See less

Scottish Venison Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely will do again. Good cold weather food even if today was just kind of cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You made a puff pastry? From scratch?!! Very impressed. Plan to give this a try.

Comment

Tagged for later. Looks amazing.

Comment

That looks amazing! I’m trying it next weekend.

One of my wife’s end of life trips was to Scotland. When we got to the rental on the first night, I ran off and bought twelve meat pies to test for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            You made a puff pastry? From scratch?!! Very impressed. Plan to give this a try.

Yeah it was much easier than my brain had made it out to be and obviously way better than store bought. Hard to underbake it as when it puffs up you can see the layers separate and rise from the pie. If it’s sitting fat and high its g2g.

Comment

Scottish Venison Pie

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
              That looks amazing! I’m trying it next weekend.

One of my wife’s end of life trips was to Scotland. When we got to the rental on the first night, I ran off and bought twelve meat pies to test for dinner.

Beautiful country. I was blessed to live in Aberdeen from ages 8-12 then London to 16 then back to Texas. I still make beer battered fish n chips most Saturdays drowned in salt and malt vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                What makes it ‘Scottish’? The measurements in metric?
                lmao one of the funniest lines issued around here in a long time. yall give this man some credit here...

and the pie looks awesome, thumb up

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  What makes it ‘Scottish’? The measurements in metric?
                  cause that stove top needs a scotchbright pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    cause that stove top needs a scotchbright pad?
                    Haha, my wife cleaned the heck out of the house yesterday morning. She was not happy. Flour, grease, pots and pans errywhere.

Comment

Yes please!!!

Comment

They look and I bet taste awesome. We were frying at the lease this weekend. I brought out the malt vinegar for the chips, They couldn't get enough of it.

Glad you spent some your childhood in my Hometown. My wife makes sausage rolls and they are always first to disappear at any party.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotsman 1 View Post
                          They look and I bet taste awesome. We were frying at the lease this weekend. I brought out the malt vinegar for the chips, They couldn't get enough of it.

Glad you spent some your childhood in my Hometown. My wife makes sausage rolls and they are always first to disappear at any party.

Nice. My mothers side of the family is English (London ) so it was nice we got to see the northern reaches of the British Isles. We alway had haddock in Scottish chippers and Cod in English ones. I prefer the haddock but can never find. Kroger sells bags of vacuum sealed pollock though which is very similar to haddock and is what I use.

Does your wife make butteries? I think Ill make some me for Christmas this year. Absolutely love them.

Comment

Looks great! I'm going to do something similar with dove tonight. Going to add some red wine so maybe a bit more like bourguignon

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                            I still make beer battered fish n chips most Saturdays drowned in salt and malt vinegar.
                            Care to share your recipe? I've made a couple variations found online but would rather try something more authentic.

Comment

Scottish Venison Pie

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                              Looks great! I'm going to do something similar with dove tonight. Going to add some red wine so maybe a bit more like bourguignon

Care to share your recipe? I've made a couple variations found online but would rather try something more authentic.

1 cup flour
                              1 tsp baking powder
                              1tsp pepper
                              1 tsp salt (still need to salt the fish after frying)
                              3/4 of a dark beer ish. I use Shiner room temp

Mix dry ingredients real well with a whisk before adding beer. Batter should be a fair bit thinner than pancake batter but not so thin it doesn’t stick. It doesn’t require much batter and the thinner batter will get crispy. Thick batter will be like cake. You can always throw a tbsp of flour back in to thicken it up if you go too thin. Let stand for 30 min before using.

Move finished fish to rack to stay crispy. Serve on butcher paper.

For chips the steak cut fries are the closest you can get for size/shape.

Peanut oil is obviously king.

Last edited by Ætheling; 10-31-2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

You need to make a thread on this in the recipe forum! I'd love to be able to come back to it for reference. Those meat pies look awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X