calculations, she would have needed to score roughly 6.5 points on that open book test to bring her grade from 88.8 to 89.5, or from a B to an A (depending, of course, on the weight of the grades listed above). You might ask if there's anything she could do this summer to "EARN" those extra 6 or 7 points. It seems that a social studies teacher that was really interested in a child's learning would see that as an opportunity.

Michael

Michael
    Spoken like only a wise man would. Thank you.
    You ever thought about being a professional counselor or mediator. You might have missed your calling.

Thanks to all for the support and to the others for their insights and their points of view.

Is it hunting season yet?

>E
    Last edited by aironeout; 06-06-2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
      Just go ask her teacher on a date
      I'm already dating one teacher. I'd never win an argument if I had 2. Plus I'll keep the one I have and let you have this one.

>E

Comment

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
        Yep

Comment

NO!!, Heck no, you are not wrong in being upset about an obvious moronic teacher's screw up. After reading your kids grades, it is also obvious that she had been a responsible young lady, and now all of sudden she threw responsibility out the window????....I don't think so.

I have seen this type of behaviour from schools and never do wrong teachers on certain occasions concerning my little grand daughter. On the first occasion after my daughter failed to get satifactory results from the school board, i personally went along with her and asked to talk to the teacher in question in the presence of the principle and other board members. After i aggressively questioned her, it was obvious that she had dropped the ball (I had an ace up my sleeve, my hunting buddy's son was dating her and on the night before, she was drunk as a pig on sour mash, and i casually mentioned that during my questioning). Even after we were told that the matter would be corrected i let them have a stern piece of my mind.

Never let you kid out from under your wing in matters such as these.

Comment

Sounds like a principal thing. I've told my son if he does everything right and the school is in the wrong, That I would go to WAR for him but it was up to him to do the right thing. It sounds like the teacher could have made a mistake. That "B" could be the difference in #1 and #2 in her graduating class, if this was her High school career. If it were me I would take it as far as I had to, to get to the bottom of the situation. You never know, This could be "THE" life lesson that really hits home with your daughter, and really hit home with her that yes you do TRULY have her back. JMHO

Comment

Teachers lose assignments period! It happens to everyone, its not always the students fault and it deff isnt always the teachers fault but it happens!

Comment

Adults make mistakes every day, I know I do. Teacher should have recognized that something was very wrong and immediately asked a question. Can't say I would have given her an "A" but I would have given her the opportunity to resubmit the paper based on her prior performance.

Comment

First things first, I am a teacher and will not give a 6 wks or final grade that ends in 9. It is my final decision on what grade that student gets but 69 79 89 99 just doesn't look good on a report card.

I want to make clear that I am not defending this paricular teacher in this particular case. I do not have enough facts to do so. I am defending teachers in general and responding to the claim that it is a teachers fault when a student does not turn in a paper. When I give an assignment it is my job to make sure the student understands the directions, has the skills and the materials to complete the assignment correctly, if the assignment is to be done in class it is my responsibilty to make sure the student is making an attempt to complete the assignment and to do so correctly, it is also my job to make sure the student is aware of the due date and procedures for turning in the assignment. It is not however my responsiblity to hold their hand and make their mark for them. If I do not recieve an assignment on time, points are lost. The student is reminded to turn in the assignment for the credit that is available to them. If the student chooses not to turn in an assignment, that falls on them. Students whether they are 12 or 22 have to accept a certain amount of responsibility for their education. I am there to provide it and make it fruitful as possible, but they have to meet me somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for the rant.

In all honesty in this situation with the information given I think something is fishy with the teacher, so please believe me, I am not defending this teacher.

Comment

I see this as an issue of whether you trust your daughter's word, versus the teachers word. Back in my day we'd turn in the assignments and we had an English teacher that was not good at her job. She did not want to be there. She would allow us to turn in a paper, and just leave it on the corner of her desk while she was down the hall shootin' the breeze with another teacher - who also didn't want to be there.

Lot's of papers came up missing. One of mine did. My mom threatened to whip both the teacher's booty and the principal's booty and "other arrangements" were made. Now, I respected my mom before this, but she had my complete respect afterward - as well as that of the principal and the teacher.

If you believe your daughter, then go take a stand for her.

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
                      First things first, I am a teacher and will not give a 6 wks or final grade that ends in 9. It is my final decision on what grade that student gets but 69 79 89 99 just doesn't look good on a report card.

