No announcement yet.

Anyone here show rabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to post a video but can’t figure it out .

Comment

We're diehard on the rabbits. A pen of rabbits at the county auction nearly pays to feed a steer for a year.
      Feed exactly what your breeder tells you.
      Work the fur every night. Breeder should explain this to you.
      Regardless of how many bunnies you have, you should have three cages ready... The all you can eat buffet pen, the maintain steady gain pen, and and the you're on a diet pen. Weigh them every single night. Keep meticulous records on how much they gain/gram of feed. Move around to different pens depending on where they are. 2 weeks out start figuring gain/day needed to nail your target weight on show day.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
        We're diehard on the rabbits. A pen of rabbits at the county auction nearly pays to feed a steer for a year.
        Feed exactly what your breeder tells you.
        Work the fur every night. Breeder should explain this to you.
        Regardless of how many bunnies you have, you should have three cages ready... The all you can eat buffet pen, the maintain steady gain pen, and and the you're on a diet pen. Weigh them every single night. Keep meticulous records on how much they gain/gram of feed. Move around to different pens depending on where they are. 2 weeks out start figuring gain/day needed to nail your target weight on show day.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info . We did buy feed from the breeder today . Do you keep yours separate or keep them all together? Right now I have them separated.

Comment

Keep them together until 2 weeks before the show. Keep them on full feed and water. What % protein is the feed? What week are the bunnies and when is the show?

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
            Keep them together until 2 weeks before the show. Keep them on full feed and water. What % protein is the feed? What week are the bunnies and when is the show?

The feed is petrus. For some reason I thought it was the breeder feed . I think the rabbits are 3 to 4 weeks old . Show is the first week of October.

Comment

Already started out with problems. One has ear mites and another has something going on with its foot . I wasn’t there when they wife and kids picked them up . I’m working nights . She sent me these pics earlier.

Comment

Does anyone still raise or show Red Satins

Comment

Get on the ear mites asap. If the foot is broke, it will DQ. What number feed is it? 700, 720, 50/50?

Comment

Get on the ear mites asap. If the foot is broke, it will DQ. What number feed is it? 700, 720, 50/50?

I’m not sure . Will have to look tomorrow. At work tonight. We have already treated the mites . I have some ivermectin left from when I raised Tamuk rabbits . Im not sure if the foot is broken or if it’s missing fur. I haven’t handled them yet .

Comment

A better picture of the foot.

Comment

So how much can you NET raising these things, on average?

Comment

Feed is 50/50 . Breeder is telling me the bad foot is ringworm . Kinda frustrated with him already. Four out of the five have issues . They will all get treated to mites tomorrow. Have to run to the feed store to pick up some ivermectin. Can’t find the stuff I had . They all got their ears tattooed today.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
                            So how much can you NET raising these things, on average?

I’m not sure . Our first year . I have seen a pen sale anyplace from 500 to about 3000 here at the small county fair . I have about 400 into them so far . The cost of the rabbits and enough feed to get me though to the sell . I already had pens set up . I use to raise meat rabbits . TAMUK rabbits

Comment

You don’t need ivermectin for mites

Comment

Tex_cattleman provided some good information. Work the fur every day.

I’ll add that when you go to pick your 3 for the show, you want to have 3 oranges. Not 2 oranges and an apple. The shows we did the judges valued uniformity over having a couple great rabbits and 1 poor one. Good luck.

Probably the best ROI on show animals at a county fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X