No announcement yet.

Retirement age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have posted this before but no matter what your age this website/calculator that can estimate "how long your money will last" is excellent IMO. Plug in the amount of income you think you will need/want at retirement. The plug in pension, SS, etc. along with estimate for inflation and overall return on your investments. Pretty good way to create a road map to follow.

Comment

Fixing to pull the trigger now at 51. Right at 33 years fire department and they exempt us from the 10% penalty after age 50. Going to continue to work for myself but plan on being able to capitalize on opportunities that arise.
      One of the best things we did was build an RV park and maximized my contributions to retirement for the last 33 years.

Comment

Originally posted by D12 View Post
        Never will get to retire. Sucks! Guess I didn’t plan on living to retirement age. But when you start getting older and still alive the eyes open wider and wider!
        When all of you are happy and retired and living the dream Please remember to toss a bone towards the old homeless guy on the corner. He didn’t plan on his retirement. Reality

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          I have posted this before but no matter what your age this website/calculator that can estimate "how long your money will last" is excellent IMO. Plug in the amount of income you think you will need/want at retirement. The plug in pension, SS, etc. along with estimate for inflation and overall return on your investments. Pretty good way to create a road map to follow.

www.firecalc.com

I got that link from one of your previous posts and it’s the best retirement calculator I have seen-especially with the inflation we are seeing.Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what you mean by retire. Do you want a retirement hunting budget or year’s salary hunting budget?

Comment

I cant get to my 401k till 59 1/2 though I hope to slow roll after about 55. I'm 51 now and my job is already pretty laid back.

Comment

I retired at 50 and have been busy with multiple homes and a ranch to take care of

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                  I'd like to retire by 60 or a year or two after that.

I heard a financial planner one time speak about retirement and he said somthing similar to this.

The typical retirement can be broken down into 3 aging buckets - 60's, 70's and 80's.

In your 60's, you typically are still in good shape physically and mentally and for the most part, can do what you did in your 50's. It's a great time for traveling because of your physical condition and lower dependency on medical care.

In your 70's, your health begins to decline and medically, you start to become more dependent on Doctors and medical care. Traveling is still an option, although, not as good as it once was.

In your 80's, you begin to rely heavily on medical care and physically can't get around like you used to. The option of traveling becomes less and less as your dependencies for the help from others increases.

The question comes down to, which one of those buckets would you want to start retirement? Obviously, the above buckets are loaded with generalizations, although it sort of follows the average life expectancy.

One question I always have is why wait till retirement to live? Whats preventing you from working your job and traveling, going on trips, vacations, hunts every year with your alloted vacation time now?

Comment

Retired last year at 62 which was always my plan based upon my pension eligibility. Loving the new freedom.

Comment

I’m about to be 50 with a 7 & 9 year old. Will retire 2-5 years from my pension job & keep selling real estate & investing in real estate till they cover me with dirt!

Comment

Should be there just as i turn 51 with enough time off to enjoy deer season off with pay.

Comment

I planned to retire in three years at 53 then we decided to build a house. I’ll be retiring (Good Lord willing) in 5-6 years after the house is paid off. State government retirement and I’m not counting on anything from SS.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                            One question I always have is why wait till retirement to live? Whats preventing you from working your job and traveling, going on trips, vacations, hunts every year with your alloted vacation time now?
                            Not sure about him, but Im self employed and havent had a week off since 2017. Have taken a few Fridays off and halfway through the day Im so far behind I have to work part of the weekend. But I am socking away money for retirement

Comment

Right now I am planning on retiring on a Friday. Not sure which one yet. Not looking forward to being old!

Comment

As soon as possible. I will be eligible I'm 2029. I may ride until 2035.

Comment

Working...
                                X