Flight to Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight to Africa

When's the best time to book month and day of the week, what airline do you recommend, etc? Planning to go this summer (God willing).

I like booking mine Tuesday - Wednesday. Look at Kayak. Looking forward to a thread after you get back! There's no place like hunting Africa

Comment

Been a few times, Qatar is far and way the best. Recommend business class.
      Outstanding customer service, roomy enough to sleep, food is excellent.

Never had a big preference on day of the week, that was contingent on the hut dates.

Comment

I flew British air and booked once school was back in session but I'm a po boy.

Comment

Emirates is pretty darn cool in the cabin class.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            When's the best time to book month and day of the week, what airline do you recommend, etc? Planning to go this summer (God willing).
            If you are flying to Johannesburg, Delta or United are likely the best. A few others have flights going into JNB. Normally 6-8 months out is a pretty good time to book. You might see $100-200 fluctuation, but there are only 1-2 flights per day for each carrier, thus you could run into a availability issue if you wait too long.

If you are taking a gun, please avoid British Airways and the UK as a whole. I am also not a fan of travelling through France/Paris with a gun.

Delta has direct flights from Atlanta to JNB.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
              Emirates is pretty darn cool in the cabin class.
              Emirates is great, but I think you have to go through Dubai. That adds quite a bit of time to the trip if you are just going to JNB and not onward to Zim, Tanzania or Zambia.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                Been a few times, Qatar is far and way the best. Recommend business class.
                Outstanding customer service, roomy enough to sleep, food is excellent.

Never had a big preference on day of the week, that was contingent on the hut dates.
                Qatar is definitely nice. Same as Emirates though. You have to go through Doha which adds a fair bit of travel time coming and going.

Comment

Usually it's booking on a Tuesday for a flight on a Tuesday 4 weeks out. Of course, that's avg and it's all based on supply/demand of the class of service and seat you're looking for. There is no definitive answer. Prices can change up to 4 times every single day.

Comment

Delta from Atlanta to Jberg if you are going to RSA. One of the longest flights you will ever be on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                      Delta from Atlanta to Jberg if you are going to RSA. One of the longest flights you will ever be on.
                      Not as long as the flight back. :-). Pure misery.

Comment

I have flown Delta twice from Atlanta non stop to Joberg and back. Sept 2021 I flew United out of Newark to Joberg. I upgraded to Economy Plus and it was well worth the $600 upgrade. $1800 round trip from Dallas while Delta was $1700 for regular economy from Atlanta on Delta. I will probably fly United from now on. I have used Travel Express for my 4 trips.

Comment

11 trips across the pond. Been every way but tugboat. Airlines are like politics, you can always find someone who complains about something they did or didn't do.
                          Bottom line: the shortest route is Delta or United from Atlanta or Newark. You get on the plane in the USA and when you land you are in Joberg. High season(airline world) starts around first of June and ends around first of August. Significant price increase during the high season. If hunting South Africa, leave mid May. If hunting Zim, Bots, or Moz, leave early to mid August. Don't have enough space to explain why, I just know.
                          The only guarantee I can make is if this is your first trip, you will ruined for life. Best money I ever spent......and continue to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                            Usually it's booking on a Tuesday for a flight on a Tuesday 4 weeks out. Of course, that's avg and it's all based on supply/demand of the class of service and seat you're looking for. There is no definitive answer. Prices can change up to 4 times every single day.
                            So am I understanding that I should book at least 4 weeks out or do I need to wait until I am 4 weeks out? And I'll likely get better prices flying on a Tuesday? If it sounds like I'm pinching pennies, I am.

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            I have flown Delta twice from Atlanta non stop to Joberg and back. Sept 2021 I flew United out of Newark to Joberg. I upgraded to Economy Plus and it was well worth the $600 upgrade. $1800 round trip from Dallas while Delta was $1700 for regular economy from Atlanta on Delta. I will probably fly United from now on. I have used Travel Express for my 4 trips.
                            Doug I wish I could afford an extra $600 but I've heard I need to tip people.

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
                            11 trips across the pond. Been every way but tugboat. Airlines are like politics, you can always find someone who complains about something they did or didn't do.
                            Bottom line: the shortest route is Delta or United from Atlanta or Newark. You get on the plane in the USA and when you land you are in Joberg. High season(airline world) starts around first of June and ends around first of August. Significant price increase during the high season. If hunting South Africa, leave mid May. If hunting Zim, Bots, or Moz, leave early to mid August. Don't have enough space to explain why, I just know.
                            The only guarantee I can make is if this is your first trip, you will ruined for life. Best money I ever spent......and continue to spend.
                            We are hunting RSA and will fly into Joberg. I wish I could avoid the high season but I'm a teacher and have off in June and July.

Comment

Book as soon as you can. Might get better rates. I booked as early as I could. My trips have been in Sept!

Comment

Working...
                              X