I'm ready to do some predator huntin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm ready to do some predator huntin.

I've had my fill of warm weather. I'm ready for the temperature to drop so the fur on the critters will thicken up. Saw two coyotes yesterday and my buddy got a big bobcat on his trail camera. I'm ready to do some predator calling.

Went from not seeing much for coyotes in last year. To I have shot 3 that I can confirm in last week. All juvenile. Must have been a big pup crop. This keeps up I’ll be busting out the call soon to.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
      Went from not seeing much for coyotes in last year. To I have shot 3 that I can confirm in last week. All juvenile. Must have been a big pup crop. This keeps up I’ll be busting out the call soon to.
      Yeah I've been hearing them at night. The ones we saw yesterday were young ones. They weren't very smart. If I had a rifle I could have busted one easy.

Comment

Outside garden patrol dog woke me up around 3:30 this morning. Walked out with my night vision camera and saw eyes close to the ground. Figured it was coons. Walked a little closer and it was 2 juvenile yotes. Walked back in the house and grabbed the rifle and green light. Turned the light on and they hauled tail. Got about 100 yards away and gave me a bark. Their day will come soon, if they're that lax around people.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
          Outside garden patrol dog woke me up around 3:30 this morning. Walked out with my night vision camera and saw eyes close to the ground. Figured it was coons. Walked a little closer and it was 2 juvenile yotes. Walked back in the house and grabbed the rifle and green light. Turned the light on and they hauled tail. Got about 100 yards away and gave me a bark. Their day will come soon, if they're that lax around people.
          Oh yeah they'll be back. If you didn't shoot at them they'll come back just as relaxed as they did before. That's the trouble with those young ones they're bold enough to come in to the yard.

I killed one at a friends house last year after they killed a dog in their yard. Hope you get them shot.

Comment

I had one on camera passing through frequently where I was baiting hogs. His pattern was unpredictable but I need to start baiting with scraps to see if I can lure him & bust him with the AR one night

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              I had one on camera passing through frequently where I was baiting hogs. His pattern was unpredictable but I need to start baiting with scraps to see if I can lure him & bust him with the AR one night
              Shoot a big hog and wait. You'll probably get it and some others.

I've shot them off of a dead cow before. You'll want something they'll have to work on for a while. If you use scraps put them in a 5 gallon bucket and freeze them. But that will work better if it's cold enough to keep it from thawing out fast. Or at least that's what I would try if you go that route.
              Last edited by okrattler; 09-10-2022, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                I forgot to say but I have a coyote kill thread started so if you decide to break out the call be sure to add them to it.

Comment

I got to thinkin, my buddy has a crossbow he's never shot anything except a target with. I'm thinkin I need to talk him into taking that thing out and see if I can't call him in a coyote or somethin to shoot with it this Winter. I wouldn't mind seeing if I can shoot something with it. If he don't want to I may see if I can. I've shot a coyote with a rifle, pistol and a shotgun but never a crossbow. Actually haven't shot anything with a crossbow before but a coyote would be a cool first.

If nothin else maybe call up a raccoon and thump him with that son of a gun. I would say I'll try it with a bow but......I suck with a bow I ain't gonna lie. I'd educate more than I'd hit. I think if I got one within 50 yards I could dump him with that crossbow though.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 09-14-2022, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I saw a coyote run across the highway today so that got me in predator huntin mode.LOL

Seen a dang porcupine and a badger hit on the highway today too. Stuff's starting to move around some seems like.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 09-14-2022, 10:10 PM.

Comment

They got one of our dogs a few months ago. Take em out boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        They got one of our dogs a few months ago. Take em out boys!
                        Freakin coyotes man. Sorry to hear about your dog. I've had to kill a few dog killers before myself. I'd say you're up to bat buddy. It's your turn.

Comment

What calls do you guys use?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Dog View Post
                            What calls do you guys use?
                            I have a Foxpro Inferno and a few others but that's the one I use all the time plus I have some open and closed reed calls I use too. I've used Johnny Stewart,Foxpro,Lucky Duck and a few others. The others were junk. I'd go with one of those three name brands or Burnham Brothers.

Comment

I’m ready also! Spring was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X