Elk Outfitter/Guide Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    I thought about the Jicarilla but thought it would be $15K+. I’ve got a 308 she can shoot, but she really likes her 25-06.

For what you want seriously look at the chama land and cattle company. I’m almost positive they can accommodate a good archery/rifle hunt during the rut. I hunt next door and they have earlier rifle than we do. It’s gonna be 12k a piece but you have to pay if you want both during the rut and 300” bulls. Lodging is A+ from what I hear as well. Def go .308 with an accubond type bullet if that’s an option.

Comment

I know Brunner and his dad went to Broadmouth outfitters. There is a pretty cool thread about it.

As far as a 25.06. My grandfather only shot that round and harvested several cows No bulls. All shots were on the neck.

If you need a good Taxi, I know a guy!
      Last edited by rut-ro; 08-24-2022, 03:43 AM.

Comment

The 25/06 will be fine, more elk killed with a 243 than you can imagine. Keep the distance at a minimum and she will be fine. I'm pretty sure if an arrow will kill one, a 25/06 will work as well.

Comment

Most states have an archery season, a muzzle loader season, and an "any legal weapon" season. During the any weapon season, she can use her rifle and you use your bow.

I think the indian reservations make their own rules.

Public land, high percentage hunts for 2- 300+" bulls may be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
            My wife and I went to Fishtail Ranch and had a great time.

http://www.fishtailranch.com/nmhunting.php
            Yes this place would be great for husband/wife hunt. Great accommodations and hunting.

Comment

I hunted public with top notch outfitters last year.

They have a great deal of private land just north of capitan in unit 37 and kill some great bulls.

You could hunt the rifle season with a bow and should have a good hunt as private starts Oct 1 catching a little of the rut.

They're highly experienced bow hunters and bow hunting guides as they run many private bow hunts.

Lodging is an older house, nothing fancy but nice enough with one private bedroom with a queen bed. They provide great home cooked meals every night as well.

I wouldn't want to hunt with a 25 but with the right bullet it will kill if kept within appropriate range. Being private you'll likely have an opportunity to be a little more picky about shot selection.

TOP NOTCH OUTFITTERS The Premier New Mexico Hunting Outfitter. About Us Book A Hunt Contact Us About a Hunt Today! HUNTING OUTFITTER IN SOUTHERN NEW MEXICO Learn About Us Learn About Us Learn more about our team! LEARN MORE Private Land Elk Hunts Private Land Elk hunts Exclusive access to 70,000 acres of hunting. LEARN

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Slick8; 08-24-2022, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Colorado Elk Camp or MilliganBrand will be almost 100% with a rifle. Both of y'all will be right a $10K total.

Comment

If your budget is firm keep in mind the additional expense of tips and tags when looking at these hunt package cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ll second Broadmouth Canyon. My brother and i hunted there last year. Tier 1 all the way around.

Comment

My family in Montana kills every elk they shoot with a rifle with a 257 Roberts. I wouldn't hesitate with the 25-06 if she shoots it as good as you say. Plus half the fun is getting in close with them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                        If your budget is firm keep in mind the additional expense of tips and tags when looking at these hunt package cost.

You have to tip??

J/K! I’ve been guiding deer hunters a long time. I know the rules.

Comment

Are you wanting a guaranteed type elk hunt or a more experience type hunt with good odds?

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                            You have to tip??

J/K! I’ve been guiding deer hunters a long time. I know the rules.
                            He is probably referring more to tag cost. Some states are over 1k per tag, my public land WY tag alone this year was around 1300 dollars. Western states are really sticking it to non residents and only getting worst.

New Mexico Indian reservation is where I would do my research from what you described, or a West TX private land hunt.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep'em coming!

A west Texas hunt might be an option as well. Any recommendations for a Texas hunt?

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                              Private land in New Mexico can accommodate rifle and archery at the same time. We do it on occasion for specific groups.

Chance

PM me if you want some options or details.
                              I sent a PM a while ago.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Are you wanting a guaranteed type elk hunt or a more experience type hunt with good odds?
                              For guaranteed I'm assuming that would be an "estate" hunt. That's not really what we are looking for. Just want REALLY good odds as this will likely be a one-time thing.

Comment

Compass west may have what you are looking for. I hunted with them last year and killed a nice bull. You will see a lot of elk and I thought their guides were great.

Comment

Working...
                                X