Anyone here show rabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here show rabbits?

My girl is supposed to pick her rabbits up tomorrow. My wife will be meeting the guy . This will be our our first year with show rabbits . What kind of feed do y’all recommend? When I had my meat rabbits I just got feed from the mill in Gonzales.

The breeder should have a recommendation for what he feeds, when we showed our breeder helped us out alot, make sure you start weighing them once the show gets close, they can get over weight real quick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Little late to be picking feed if she is picking them up now. I feed Petrus but loom for 16% protein. Keep them on full feed. Who is the breeder?

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
        Little late to be picking feed if she is picking them up now. I feed Petrus but loom for 16% protein. Keep them on full feed. Who is the breeder?

Mr. Heaton is who we are using . Out of Huntsville I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Mr. Heaton is who we are using . Out of Huntsville I believe.
          Halletsville I believe I could be wrong

Comment

It’s been a long time ago for us. Feed what your breeder feeds. Weigh regularly. Buy more than what you need. Example if showing a pen of three you might buy at least 4 or 5. Have the ability to separate them in case you have some gaining too much weight you have to control and some needing full feed. We would keep frozen water bottles in the cage for them to lay against to keep cool. Plenty of fan air movement since it’s so hot.
            The best we did was reserve grand champion. It was all luck for us.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
              Halletsville I believe I could be wrong

Halletsville is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                It’s been a long time ago for us. Feed what your breeder feeds. Weigh regularly. Buy more than what you need. Example if showing a pen of three you might buy at least 4 or 5. Have the ability to separate them in case you have some gaining too much weight you have to control and some needing full feed. We would keep frozen water bottles in the cage for them to lay against to keep cool. Plenty of fan air movement since it’s so hot.
                The best we did was reserve grand champion. It was all luck for us.

We will show a pen of three. We are getting five .

Comment

They are out of Huntsville. Keep a water bowl in the cage full with fresh water and full feed. When is the show?

Comment

We used him the last few years and my daughter won grand champion at the Wharton County fair. Can’t remember the name of the feed but it’s what he recommended. Just make sure to get your rabbits all exactly or within a few ounces of the same weight at around 5lbs each and you will do well. His son Micheal out of Cuero not Halletsville is he we used my wife said.
                    Last edited by RMW; 08-28-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Heaton has their own feed, I’d buy a bag from them if
                      possible. Throw a little coastal hay in their pen the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                        We used him the last few years and my daughter won grand champion at the Wharton County fair. Can’t remember the name of the feed but it’s what he recommended. Just make sure to get your rabbits all exactly or within a few ounces of the same weight at around 5lbs each and you will do well. His son Micheal out of Cuero not Halletsville is he we used my wife said.

Someone told me the other day that the father passed away. That is why we had such a hard time getting back in contact with them after we gave them our deposit. So ours might be coming out of Cuero . They are bringing the rabbits to us tomorrow. I won’t be there to talk with them . I will be heading to work .

Comment

County extension agent is usually really helpful in these situations. Ours helped my daughter pick her rabbits.

Comment

I'd recommend you feed and choose the 2 identical rabbits. There are usually 2 and get as much advice as you can. But the experts will tell you the right rabbit even if you have little to no background in ffa or showing rabbits at the fair.

Comment

My wife and kiddos picked up the rabbits today . She bought the feed from MR Heaton . They have developed it for their rabbits . There is no more Cuero operation. It is all in Huntsville now .

Comment

Working...
                              X