10th Annual Panhandle Hunting Thread - 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hunter68 View Post
    Not seeing a whole lot right now either. Mule deer are hitting feeders pretty hard right now but white tails are hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you pen your feeders? I’m wondering if mine being not is leading to the pigs eating all the corn and keeping the mule deer uninterested in the corn or maybe what’s left (nothing? Lol)

Comment

Our place is near McLean and we seem to be having a good year. We have some good irrigated ag fields close by, gives the deer plenty to eat year round. Was worried in august as I wasn’t seeing any fawns, but when I finally got to sit two weeks ago every doe had a fawn if not twins. The rain came at the right time to keep the deer from hitting the feeders to hard. Get the same deer in most days. But again, when I got out and set I saw over 30 deer and could of shot 2 different mature bucks. Got a couple in particular I’m chasing. One has been making himself more known lately so hopefully I can sneak down and get him this week before he gets busted up.

Comment

During the last seven days, seems like activity at feeders has dropped off after the rains last week. Seems like the rain on the Ag fields has possibly moved them off the feeders into the fields. Just my theory.

Comment

May head up there this weekend though they’re predicting rain on Saturday. Seems like the older I get, the less I enjoy getting stuck. If I go out, it will be with a rifle. Haven’t been shooting my bow and don’t want to loose a buck.

As I’ve mentioned before, our deer have historically headed up to the feedlot feed barn at night to chow down on all sorts of goodies. I talked to the cowboy who works there and he said that the deer haven’t been showing since late aMarch when a grass fire burned through so not sure what deer are around. I don’t think we lost any deer due to the fire but lots of cover was eliminated and I’m sure some have relocated.

We had some promising 4 year olds 2 years ago that I hope are still around. I didn’t hunt last year and no one else killed anything that I’m aware of so the potential is there if they didn’t relocate. Our rain this year as relatively good compared to most of the Panhandle and I doubt if we lost any fawns due to drought.

Anyways, good luck everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
            During the last seven days, seems like activity at feeders has dropped off after the rains last week. Seems like the rain on the Ag fields has possibly moved them off the feeders into the fields. Just my theory.
            How’s the winter wheat in your area? Did farmers plant?

Also, here’s a random question for you - any idea if deer like bind weed? My neighbor’s wheat pasture is covered with it and I doubt he planted this year. Side note, my Grandfather who farmed and ranched was not bothered by bind weed since, apparently, his cattle had no problem eating it.

Comment

A lot of the farmers planted early and a lot reseeded/drilled again a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, my understanding is that bindweed leaves are an occasional forage that deer will eat - not preferred.

Comment

I was out last week right before the rain in the south east panhandle. Saw some really nice green grain fields that must’ve been planted prior to the October rains, and saw a number of farmers along 287 drilling in wheat in a frenzy before the rain hit Friday…

Comment

Originally posted by LtizzleMcTiZ View Post
                  Do you pen your feeders? I’m wondering if mine being not is leading to the pigs eating all the corn and keeping the mule deer uninterested in the corn or maybe what’s left (nothing? Lol)
                  We do have pens. We hunted for years before we got Mule deer on feeders. Finally figured out sweet feed was the ticket for Mule deer.

Comment

Looks like y'all got it going on!

Comment

We do have pens. We hunted for years before we got Mule deer on feeders. Finally figured out sweet feed was the ticket for Mule deer.
                      Is sweet feed the brand of feed or was it a specific type of feed? Guessing you can spin it out of a feeder?

Comment

What is sweet feed?

Comment

Originally posted by LtizzleMcTiZ View Post
                          Is sweet feed the brand of feed or was it a specific type of feed? Guessing you can spin it out of a feeder?
                          Do not use in spin feeder. I have them in a gravity feeder. We specifically use the redneck feeder. Go to any feed store or Tractor supply and they will have it.

Stacey

Comment

Is it still hot temp wise around gray/donley counties?
                            Or temps moving down?
                            Need some colder weather!!

Comment

Getting to the 70s most days. Fronts coming through and dropping it for a day or 2. Got one coming in tonight. Gonna try and see if we can get lucky tonight

Comment

I get to…

Comment

Working...
                                X