No announcement yet.

Civil War Diary & Sketches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man this is cool! Thank you for sharing!!

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Mon. Jan 23, 1865
      Today dawns disagreeable and unhealthy. A foggy, rainy morning this is with plenty of slush upon the ground to make your feet wet and your legs feel bad. If they make none of those horrid worth less details today a person by staying indoors can make himself comfortable. But pity the man that has to do dredging out side of the camp who will just receive what the officials, sitting around their warm stoves swilling whiskey. — I wish ( ? ) would split all such ****able persons - such pinpositive pimps. They ain’t worth
      ? )in hell.

Tues. Jan 24, 1865
      It rained all day yesterday & cleared up cold towards night. I slept warmer last night than I expected. Jerry traded boots with Plumm, of Chicago, but they being too small I took them for $6.00. They are real Cavalry boots. ( ? ) After winter I will send them home for home use. I signed accounts for clothing last night. This raises prospects of our going to the Regt. We have a ( ? ) to write to Lieut. Lucas today to ask whether he cannot get an order to have us forwarded to our Regt. Had quite a conversation with a ( ? ) Dutchman yesterday. ( ? ) interesting. I have his direct ions.

Wed. Jan 25, 1865
      Orders came unexpectedly for us to pack up and leave. Orders were obeyed and starting at 12 o’clock we arrived at the Soldier’s— Rest, Alexandria at 2 o’clock. This Soldier’s—Rest is the best in stitution of the kind that I ever saw. ( ? ) through the streets of Alexandria I met Gus Bechtel, in the afternoon Gus Messnig came down to see me. I was as much surprised to see them as they were to see me and the change they have undergone seems unimaginable. They look like brothers. At night while at supper an orderly from Gen. (Slaugh’s ?) Headquarters came with an order requesting my presence immediately at the Gen’l’s Headquarters where I found all the officers enjoying themselves. I was immediately upon presenting myself de tailed at Clerk in these Headquarters.— I staid overnight in the bar racks where I had a lovely sleep and from there I left this morning and came to the Headquarters where I have commenced work today, the 25th. I like it very well ( ? ) from anything to complain but I don’t believe I shall remain here long. Lieut Lucas will undoubt be after me to put me into the telegraph office at the station where I will receive Captain’s pay. I hope he will succeed. Then increase $28 per month. ( ? ) my meals and sleep in the engine house a few yards from these quarters. I met Henry Zinger this evening. He was put there from the Regt for duty. ( ? ) this morning. He was glad to hear from me. I may go up to see the boys next Sunday. I hope so. At least I will try to. We eat in the engine house also.

Comment

Just caught up! That shotgun is Aamazing!!! And that shadow box is definitely something to cherish.

Keep them coming Amigo!

Comment

Like a good novel I find myself wanting more and not being able to "put it down" until the last page has been turned. History has always fascinated me, more especially military/war history. Please keep this going and I look forward to hanging onto every future (past) word.

Michael

Comment

Just OUTSTANDING

Comment

Thurs. Jan 26, 1865
              The weather is very cold today. I wrote a letter to Mother. Fri. Jan 27, 1865
              This is a terribly cold day and I feel most miserable I can’t hardly stand still. I have been writing all day. I wish I would not feel so feverish. I won’t know what to do if I don’t feel better to—morrow. A swelling has broken out in my face and worries me so that I cannot eat. I was writing until 10 o’clock.

Sat. Jan 28, 1865
              Today dawns very cold. I had a dreadful night — slept very fev erish, more so than I ever did before. I arose at 4 in the morning. Sleep was out of the question. I could hardly eat today on account of the swelling in my right jaw — right by the ear. I wish really I could devise some means of alleviating my pain. My cold has not left me yet. Although I feel a little better than I did yesterday. not so feverish. I received a letter together with portrait today. I wish I had my letters up from the Rgmt.

Sun. Jan 29, 1865
              I had a comfortable sleep last night. The sunrise exceedingly bright this morning, and I was in hopes of having a comfortable day, but the sky was soon overcast, with heavy autumnal clouds — and to wards night it had grown really quite cold. I amused myself reading the life of ( ? ). Gus Bechtel went out to see the boys today — he promised to bring me my letters.

