Grizzly Unit 23 - Alaska Bound!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers sent for your father Oscar.

If you want to wrestle griz, come visit here! I’m going antelope hunting this morning and then pulling a couple elk game cameras, and I’ll have spray and 10mm on me in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome setup.
      Prayers for LandroverSr.
      I look forward to following the follow up bear trip.

Comment

Glad for the report and pray your Dad is OK.

Comment

Love the update Oscar! I'm headed up in a couple days for moose!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the update! Hope your dad is doing better.

Comment

Prayers for your Dad Oscar.

Great pics and stories!

When is the return trip?

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                Your recaps are fabulous, like we’re there with you! Hope your dad gets well and good luck on your grizzly!
                Thats definitely my goal! You guys keep me laughing also.
                Originally posted by EZE View Post
                Yes Sir, Merganser's.
                Cool and thanks for spelling that right for me........i knew better......lol!
                Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Oscar I hope your dad is okay. I know that was a concern when you returned to civilization.

Pictures are awesome! Thanks for the update, giving us a taste of what your hunt was like!
                Hey Randy, been a whirlwind 36 hours or so. This morning he had LOW blood pressure and they could not do his dialysis. Agent Orange is wearing him down.
                Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                Awesome pics Oscar!

How long were y'all in the blind? Looks like you were living in there!

I've been eyeing the Zoleo, can you tell us a bit about how it works?

Chris
                Yes, we lived in it!!! After the 3rd day it was tough but with a sick guide and rain, the options were super limited to move around. Such is hunting. Between ozonics and spraying down the area traffic really did not seem to completely stop as long as fish were down in the creek. I don't know much about the Zoleo as my phone was not tied to it. It was really smooth and as i understood it was easier to use than the IN-REACH. Don't quote me on how to define easier but all I did was text my wife as if i was on a regular phone.
                Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Just saw the pics, Oscar. Sheeaatt yeah!
                That guide's pistol must take a week to draw!
                Lmaooooo..........real life HOG LEG for sure! He has the #1 grizz with a recurve in P&Y that was killed on that same stretch of the creek. He also has the #1 Caribou in velvet with a recurve. For a guide outta Illinois he don't mess around.....lol!
                Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Those little red things are bits of the last guy who didn't post pics.
                Good job, Oscar!

[ATTACH]1099974[/ATTACH]
                Lmaooooo! Crap was everywhere along the creek when we were going into the blind area. Carl was saying it was lots of blueberries mixed in with meat. My response, "I dont want to be the meat!"
                Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                I guess by the size of the blind yall stayed all day?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                ......and all night for the most part!
                Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                First off I hope your dad is doing well

Second, that looks like an awesome and memorable adventure

Third, I hope you make it back up and fill those tags
                Getting a shot at a wolf with a bow is awesome
                That wolf arrow flew absolutely beautiful , almost majestic. Honestly, that was the luckiest wolf to ever sneak down a creek bed.
                Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                Love the update Oscar! I'm headed up in a couple days for moose!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
                I was wondering what was on your list this year! Enjoy and send pics.
                Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                Prayers for your Dad Oscar.

Great pics and stories!

When is the return trip?
                Hey Doug,
                No word from outfitter but a few factors come into play. 3 more grizzly hunters have 1st dib. If the last one tags out early it should work out good. Also, the salmon need to still be heading up the creek. Daggum climate change last year was the first time he had water issues like we had last week. I am definitely hoping for good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Hey Yall,
                  All is good, and I truly and grateful folks on TBH were getting concerned Been a worldwind 36 hours as dad was back in hospital in Louisiana when I got back to Fairbanks to check-in. Rising creeks and river got us slowed down after day 2 or 3. Let me start by saying, THE TRIP WAS EXCELLENT! Regrettably, the bear I had pegged (a true MONSTER) did not participate and when the creek rose on us the salmon fishing died big time......except the young bears and sows w/cubs! We hunted super hard to try to make something happen but the big boys were no where to be found with constant rising waters. We could not even navigate the river to try a beach front stand about 1/2 mile away.
                  I am hoping to get back to the UNIT before this tag expires in October......so lets just call this a intermission period as the hunt will hopefully continue!

I got it sir, Anytime!

Denali Hunts out of Fairbanks! First class owners, Stan & Dorothy!

Still in the bush......but I am far from done!

My guide Carl had a huuuuuuge long barrel handgun......44 magnum I think. A few years ago when i tried I carried a 500 Smith & Wesson Casul.

U nailed it! Once i saw the difference in a 20 year old grizzly boar and a 10 or 12 year old boar........it was not even a question of what we were pursuing!

Nah......i truly attempt NOT to do that with TBHers as it is important to me to memoralize my trips. This story and notes/pictures are basically my version of a blog or journal of what my archery career has been. Again, I apologize but life was waiting for me as soon as I got a cell signal.
                  I was just messing with everyone. I truly enjoy you hunts. Glad you made it back safe and can't wait for the next one.

Comment

I'm glad you are back and pray the best for your dad. I was hoping to see a giant dead bear but it's really about the adventure, the people, the places. Good on you for living life my friend.

Comment

Thanks for the recap…..you always do a great job. Prayers up for your dad!

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        Okay, does someone have the number to the outfitter so that I will call them tomorrow?
                        Lol

Comment

Thanks for the story & prayers for pop!

Comment

Update:
                            The 2nd bowhunter had massive rains and only saw a few bears. The base of the stand I was in had nearly 6 inches of water under it. The water has risen about 5 feet since I left. OUCH!!!
                            The 3rd bowhunter was taken to the high country for spot and stalk. He saw tons of black bears but only smaller grizzlies. No shots taken.
                            The outfitter let me know he may cancel the last bowhunter of the year as conditions are totally screwed up. He has never seen this occur in 20+ years!!!
                            We will see if there is an opportunity to get back in there but ODDS aint looking the greatest.......rough times!

Comment

Wow that’s a shame. We’re all susceptible to weather be it good or bad. My last elk hunt was in Chama New Mexico during the 3rd season. 25000 acres of private land with half of the ranch in a big valley that wintered 1000s of elk once the snow started falling and pushing them out of the high country. It was warm with no snow yet in December and I never saw a single bull. Maybe only 5 or 6 cows. What’s the old saying? That’s why they call it hunting.
                              Last edited by Gumbo Man; 09-03-2022, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                                Wow that’s a shame. We’re all susceptible to whether be it good or bad. My last elk hunt was in Chama New Mexico during the 3rd season. 25000 acres of private land with half of the ranch in a big valley that wintered 1000s of elk once the snow started falling and pushing them out of the high country. It was warm with no snow yet in December and I never saw a single bull. Maybe only 5 or 6 cows. What’s the old saying? That’s why they call it hunting.
                                never a truer statement!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X