No announcement yet.

Middle of North Texas Annual Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to your daughter Hawkins, looks like some good ones running around for you too!

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
      Congrats to your daughter Hawkins, looks like some good ones running around for you too!
      Those are all around where I work, or they'd already be dead lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Game Warden told some of our hunters that the deer population is off by 40% due to the draught, I do know the horns seem to be off, not sure on the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
          Well big disappointment this weekend. Between hunters without a blood thirst and less deer being seen nothing was killed this weekend. Tracked one doe with the dog 400+ yards. Good red blood early, dried up quick. Between that and the description of the doe's reaction after the shot I am thinking it was a high muscle shot and potentially non fatal. I track on a leash so I wasn't about to catch up to that deer and think there is a good chance she will live. I am thinking the lower amount of deer sightings could be a combination of them possibly having been on rut lockdown this weekend and the recent rains getting our food plots going and pulling deer off feeders.

I noticed a lot of fresh wheat up last week too, that’ll concentrate some deer away from those without it, for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I noticed a lot of fresh wheat up last week too, that’ll concentrate some deer away from those without it, for a bit.

I've got a question about that wheat. Just like Dale stated, recently all the fields around us have that fresh green look & we're seeing less. knowing that the winter wheat/oats will be around for the duration of the season, how does that game look?

Does the wheat get nipped at all when it freezes? Does it become less desirable after the new growth isn't new anymore? Or will they be on it until spring?

Comment

The wheat will keep growing, but when it gets a little more mature, the deer don’t like it as much. Oats, they seem to stay on.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                I was just telling my wife this morning that compared to last year, I'm only seeing about half the number of deer I generally see . I'm wondering if it's more a factor of the hot, dry summer. I'm seeing lots of barren doe.
                Anyone else in the area seeing this?

Comment

Been seeing a lot less than normal in Baylor, but jack county place has seemed normal. However the jack co place we hunt is a lot less pressure.

Comment

The GWs came by last weekend and advised only to take out culls. They said that the herd had plenty to eat during the right time to be fat. But didn't have the right growth to produce good antlers. They also said the GWs on the Waggoner said their numbers were down 40%. That's a 50 square mile area with very little to no hunting pressure.
                    We are seeing numerous bucks. They are fat and healthy looking. But, I would say the horns are down 10-20 inches over all on those mature bucks from previous years. It's still early for us to see the biggest bucks to move thru. We will see what comes in later in December.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      The GWs came by last weekend and advised only to take out culls. They said that the herd had plenty to eat during the right time to be fat. But didn't have the right growth to produce good antlers. They also said the GWs on the Waggoner said their numbers were down 40%. That's a 50 square mile area with very little to no hunting pressure.
                      We are seeing numerous bucks. They are fat and healthy looking. But, I would say the horns are down 10-20 inches over all on those mature bucks from previous years. It's still early for us to see the biggest bucks to move thru. We will see what comes in later in December.
                      We decided to stay home and BBQ , watch football in place of playing slip and slide out there, the Electra car wash owner will be happy Headed to Mexico next week, hope the horns are not as bad there.

Comment

150” on the nose. 22”inside. Baylor co. 11/12/22

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                          I've got a question about that wheat. Just like Dale stated, recently all the fields around us have that fresh green look & we're seeing less. knowing that the winter wheat/oats will be around for the duration of the season, how does that game look?

Does the wheat get nipped at all when it freezes? Does it become less desirable after the new growth isn't new anymore? Or will they be on it until spring?
                          Itll kinda quit growing when it gets cold, but will stay green and palatable. Itll stay green till it starts heading out around april/may and turn golden junish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck Brook!!! Congrats

Comment

Nice buck man! Congrats!

One of our guys is out this weekend looking for a big one in northern Wilbarger County. Fingers crossed for him.

Comment

Very nice sir!
                                Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X