Carne Guisada recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
    Chlli powder (fiesta brand fancy light preferred)
    Garlic powder
    Cumin
    Salt
    Pepper
    Lawrys
    Accent
    Salt

Heavy chilli powder lighter on rest. Depends on how much meat you’re using.

Boil water meat and seasoning, make a small rue with flower and mix in to thicken. I make roughly 40lbs every 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 lbs a week hu? I just knew Aquilla had more deer!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      If you guys want to do Carne Guisada that is authentic Mexican style, use the recipe in this link. My wife has been using it now for a few years, and she tries to duplicate it just as it is written. At our deer lease, we usually all bring a dinner for each night we plan to stay. My camp mates always ask for this for "Mexican night"! And it's like chili or a big pot of beans, it's even better warmed over. Additionally, it is a pretty dish to cook. All the ingredients are fresh. The only substitution my wife makes is we use venison instead of beef most of the time.

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/m...guisada-2.html
      I can vouch for this recipe, I've been doing something very similar for years minus the cumin. Add jalapenos or serrano, sometimes I add corn. It never goes to waste

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        80 lbs a week hu? I just knew Aquilla had more deer!

Ha, yeah right. Ain’t no deer over there. I have to use beef to feed all those Parker county residents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the thread OP. It all sounded so good I talked myself into trying my jabs at it. Used some cubed up doe backstrap. Used Legdogs recipe and it came out great. Got it close to done, then through some potato chunks in and cooked until they were soft. Wife loved it.

Comment

One of the beauties of Carne Guisada and other stew recipes is you get to use up some of the sub-prime cuts.

Stews are designed to break down cuts that would be tough if cooked fast and/or hot.

I have occasionally cubed blackstrap or cooked it for longer periods but it usually ends up breaking down too much instead of staying in bite size chunks.

But you cannot argue with the taste.

Comment

I like to use red chili pods to make really fresh pork stew. Cheap and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                This is the recipe I chose, and like most recipes, I tweaked it a bit by adding green Chile and a dash of chili powder and using bacon grease instead of lard. But it was outstanding!

I’ll try Legdog’s, but this will be tough to beat. Family has already asked me to make it again next weekend for an after thanksgiving meal

[ATTACH]1109878[/ATTACH]
                Cool deal Playa. Glad y’all enjoyed it. My wife tweaks hers a bit too depending on who she’s expecting to feed. Our grandsons love it but she backs of the pepper a bit for them.

Comment

I bought two packages of the HEB seasoned CG meat.

I followed their directions but substituted the tomatoes and green hatch chilies instead of water while boiling meat.

I then transferred everything to crock pot.

I then diced and sautéed an onion, red pepper, and jalapeño. Transfered to crock pot.

Added one tsp of chili powder and Montreal steak seasoning. Added 4 tbsp of flour and will cook on high for 2 hours.

It was a combination recipe of meat church, HEB, and what I read here. Will let you know how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
                    I bought two packages of the HEB seasoned CG meat.

I followed their directions but substituted the tomatoes and green hatch chilies instead of water while boiling meat.

I then transferred everything to crock pot.

I then diced and sautéed an onion, red pepper, and jalapeño. Transfered to crock pot.

Added one tsp of chili powder and Montreal steak seasoning. Added 4 tbsp of flour and will cook on high for 2 hours.

It was a combination recipe of meat church, HEB, and what I read here. Will let you know how it turns out!

Added three more tablespoons of flour and uncovered for last hour, awesome flavor. It needs more heat but wifey and MIL don't enjoy. I'd add two more jalapeños with seeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X