No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunter's Thread 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never saw a buck chasing a doe hard all this week in Jim Hogg. We did rattle in like 12 bucks in 4 setting.

Comment

Sounds like some of us are dealing with the same - headed back down this week, hopefully things will pick up. Some bucks have started showing back up busted up a little so we'll see.

Comment

Been a parade of bucks tonight. Almost got the rifle out once but what’s the rush, still almost a month of buck season left for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
          Sounds like some of us are dealing with the same - headed back down this week, hopefully things will pick up. Some bucks have started showing back up busted up a little so we'll see.
          I came down December Saturday the 16th and saw bucks chasing the first couple of days then the rest of the week no much deer activity at all. Came back down today and saw 35 deer and the bucks were back together. Only saw one busted up buck so I’m thinking there wasn’t a real hard rut this year or that it happened before December 16th.

Only saw two young bucks fight around the 16th or 17th and that was it.

I saw a little bit of chasing but the bucks would just come right back to the corn. I’d say it’s post rut here in Brooks County.

Comment

From a lease mate.

Comment

Saw a young buck chasing a doe yesterday at about 10 am. Saw him again yesterday evening trailing her. No mature buck activity though.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                From a lease mate.
                I had to look twice….thought for a second that was a pic from our place
                lol

Comment

Pretty much all our middle-aged bucks are broken up. Couple of our guys found two good bucks locked up. One was down. After a few attempts, they were able to use a saws-all and cut enough of their antlers away to separate them. One of them took off but it was 45 minutes or so before the other one was able to get his feet under him and leave. They hung around to make sure the coyotes didn’t get him. Was a couple of our up and comers. One of them was seen at a feed station a couple days later. Seemed to be just fine.

Comment

With the rain forecasted for tomorrow this is likely my last sit of general season. I will kill a doe or two during doe season but fingers crossed a shooter shows tonight

Comment

Sure wish I was down there! My cameras have been blowin' up! Got a new biggun showin' up that I'd really like to see up close in person! Likely ain't old enuf, but he's dang sure big enuf! Hope he sticks around and my feed station becomes his new favorite! Good timing on the rain too... We haven't had any "tank fillers", but we've had good rains all this year. Dang buffle grass was still green and tassling until this recent freeze. It's greener now than it is in a drought year in September! Quail are lovin' it too. Gonna hammer them come February tho! Got me a new shotgun to try out on 'em...

Comment

Working...
                      X