Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is very cool thanks for sharing.

Comment

oh wow.........now this is AMAZING stuff. That man could sketch like none other. Obviously he was well educated as the penmanship is spectacular. In 1864 & 1865 both sides of my family were in chains below I-10 in St. James & St. John Parish where just touching a book was a crime!
      Keep it coming sir........first hand real history is incredible!

Comment

Wed. Nov 30, 1864
        Nothing of much importance transpired today save the non- arrival of letters which I so patiently have waited for. But there are two mails to—morrow, perhaps I may be lucky then. - I have been on Hospital Police today. Something unusual. Am excused until Saturday when I’ll have to take another turn, unless I go to the front which I hope will transpire soon.

Thurs. Dec 1, 1864
        Today we enter upon a new month, a very fine day for a beginning - but who knows how it will end. - Allen Newland has gone to the front today - probably for overstaying his furlough. I am again disappointed, no letters A word which sounds worse to me, than “Scatter! Every man for himself.” --— Rally by the Baggage Train!” -—- I hope my hopes will not be dashed to naught again to—morrow.

Fri. Dec 2, 1864
        This is the anniversary of the Hanging of John Brown at Charleston, La. What times have occurred and past since then. Me thinks I can recall the time and hour, when at school, years ago this memorable day. Little dreaming that, that little item was to assume such a dreadful magnitude. That peaceful school class now is broken up, Each and all of us have fought under the “Stary Banner,” and “alas many, too many — now sleep beneath the sod. Antietam & Gettysburg told the tale - still no letters! — I am in for examination by the next squad.

Sat. Dec 3, 1864
        Received a letter from home today. Didn’t find them in good humor. Wish I had some of the sausages and Buckwheat cakes, that they are indulging in every morning. I think it would be a great deal better than the grub we get here, which by the way will starve a healthy man ( ? ) of these that are sickly.

Sun. Dec 4, 1864
        Answered my letter. Wrote to sister Framces, gave a very graphic description of affairs during my absence from home — Neither tolerable.

Comment

How fortunate you have such a vivid account of an ancestor during such a time.

Comment

Wow this is great! I’m in. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Mon. Dec 5, 1864
              Quite cool is the weather today. Went to town on a pass with Thos. Thomas, Co A. 7th (W?L) Infantry - quite a nice young man. The 14 & 15 Wards were examined today. Ed Gross and Sergt Myers of the 47th were also examined.

Tues. Dec 6, 1864
              This is a very disagreeable and rainy day. Five of the boys were sent to the front today.

Wed. Dec 7, 1864
              This is a very disagreeable day. Wind and rain. One of our men died today. - Wrote 3 letters, 1 to Allentown, 1 to Lehigh Co. the other to Lora Thomas. Wrote one yesterday to Jas. Wilt. No letter from E.K. today. Though I expect one from every mail.

Thurs. Dec 8, 1864
              Very cold today. Was detailed for Police duty. Ed Gross went to the front this morning.

Fri. Dec 9, 1864
              Very cold today. The coldest of this season. Received a letter from my Sister Fannie (on the 10th). Nothing unusual happened to disturb the monotony of Hospital life,

Sat. Dec 10, 1864
              Snow fell last night and this morning to a depth of 1 foot.-Stern winter has arrived. I wish I had a pair of leggins. Next time I get a pass I must try in town for a pair. I wrote a letter today to my sister — I having received one this morning. Have to have inspections. We are all ready. Our lazy nurses let the fire go out. I wish they would be reprimanded for their laziness.

Tues. Dec 13, 1864
              Only a soldier
              Gone to his rest
              With the dear banner
              Wrapped around his breast
              Only a private
              Left the stern word
              For a promotion
              Ming the bright stars!

Comment

Wed. Dec 14, 1864
                0’ my Love’s Lost
                As I was walking down by the seashore
                Where the breezes blew cold and the billens did roar
                I heard a shrill voice make a sorrowful sound
                It was the winds, and the waves, and the waters all around.
                Chorus Oh! my love’s gone.
                He’s the lad I adore,
                He’s gone where I never,—no never, no never
                Shall I see my love no more?
                She appeared like some goddess or like some Queen.
                She’s the fairest of lilies my eyes never seen
                I told her I’d marry her myself if she please
                But the answer she gave me — “My Love’s in the seas.”
                Chorus -
                The loss of my sailor I deeply deplore
                He’s lost in the seas, I shall see him no more.
                The shells of the oysters shall be my love’s bed.
                And the shrimps of the seas shall swim o’er his head.

Comment

That's some very interesting stuff. Looks like the guy was a quail hunter.

Comment

Too freaking cool

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice.....!!!

Comment

History! Love it.

Comment

This is phenomenal

Comment

In for more! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Is there any chance those pictures were already part of the diary and he didn’t actually draw them?

Comment

Incredible, thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X