Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Chasing #28!!!!! Polar Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a great adventure and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking forward to following along! This should be yet another epic Doc May adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good luck doc! Thanks for taking us with you!

Comment

Living the dream. Good luck Doc

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
            I have prepared, I promise! Like I have said, it's about the experience. I am about to embark on an adventure very few will ever experience. I know there will be hardships. Many hunts have been challenging and tough. If some terrible thing should happen then everyone should know I went out with a smile.
            That is what life is all about...living large, and you do that well!!! I'm sure you won't have much, if any, cell service, but we will be following, waiting for the updates. Like Buff and Landrover, you guys don't disappoint! Good luck and make sure your beneficiaries are up to date on your life insurance!

Comment

Good skilling MrMay.
              Im really interested to hear how all your gear works in those temps…what goes right (hopefully everything) and what goes wrong (hopefully nothing) with those conditions.

The slaying approacheth.

Comment

36 hours and I'll be headed to the airport to start the journey to the north!

Comment

Have fun Doc, looking forward to the updates.

Comment

Good luck! That is a hunt of 100 lifetimes. Enjoy every second!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of Success Doc, Subscribed!

Comment

Layers!!!! I am not taking any of the heated stuff. Won't be able to charge it after we head out. No power for at least 10 days or until bear is killed. I have a bunch of hand and foot warmers. I will wear a light wool base layer, heavy wool layer, vest, puffy coat and then bids and parka over the top. The Inuit community gives you some arctic clothing to wear as an outer layer. That's boots, bids and parka. Is that enough to stay warm? I have no idea! I will at least take off the parka, goggles and any thick face covering to shoot. Also, will take off heavy gloves and just wear liners to shoot. I bought two new releases that are bigger to allow for better fit with gloves on(ultra view large releases vs medium). They did have a bowhunter 2 years ago that was hunting muskox. Apparently he took his gloves off to shoot but it took a while to get the shot. He got frostbite and lost 3 fingers. I am also taking a sleeping bag that is rated to -40. It's a beast!!!!!!
                        Congrats on taking the next step Doc! I had a conversation with the Kanati folks this year also concerning replica's. This crazy USFWS mess concerning importation of Polar Bears is downright embarrassing. YES, the stick-on large hand warmers are worth their weight in gold. Oh, they also make some they call lap warmers (i think 18x18) that I had in Saskatchewan. The Inuit outer layer is legit from talking to a couple of folks that have done the trip. Enjoy the adventure, protect those fingers, and shoot straight as the dogs will have that bear peeved off!!!
                        Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        That is what life is all about...living large, and you do that well!!! I'm sure you won't have much, if any, cell service, but we will be following, waiting for the updates. Like Buff and Landrover, you guys don't disappoint! Good luck and make sure your beneficiaries are up to date on your life insurance!
                        Ha!!!
                        I am swinging for the fences like Buff & DocMay. This bowhunt is extreme next level, but definitely on the list someday!

Comment

In your line of business don't lose any of those fingers. Your the man.

Comment

Grise Fiord is the 2nd furthest North population in North America, pretty WILD! That’s an adventure in its self. Good luck!

Comment

There are a few options. You can store it with a taxidermist in Canada and hope the rules change. You can mount it and put it in somebody's place that allows importation. Or, you can give it to the locals. My plan is to give it to my guides. I have zero faith that our government will ever allow polar bears to come in. And that is dumb and not based on science! At this point my hunting is more about the experience than anything else.
                              People smuggle drugs and stuff everyday put that hide in your wife’s bag and hope for the best lol
                              Last edited by The Skunk Ape; 03-26-2023, 05:30 PM. Reason: Phone autocorrected

Comment

If you get one, try to get a pic of you laying next to it. There will be no other frame of reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X