Sun. Feb 5, 1865
              Today Gus Bechtel, Gus Messnig and I after we had our work done, left for a visit to the Company. We got there at 12 o’clock & found the boys all well and in comfortable quarters. They were all glad to see me as was I to see them. They live in quite a picturesque country. I would not desire a better place than the one they now occupy and the ( ? ) the place quite a ( ? ) of the boys ( ? ) with the rifle pits around them ( ? ) the place quite a ( ? ). I was completely surprised to see them look so well, with no exception they are a strong hearty set of boys. Soldiers every one of them to the (T). I wish I could remain with them. While up at the other Stockade, which is ( ? ) by ( ? ) and a squad of 16. I missed the Ferry and was thereby detained until today (6). I spent the night with ( ? ) & ( ? ) or rather tried to, my sleep was ( ? ) disturbed by ( ? ) orders issued from Head Quarters for the boys to be in readiness all night in the event of a surprise. Signs of the enemy being near having been seen. I left much to my ( ? ) at 2½ ( ? ) P.M.

Comment

I believe the rest of what I have are all poems and recipes.

Wed. Nov 1, 1865
                The Woodcock
                “Hie Ho! On that glad word
                they dart,
                And ( ? ) says, with
                careful speed
                Explore the cover. Hark! that
                guest proclaims
                The woodcock’s haunt”
                Startled by the report, a woodcock springs
                From the low marsh, flitting with nimble wings:
                In rain he flies: he feels the fatal lead, Comes flapping down, and falls
                (minions ?) spread.

“Temperance, joy, and repose
                I am the door upon the doctor’s nose.”

Thurs. Nov 2, 1865
                A Coquette’s Retrospection
                I remember when he asked me
                This day, just a year ago.
                If I would not be his always
                Pleading so
                That my woman’s heart reproached me,
                While I smiled & answered — No!

I was thoughtless then, and fickle, Life to me was but a dream,
                My own wishes I made foremost,
                Yes, supreme.
                Pleasure was the god I worshipped,
                Floating down a sun—lit stream

I had lovers by the dozen.
                But, unsated, wanted more;
                Flirting was my choicest pastime,
                And I bore
                The harsh and hateful names they gave me,
                Proudly, though my heart was sore.

For I loved him and I knew it -
                And I think he knew it too;
                While I still repulsed, he lingered, Looking through
                The disguise I vainly trusted
                Would conceal my heart from view.

Lingered sadly, gazing fondly
                With his deep eyes into mine’
                Held my hand in his, and worshipped At the shrine,
                When his idol had been shattered -

Still too noble to repine.

I remember when they told me, While the drums were braying loud,
                That his regiment was passing How I bowed
                Stricken with a keen wild anguish, searching for him in the crowd!

Oh! this year of bitter mem’ries
                It has changed me much, I know,
                I have grown sedate & thoughtful,
                For the blow
                Of his going almost stunned me
                Through & through with nameless woe.

People talked at first with wonder,
                Of the change they marked in me,
                And my gay friends for a season,
                Came to see,
                What it was that kept me from them,
                With their idle flattery.

Then they left me with my sorrow.
                To repent and weep alone;
                And the dark sad days that followed,
                Oh: I moan!
                Even now as I remember
                How my heart seemed turned to stone.

But I’ve learned to hope, The future
                Still holds promised stores of bliss;
                And I dare believe, that, sometime,
                I shall kiss
                The proud lips of my dear soldier, When he comes back.. .
                Oh! What’s this?

Fighting! battle sore and bloody?
                Fighting! and repulsed again,
                With terrific, fearful slaughter?
                Why this again?
                I will read the list of wounded,
                Though I’m shure’t will be in vain.

Sure and yet my trembling finger Seems to shrink with sudden dread,
                As I slowly trace the column
                From the head.
                Down! Down, NO! NO! it shall not be!
                O God! pity He is dead

YORK HOSPITAL

Comment

Working...
                X