No announcement yet.

2022 -2023 Duck Season Thread!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

107 snows yesterday. Got enough for a bunch of jerky.

Still quite a few ducks around. We are getting flooding rains. Hopefully it opens up a lot of feed for them on their way back towards breeding.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      Looking for a few people to fill some spots on a snow goose hunt. Dates would be next weekend, 2/11 and 2/12 if we can fill both days. If not, then definitely want to try to fill at least one of them. It would be Eagle Lake area, hunting with Coastal Prairie. Cost is $250/gun/hunt + tip. Lodging/meals/anything else would be on your own.

I'm not connected to the outfitter in any way. Our group had the dates reserved and then had some guys back out this week. I didn't realize so many grandma's sister's cousin's neighbors had their cat's birthday party that weekend

Just trying to fill the spots so we can still hunt. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Did you end up going? How was the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        107 snows yesterday. Got enough for a bunch of jerky.

Still quite a few ducks around. We are getting flooding rains. Hopefully it opens up a lot of feed for them on their way back towards breeding.
        Nice, did you decoy them or sneak up on them?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          Nice, did you decoy them or sneak up on them?
          Went with a friend that hunts them and killed 68. I’m not gonna set decoys or pick them up, but he had a spread out and no hunters so we joined. 5 of us so decent shoot nothing too crazy.

39 out of the Ranger on the way back to the shop. We used to sneak and absolutely murder them, but there’s a lot of specks mixed in the big groups now so it’s tough to find all lights to mow on.

There’s several around now but they’ll probably be gone north in a couple weeks

Comment

Nice, sounds like a good hunt. A hell of alot better than most are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Roar View Post
              We had another great trip to the border, south of Fort Hancock on the river. Good duck numbers with several Cinnamon teal shot. Gambel Quail numbers were fantastic. The ranch is getting over ran with pigs now, which is crazy for desert country. We also got a few javelina. Then my son shot a monster bobcat that is getting mounted. An Epic trip!! (on the group pics, not all of the group are quail hunters, some get their orange on before all the duck pics are taken. )

Hands down beast of a cat. I’ve never seen a bob cat come close to the size of that one. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Roar View Post
                We had another great trip to the border, south of Fort Hancock on the river. Good duck numbers with several Cinnamon teal shot. Gambel Quail numbers were fantastic. The ranch is getting over ran with pigs now, which is crazy for desert country. We also got a few javelina. Then my son shot a monster bobcat that is getting mounted. An Epic trip!! (on the group pics, not all of the group are quail hunters, some get their orange on before all the duck pics are taken. )
                Awesome trip!

Look up Mexican Mallard or Mexican Duck. Something that is on my bucket list of birds to kill. I bet it could be a real possibility where you guys were hunting.

They are fairly rare, due to cross breeding with mallards.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                  Did you end up going? How was the hunt?

It was scheduled for this coming weekend, so hasn’t happened yet. We couldn’t find anyone to join to make a group so the guy that was putting it together had to cancel it.

They had a 50+ bird shoot this week though.

Comment

Had a pretty darn good season with several quality hunts. From south Tx to North and a couple places in between. Shot more mallards this year that all of the other years I’ve been hunting combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who said bird season was over!
                      We shot 18 Wilson's Snipe in two hunts. Not too bad! All the ducks in the area had some flashbacks, though!
                      Attached Files
                      Lesto!!

Comment

That is a blast Les! Love chasing those snipe. Very sporting!

Comment

Never heard of or seen snipe dequees. I've just always walked them up. Or shot them passing, if in the area. Learnt somethun new taday.

Comment

Me and a buddy might screw around and set out 30-50 socks on Sunday morning down in Chambers county to see if a poor goose or two gives us a look or not. Expectations will essentially been 0 but looks to be a nice morning with nothing better to do.

Then we will follow it up with the holy grail..... Some Snipe hunting! Which once again expectations will be low because of all the rain and the snipe are surely to be spread out lol
                            Last edited by 150class; 02-10-2023, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I need to hunt snipe with someone. I've tried to get a fix on which birds are snipe and which aren't. I'm still not comfortable shooting them and have no idea where to hunt them. And, like Mike, I never heard of a snipe decoy and wouldn't know what to do with one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                                I need to hunt snipe with someone. I've tried to get a fix on which birds are snipe and which aren't. I'm still not comfortable shooting them and have no idea where to hunt them. And, like Mike, I never heard of a snipe decoy and wouldn't know what to do with one anyway.
                                Their ‘shreak’ when the flush is in-mistakable.

Comment

Working...
                                X