Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

A month too late/soon!! DANGIT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a good friend that owned property in Old Ocean, and always talked about this! I thought he was crazy, didn't know what he was talking about and never believed it until I went down and seen it for myself!! Crazy how it works there.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      I've never understood why so many call BS on this.. TPWD will verify.. Actually they will say it starts in August based on their studies.. Every year the "GS biologists show up" to debate what some of us know to be fact and no not just on BarX Ranch..
      Exactly, I'm very close to Alvin on my place. Typically we start seeing big movement about a week after Bar X gets hot. I always hope to catch some lone straggler opening day.

Comment

Absolutely, nothing new. Some of our deer get caught up in this as well.

Comment

I have heard about the early rut in that area on here every year.

What is funny to me is when people think cooler temps get deer up and moving. Food or lack thereof is what dictates movement as well as the rut which has been proven scientifically to happen at the same time every year regardless of the weather.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
            Exactly, I'm very close to Alvin on my place. Typically we start seeing big movement about a week after Bar X gets hot. I always hope to catch some lone straggler opening day.
            If you hit the woods anywhere from now to the next 2 weeks and do some aggressive rattling and grunting you will see many bucks you will never see again, not even on cameras.. They are just cruising and some for miles away I'm sure.. I have seen the majority of bigger mature bucks, over the years, by doing this in my area.. Its the next best thing to actually hunting them..

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              I have heard about the early rut in that area on here every year.

What is funny to me is when people think cooler temps get deer up and moving. Food or lack thereof is what dictates movement as well as the rut which has been proven scientifically to happen at the same time every year regardless of the weather.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              I've seen them chasing in late August in 102 degree temps.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                I noticed a big uptick in activity on my cams yesterday as well. Nothing like the entire season being post rut.
                I like hunting post rut. They get really hungry. In this case food is still all around so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Comment

Nothing going on down here but a little tending, scraping and chasing..
                  Yep it is still happening..

Comment

Our bucks are still in velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      I like hunting post rut. They get really hungry. In this case food is still all around so I guess it doesn’t matter.
                      It can be really good down here after Christmas as long as we aren't so wet that we are solid mud.. A dry late season can be dang good..

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        All of you skeptics need to move to Brazoria county for a year or 2 and get back with us with your opinions on the September rut.
                        It's just hard to believe because we hear this every year. Why not take a picture of a buck humping a doe right now?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          It's just hard to believe because we hear this every year. Why not take a picture of a buck humping a doe right now?
                          LMBO.. I've sat in the woods many hours all over this state during the rut for many years and have only seen that take place twice..
                          No way would I set down here in this heat and mosquitos trying to get that rare photo just to prove what I already know because a few knuckleheads cant believe it....
                          Carry on..

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Because that would be nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                              I think they are poking fun at the "weather kicking it off" type comments, not the timing, as it has been well documented by scientific studies since the early 90s that indeed this areas peek breeding in early Sept. I'm also sure the OP knows the weather doesn't start the rut and was making an observation that bc of the recent weather, the day time activity has been more prevalent.
                              It’s also been documented by scientific studies that deer can’t be aged by their teeth!

Comment

So deer are running around and you think they're rutting but you have not seen any actual humping.. Got it. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X