Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
    Curious what you are doing now?
    I retired after 30 years of working for TDCJ. After about 4 or 5 years retired I started doing some part time work for the privately operated prison system. Mostly I enjoy hunting, fishing and spoiling my grand children.

Comment

I was second in my class of 22 students. The number one took home economics, instead of Algebra 2 and Trigonometry.

In college, I barely got a degree in Computer Science. It is not science, but just technical BS, that anyone with common sense could figure out.

While doing the bull**** CS degree, I got offered a chance at the UNT Mathematics Department. At first, just tutoring in the Math Lab, but that quickly shifted to me teaching College Level Math.

At the end, I had an MS in Mathematics. Then a decision. Take a $36K yearly/stipend from MIT, to pursue a Doctoral Degree in Mathematics. OR, take a job offer from E-Systems, for $37K with benefits. I took the job.

I retired at age 56, to be a rancher.

Comment

Barely made it through high school for various reasons. But graduated summa c u m laude at University of Houston (BS Professional Writing & Technical Communication) and at Sam Houston (MS Criminal Justice Administration & Leadership).

Semper Fi
        Last edited by Chew; 07-23-2022, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I was far too lazy to be anywhere near the top or care. My 8th grade math teacher would not give me my final report card after the school year ended until she have a private conference with me. She gave me some kind of speech like in her 25 years of teaching, I was maybe the smartest student she had ever had. She also said that I was the absolute laziest student she ever had. I wasn’t going to argue the point. She left me with, one day you might figure out something you love to do and if so, will probably excel. Until then…..

I can not overstate how much I hated doing homework. The very little that I did was after I had a few minutes left in the classroom after the day’s lesson or in the time between periods. If not, I just got a failing grade or a zero for that lesson/homework. With a majority of our grade coming from tests, I could relatively pass with ease because I could ace the tests. Even with that, and most of my junior high school I was on the A/B honor roll.

About a month into my junior year of high school I took the SAT. I scored in the top 7% in math and something like the top 15% in English. I’m not even sure why I took it because I really had no plans of going to college. Well, I had thought about being a doctor actually at one point but then realized how much school they had to go through. When I came to the realization that I could not just skip homework and take a test at the end…...

I opted for 10 weeks at the police academy instead of 11 years of college and training.

When I got promoted to sergeant in the police department, it was by written test score and through an independent assessment center. I read approximately 1200 pages of the promotional books in six hours the night before the written test. At the end of the test I was number one. A few weeks later I went to the assessment center graded by police chiefs and police commanders from around the state and again I came out number one. Maybe I was interested as Mrs.Vance told me in the eighth grade.

I am certainly not proud of my academic attitude. As with any maturing person, I wish that I could go back and do some things again. Unfortunately I cannot go back and in reality, I’m not sure my attitude would change.

Did I mention how much I hated homework……

Comment

I’ve enjoyed reading through the thread. I’m impressed & many have great accomplishments

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Barely made it through high school for various reasons. But graduated summa *** laude at University of Houston (BS Professional Writing & Technical Communication) and at Sam Houston (MS Criminal Justice Administration & Leadership)

Semper Fi

Maybe like me, at what point motivated? I missed by 1/3 of a point from graduating #1 in the academy.

My older brother probably had my attitude or maybe I inherited his.

He had to take summer school after his senior year in high school to graduate. During and after 26 years in the Navy (14 attached to the Marines as a Corpsman), he has earned 5 college degrees including an MBA and now teaches at the University of Houston.

Technically he failed high school but now teaches in college. Unmotivated young punks…..

Comment

#2 out of 42 students.

Comment

Love the punctuation and spelling from some of these top 10 students. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

#10 out of 425 for me

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                      Love the punctuation and spelling from some of these top 10 students. [emoji1787][emoji1787]
                      Weather are not there grammer is good isn’t no indication of intelligence.

Comment

#5 out of 168

Comment

Dropped out of of high school and went and got my GED the next week. Enrolled in Houston Community college and started working. 17 years later I graduated with my bachelors degree that I paid for as I went from Sam Houston. During that time got married paid off the house, paid cash for vehicles and have my daughters college funded if she chooses to go that route. Not bad for a drop out turned police officer and a teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            Weather are not there grammer is good isn’t no indication of intelligence.

[emoji13][emoji13]

Comment

what you did as a child makes for good memories.
                              Last edited by Tom; 07-23-2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I like people who graduated top of their class with multiple degrees. They make great employees[emoji6]

I rarely made it to class in college. “C”s get degrees and keep you eligible for the archery team.

Sold my company the month before I turned 40 and bought my first ranch. I now sit on the senior leadership team for the company I sold to. I strive to be the dumbest person on the team in any situation where money is at stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X