Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great times!!!

Comment

For you duck hunters, strong northern wind casted to accompany cold front for eastern part of state shifting east as the high moves through. My guess is as Oklahoma freezes up birds will move through North Texas as our tanks freeze and continue to the coast. An open tank on the flyway or large spreads on open water may be the ticket Saturday through Monday.

Anybody have estimates of ice formation on still water for this weekend?

Comment

Or rivers...

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          For you duck hunters, strong northern wind casted to accompany cold front for eastern part of state shifting east as the high moves through. My guess is as Oklahoma freezes up birds will move through North Texas as our tanks freeze and continue to the coast. An open tank on the flyway or large spreads on open water may be the ticket Saturday through Monday.

Anybody have estimates of ice formation on still water for this weekend?
          Saturday and Sunday should be crazy if you can keep water open through friday morning.

We have cameras on some ponds in Kansas and they are covered in birds right now. Going to be pretty cool to see how long the birds can keep the water opened up there before heading south.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            Or rivers...
            Yup I am planning on trying a spot on the Brazos instead of my usual tank hunting

Comment

Looks like we’ll have a little bit of skim ice tonight, then everything will pretty much lock up unless it’s flowing or has a bunch of ducks on it. Friday and Saturday may even lock up bigger water where they’re sitting.

Season is closed here Saturday and Sunday. May not be anything left on Monday, we’ll see. The good news is that it should start thawing mid week.

We will beat them down the next three days while we have the chance. Haven’t noticed a big push from this front yet but should by the weekend, even if they’re just flying over. I expected to work big groups on Thursday as the front comes in, but I’ve been wrong before.

We’ll turn a well on Friday morning and beat down will ensue. Big ducks will hunker down for a couple days before they get out of here.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                I made a ride down to New Iberia Louisiana to do our family Christmas early this year. My younger brother took a day to take me deep into the basin, 45 minute boat ride from Charenton in 33 degree temps. We haven’t hunted together in years.

Birds were slow to get moving and we were the third truck to the launch. Guess alot of folks missed out.

As the sun started up, we could hear the howls of hound hunters driving deer in the Attakipas WMA just as a flock of about 20 teal buzzed a few feet over our head.

Took us a little while to get them, but we ended with 8 birds. 4 shy of a two man limit thanks to a few misses by yours truly.

Overall, it was a great time. Didn’t get as cold as we thought we would and stayed dry. FTR, if i ever get a pro-drive, it WILL come with reverse. Its a great investment.

4 teal, two dougris (not sure what their real name is, we just called em dougris growing up), one scoup, and i believe a hen redhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I was born in New Iberia..... A few years back.
                Lesto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Nice build Russ! Are you building it? Or having it built? I like the layout. And how much HP that tiller got?

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Lol thanks. I’m having it built by a fella up near Bridgeport by the name of Kaz Kustoms. Found out about him thru the Texas outboard jet YouTube page when I was researching jet motors. The motor is a 60/40, so power head is 60hp but due to the power reduction it runs like a 40hp prop motor. It’s a 1752 so I’m guessing low 30’s with a duck load.

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Same thing I was wondering......looks like something I cant destroy......LOL!

Dennis who has the YouTube page I mentioned has a 1652 hull from Kaz Kustoms and he’s running it thru the ringer. Here’s a video of his after hitting a tree and it took the lick pretty well imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Russ81; 12-20-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                    I made a ride down to New Iberia Louisiana to do our family Christmas early this year. My younger brother took a day to take me deep into the basin, 45 minute boat ride from Charenton in 33 degree temps. We haven’t hunted together in years.

Birds were slow to get moving and we were the third truck to the launch. Guess alot of folks missed out.

As the sun started up, we could hear the howls of hound hunters driving deer in the Attakipas WMA just as a flock of about 20 teal buzzed a few feet over our head.

Took us a little while to get them, but we ended with 8 birds. 4 shy of a two man limit thanks to a few misses by yours truly.

Overall, it was a great time. Didn’t get as cold as we thought we would and stayed dry. FTR, if i ever get a pro-drive, it WILL come with reverse. Its a great investment.

4 teal, two dougris (not sure what their real name is, we just called em dougris growing up), one scoup, and i believe a hen redhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    According to this link this fella calls scaup dougris' and what your calling them is ring-necks aka Black Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      Lol thanks. I’m having it built by a fella up near Bridgeport by the name of Kaz Kustoms. Found out about him thru the Texas outboard jet YouTube page when I was researching jet motors. The motor is a 60/40, so power head is 60hp but due to the power reduction it runs like a 40hp prop motor. It’s a 1752 so I’m guessing low 30’s with a duck load.

Dennis who has the YouTube page I mentioned has a 1652 hull from Kaz Kustoms and he’s running it thru the ringer. Here’s a video of his after hitting a tree and it took the lick pretty well imo

That was a pretty good smack.

Bridgeport ain't far from where I work. I got all kinds of coworkers who live in the area. When he finishes with it, if you want, we can launch it in the Trinity. And I can drive it down to ya fo delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                        Looks like we’ll have a little bit of skim ice tonight, then everything will pretty much lock up unless it’s flowing or has a bunch of ducks on it. Friday and Saturday may even lock up bigger water where they’re sitting.

Season is closed here Saturday and Sunday. May not be anything left on Monday, we’ll see. The good news is that it should start thawing mid week.

We will beat them down the next three days while we have the chance. Haven’t noticed a big push from this front yet but should by the weekend, even if they’re just flying over. I expected to work big groups on Thursday as the front comes in, but I’ve been wrong before.

We’ll turn a well on Friday morning and beat down will ensue. Big ducks will hunker down for a couple days before they get out of here.
                        Is this traditional or something that happened lately due to Christmas?

Wowzer.........I aint smacking nothing that hard!!!! Yep, definitely built right.
                        According to this link this fella calls scaup dougris' and what your calling them is ring-necks aka Black Jacks.

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66097
                        Man oh man! that link brought back alot of memories. Gotta send that to my cousins that still call ducks by those names only.......lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                          We’ll turn a well on Friday morning and beat down will ensue.
                          What kind of GPM is needed to make this worth it?

Comment

Hunt #18
                            Was able to get in and out before the front hit. Nice limit of GWT. Family time from now till after the first of the year. Kinda sad I've got time for about 10 more hunts then the season will be over.

My golden will hardly ever look at the camera. Smh

Comment

We will be out there tomorrow!

Ducks are few and far between but maybe something changes over night!

Comment

We hunted West of Stillwater, OK today. Winchill was -18. Got a 6 man limit pretty early. It was dang cold. I shot a nice Widgeon, my first.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X