School security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I would expect exterior doors to have mag locks that would automatically release in the event of an emergency.

If the HVAC system is properly balanced the pressure shouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The key phrase here is "if the HVAC system is balanced". I spent most of my career building and remodeling schools. When we CO'ed a project the system was balanced. It had to be before we walked away.....but I have been on many campuses (actually most existing campuses) where positive building pressure was preventing at least some exterior doors from latching correctly. Misadjusted closers we're also a problem. I would report any issues like this to the district HVAC coordinator or district locksmith. The district response to my reports would usually take days or even weeks to resolve the issue. I have increased the latch speed on many exterior door closers myself as a temporary fix. The HVAC (AC and outside air units) would take getting an HVAC contractor and a test and balance company onsite to resolve. This took scheduling and coordination that did not happen overnight.

I am sure school districts will watch this more closely now with this terrible tragedy in Uvalde. The problem is they seem to always get complacent as time passes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrowsmith is spot on when he talks about getting anything repaired or fixed in a school district at least in LISD where I worked.

Comment

Working...
      X