No announcement yet.

Torn Meniscus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did all of you that had surgery have to go completely under anesthesia or did you you get away with an epidural or local?
    Last edited by HuntForHorns; 07-24-2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
      Did all of you that had surgery have to go completely under anesthesia or did you you get away with an epidural or local?
      Completely under

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
        Good Luck Alan & here's to a fast & complete recovery!

Comment

My dad had medial and lateral menisci surgery when he was about 60. I went over the next day to mow his grass and he just finished mowing. He said the mower was like a ****ed walker and to leave him alone! :-)

Comment

If only meniscus, you're looking at a few weeks. You're lucky you didn't tear more. Follow your rehab and it will be fine.

Comment

I didn’t read all the responses but all meniscus tears are not equal. I had my left knee done twice in college, walked out both times and played in game 3 weeks after the second one. Friend who is way tougher than I couldn’t put weight on his at all for 8 weeks per his Dr. Good luck, I’ve had no lasting issues on mine and I’m 51 now.

Comment

Tore the acl and mcl and butterflied both meniscus in left leg about 10 years ago. Month on crutches. Swells up often and I have the rice crispies every day (snap, crackle and pop). Surgery and pt
                was worse than injury.

Thinking about the stem cell therapy.

God speed and good luck.

Comment

They put you completely under. For me it was easy good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had it in both knees and have torn them both again. Seeing a ortho next Monday, but have a Archery elk hunt coming up. Going to postpone surgery till after. Previous surgeries I was back to work, climbing trees 2 weeks later.

Comment

tore one in my left knee, maybe 20 yrs ago, it swelled up immediately and was painful off and on. Finally went to the Dr., did an MRI which confirmed the problem. She gave me two options, one was surgical repair or a shot under the kneecap. I took the shot which ultimately reduced the inflammation in it, and I rehab'd myself on a bicycle (mildly) and it healed right up. No issues since.

Comment

3 surgeries on both knees fur tears. All of them rehab for a couple of weeks. A little stiff but not bad. Played golf 8 days after the last one.

Comment

Meniscus shouldnt be near as long as some others like ACL/MCL/PCL. Just take the physical therapy serious and do what they say bc it will definitely help strengthen everything around it and help you with a quick recovery.

Comment

I've had meniscus repairs twice on my right knee and both were done under anesthesia.

The first time was twenty years ago and it took several weeks for the swelling to go down. The most recent was 5 years ago and there was almost no recovery time involved and the swelling was minimal. I believe the quick recovery was due to advances in how arthroscopic surgery is done.

My second surgery was done by Dr. Mark Provenzano. He has done a bunch of surgeries for friends and I highly recommend him. He is at I-10 and Campbell, so not too far from Katy.

Comment

had mine scoped
                              missed a month of work (company wouldn't let me do light duty}
                              80 percent in a month, comfortable with it in 1.5 yrs

Comment

If you're just getting it scoped you can start rehabbing right now.
                                Get on a bike and ride till you can't.

A strong hamstring makes for a happy knee.

There have been a few threads here recently where guys have gotten hunt ready after ortho procedures in record time. Talk to your doc.

If you don't live a sedentary lifestyle and are active you will be fine in a day or two. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X