I want to make clear that I am not defending this paricular teacher in this particular case. I do not have enough facts to do so. I am defending teachers in general and responding to the claim that it is a teachers fault when a student does not turn in a paper. When I give an assignment it is my job to make sure the student understands the directions, has the skills and the materials to complete the assignment correctly, if the assignment is to be done in class it is my responsibilty to make sure the student is making an attempt to complete the assignment and to do so correctly, it is also my job to make sure the student is aware of the due date and procedures for turning in the assignment. It is not however my responsiblity to hold their hand and make their mark for them. If I do not recieve an assignment on time, points are lost. The student is reminded to turn in the assignment for the credit that is available to them. If the student chooses not to turn in an assignment, that falls on them. Students whether they are 12 or 22 have to accept a certain amount of responsibility for their education. I am there to provide it and make it fruitful as possible, but they have to meet me somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for the rant.

In all honesty in this situation with the information given I think something is fishy with the teacher, so please believe me, I am not defending this teacher.
                      Niiccee!

Comment

You have recieved a lot of good advice so far. My thought is that this really shouldn't be about the grade. Nor whether the teacher is right or wrong. This should be you and your daughter. You should make sure that your daughter knows that you believe her and that you know that she earned the better grade. You should stand up for her to the powers to be. Not so as to bang into the brick wall, but to let her know that her dad is on her side. Also let her know that we all, children and adults, run into situations where right does not always prevail and all you can do is continue to try your best. You will "earn" the A in her mind, which is really more imporatant than a pience of paper anyways.

Comment

Gentlemen, there is alot more at stake here than just either a "B" or an "A" grade. As it was in my grand daughter's situation, at the end of it all, i made it clear to the powers at hand after it was obvious that the teacher had being negligent, and just simply decided to sacrifice the trust and respect that my child had, for the sake of not being proven wrong.

I myself decided that the final lesson taught to my grand daughter was not going to be one of stupidity. That just because of higher authority it was the final word, and be called a liar..period!. NO!.. children are young and impressionable, how would that lesson sink in and effect them the rest of their life.

That was part of my stern piece of mind to them, after the matter was correct and the teacher as decipline apologized to my grand kid. I DEMANDED THAT for the sake of my kid.

Comment

I think you are taking this a bit too far. First, your daughter is only in 6th grade. This has no bearing on her GPA that will impact her class standing (ie, her college entrance).

Did your daughter turn in the work? Maybe yes maybe no. There is no way to tell unless the paper shows up.

Why do you say that the teacher did not do her job by verifying that your daughter was doing her work? Could it not have been partially completed at home? Even as an option? It is not unusual for students to work on assignments in class, stick them in their books, and never turn them in. It is especially magnified at the end of each semester when the students minds begin to wander and ponder the upcoming summer or winter breaks. With that said, the really crappy part is that if the teacher cleans his/her desk off at the end of the year, after school is out and grades are submitted, and finds your daughters papers it will likely make no difference.

My suggestion is that if you feel she is telling the truth and you believe what she is saying, take this opportunity to reward her for her grades and treat the B as if it were an A. Use this event to let her know that you trust her and her actions. It'll be a great benefit for you in about 3 or 4 years.

I know that this doesn't relate to your problem, but I really want to vent about this. I know that I am in the minority but, I feel that teachers are in the classroom to teach, not to babysit. I think that the teacher should present the information to the students, assign the appropriate work, and evaluate the work of the students. I do not think that they (the teachers) should be required to make sure the students are doing their work. That responsibility is one for the students. If they (the students) do not want to learn then it should not be forced upon them. It is only the responsibility of the school/teacher to provide the information and the opportunity for the student to learn....not to make them learn.

Comment

If I were in your shoes, I would probably let it go at this point on because it is 6th grade.....unless she WANTS yout go all the way to the superintendent

I would feel real bad about making her cry and it's cool that she is seeing you fight and believe in her & I think the most important part of this story is right here!! To me, you have done your job well & I would let it go if both teacher and principal are against you both.

There are going to be lots more of 'lost reports' and issues in life that we all have to deal with that certainly are not fair......I would put my efforts here as 'the life is unfair deal is way too true.'

My son is about to get into 6th and has straight A's, the teachers love him and he's also a great athlete and solid kid and it all comes easy for him.

We pulled our daughter out of 2nd this year because she was struggling and we have now home school her for about 3-4 months now. Pretty anti-social until she warms up and just two completely different kids. She does not like home school just like she did not like regular school. Math is really tough for her but she fights through it and I think she will be OK and has not failed anything. She also has seizure's from time to time and we pray for healing daily....we role with life's punches every day, correct?? Ask your daughter what she really wants you to do and Put your time where you and your daughter feel it is best.

Comment

taught school for thirty years and had several cases like this and one thing that i would tell you is you are right in standing up for your daughter. but when this came up the first thing that i would tell the parents is to check your daughters notebook, i bet it might be there. probably not way to check the notebook know that school is out but that is what i would tell the parents that came to see me

Comment

Working...
                                X