No announcement yet.

G.S. advice on buying first boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center console is a very Fisherman friendly boat for what you are looking to use it for. I have ran 18' Charger bass boat, 22' skeeter bay boat, 24' Blazer bay boat, 19' Nitro bass boat and currently in 21' Skeeter bass boat. I would personally stay in the 19-21' bay boat range, you can get by with a 150-200hp motor in most cases. at the lakes I did not like the bay boats due to length however the wife and I would fish for everything out of them due to just being able to rinse out with water hose and it is ready for the next day. My bass boats we crappie and bass fish out of but I do not want the slime from catfish all over the carpet. Lol.

You can go as simple as you want or add an additional 5-10 grand on electronics trolling motors and power poles. I would suggest a decent 9" side scan depth finder on console and another 9" on bow with trolling motor. Good spot lock 24v trolling motor of at least 80 pounds of thrust possibly a 36v if you go up to 21' boat. Power pole or poles are nice when you pull up on the bank, keeps your boat from tying up a dock or getting beat up.

Most center consoles you will find do not have rod boxes for extra rod storage. Most will have stand up rod holders around console or gunnel rod racks. Makes it a pain of having to secure rods if you stop somewhere. That was one thing I did like about my Blazer bay was the ability to store up to 12-15 rods in the front boxes without worries of accidentally breaking any.

Aluminum:
    Express
    Excel
    Crestline
    Ranger RB190
    Vexus
    Avid

Fiberglass:
    Frontier
    Blue wave
    Blazer bay
    Nautical star
    Blaze (new boats I have not seen in person)
    Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 01-28-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

When was this thread started???

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

What did you decide to get, Chris?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          We get it, some of y’all love boats. I used to also. I’ve had boats most of my life and at one time I had a bass rig and a catfish rig. Something happened a few years ago and I fell out of love with bass fishing, then any fishing.

In September of ‘21 I bought a nice Ranger RT 188 and rigged it out with livescope and two new Garmin units plus a Minn Kota with all the bells and whistles. Covid hit me in December and I couldn’t shake it. Heart attack followed in May. I felt like a stepped on dog **** most of the time but my best friend (of 35 years) loves to crappie fish so we booked a trip with Todd. I was sick as hell but managed to catch some fish. I found a a guy that wanted my boat and sold it, so we are both happy. My buddy and I have been with Todd 4/5 times now to three different lakes and it just gets better.

Mainly because he’s learning a lot about crappie fishing from us………..
          It is good he has someone to help

Comment

I see you live in a place that has primarily fresh water lakes. So do I. I like smaller boats. Everything about them is easier. I did put some extra money in electronics. I am currently fishing out of an 11 ft DIY built jon boat. Funny, DIY jon boat with livescope. I will not go out on Rayburn when a 20 mph north wind is kicking but I would not do it in a 21 footer either for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              Now, THAT'S funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                We get it, some of y’all love boats. I used to also. I’ve had boats most of my life and at one time I had a bass rig and a catfish rig. Something happened a few years ago and I fell out of love with bass fishing, then any fishing.

In September of ‘21 I bought a nice Ranger RT 188 and rigged it out with livescope and two new Garmin units plus a Minn Kota with all the bells and whistles. Covid hit me in December and I couldn’t shake it. Heart attack followed in May. I felt like a stepped on dog **** most of the time but my best friend (of 35 years) loves to crappie fish so we booked a trip with Todd. I was sick as hell but managed to catch some fish. I found a a guy that wanted my boat and sold it, so we are both happy. My buddy and I have been with Todd 4/5 times now to three different lakes and it just gets better.

Mainly because he’s learning a lot about crappie fishing from us………..
                20 or 30 more trips and I outta know what I’m doing!!

You bought a boat or 3 yet OP? You would be seeing stories of me on the news doing crazy go postal stuff this long without a boat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  I’ve needed help my whole life!! Fishing is cheaper than therapy though!!

Well most days!!

Comment

OP,

Try and attend a boat show. Ideally one that is focused on fishing boats.

And like someone posted earlier understand there is no perfect boat. You want one that is ideal for the type of fishing ya'll plan on doing.

Here is a thread og GS boats

Note the picture of mine is lost on photobucket, so I just grab one from the internet. I have a fish and ski - Bayliner put a trolling motor, fish finder, and livewell on it and sold it as a fish and ski.

When I got it my kiddos were still in elementary school, so we used it for tubing as well as fishing.

Comment

I've never regretted owning boats and I've had quite a few. I will only own outboards with Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda, had a nissan that was great too. Wasn't happy with 2 mercury. My old Johnson 150 was good but sucked the fuel. I'm a center console guy and no wood in hull. Motor is the part that can give you the most hassle or leave you stranded.

Comment

Go big or go home.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

fish off the bank. Boats are a hole you pour money into.

Comment

Hiring a guide or renting a boat is the best option

Comment

If you want a boat, buy a boat. I have zero regrets for any of the boats I owned in the past, nor do I regret the brand new triton bass boat I bought last summer. Given my son, and I spend spring summer and early fall on the water every weekend, I cannot think of a better use for my money!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                                If you want a boat, buy a boat. I have zero regrets for any of the boats I owned in the past, nor do I regret the brand new triton bass boat I bought last summer. Given my son, and I spend spring summer and early fall on the water every weekend, I cannot think of a better use for my money!
                                I like those tritons . Let's see that bad boy

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X