No announcement yet.

Sea Sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Sea Bands do help but I don't mess around anymore, I go ahead & call in a prescription for patches for all who is going out on the trip. Nothing worse than ruining a fun event by getting sea sick.
    I used to never have a problem with it, until that 1 day, went out with a big group on the Scat Cat out of Port A, nasty front blew in, even the Deck Hands said we shouldn't go out, but we did & only 3 people on the boat didn't get sick, absolutely miserable feeling.
    I think I threw up everything but my toenails & testicles.
    Patches from now on.
    Prepare & have fun.

Comment

Always sit facing toward. If I sit looking out the back of the boat I’m done. I once landed a 6 foot blue marlin while puking off the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        Stare into a tackle box
        Count swivels and hooks, organize them by size, rig a bunch of leaders. Works like a charm. If you like throwing up.

Comment

Go get a patch from the Dr.

Stay hydrated and cool off. Don’t think about it.

I don’t get motion sickness to bad unless I start getting very hot, once I cool off or start catching fish it goes away lol. We had patches in Alaska fishing on a 36’ boat for 3 days in 8-12’ seas and I never felt bad at all.

Comment

If a newbie is getting green we normally let them drive. Having something else on your mind works wonder’s.

Comment

Dramamine and there are also bracelets that help.

I agree with bare foot, and make sure you stay on deck looking out into the horizon. Sitting up top "driving" is good.

I took my oldest son, 4 at the time, out roughly 28-30 miles. He got sick but rebounded quick once the action started. I did all the above for him and he was fine the rest of the trip. (it was a pretty rough day too)

Comment

Ever since I developed positional vertigo a few years ago I have been hesitant to go offshore. I do fine when it gets a little rough in the bays, but I don't like to think about the possibility of rolling seas kicking off a vertigo attack 3-4 hours out. Not sure if meds would even help

Comment

I would say give them a beer that always helps. Also, eat something when you are feeling sick. I guided offshore for a while and this was the trick to tell others and it helped.

Comment

Stay out of the diesel exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudcatz View Post
                      If a newbie is getting green we normally let them drive. Having something else on your mind works wonder’s.
                      When I was being a Captain on my boat, I never got sick.
                      But if I was a passenger on one of my buddies boats, I always got queasy going off shore.

Comment

Stay as cool as possible. If you let the heat get you plus exhaust, you'll be chummin' the waters.

Fruit, cold rag, or jump in the water if you can. Some guides won't let you do that.

I used to never get sea sick, but once I started having more ear issues, it became a problem.

Comment

Good luck OP. I've gotten sick on an innertube waiting for the boat to come back around! It's not near as bad as it used to be but I still can't go offshore no matter how smooth it is. Once the boat stops, I start!

Comment

Seasick

Take some granny smith apples with you.

Comment

Bonine is otc and works great. I've been using it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                                Stay out of the diesel exhaust!
                                This. It'll make things way worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X