• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
    I thought it was "If it floats, flies, or fornicates, it's cheaper to rent"
    that's what it was! I couldn't remember the "f" word you used

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      How many planes and boats did granny own?
      Those were simpler times and a question I am far to afraid to ask her...

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
        Im 4 1/2 years into mine and the new hasn't worn off yet? Never been in the shop for anything and all oil changes and maintenance I have done. My lease and hunting costs me WAY more yearly than my boat.....

Maybe alot of the hate is from people who thought they could fish and couldn't so they get aggravated going out and not catching anything....

Also there are alot of great comments on here and some not so much. Op if you want a good fishing rig, you will need decent electronics and trolling motor. Bigger motor is good but I dont have to be the first person across the lake but I do want to find fish and catch some.
        That's what I was thinking.

As far as accessories for my boat, the I-pilot trolling motor was a game changer for me. I'll never own another boat without it. Power pole is next thing on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

As far as accessories for my boat, the I-pilot trolling motor was a game changer for me. I'll never own another boat without it. Power pole is next thing on my list.
          Agree 100% about the trolling motor statement.

When you got to get your Power pole, make it Poles... I went with one originally and just got done adding the 2nd.....

Comment

I would recommend that you don't buy one there is enough on the water already

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

I agree with the spot lock 100% I love the dual talons also but alot you can add over time. Good graphs and spot lock is a must in my opinion early on.

Comment

I fought the dealer who was insistent I get the ipilot trolling motor. I relented and got it

He was 100% right in recommending it, it is awesome

Comment

the inflated price you pay for a new one could pay to service and old one many times.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    FACTS!!!

And like swimming pools, the newness wears off quick
                    I've owned boats for about 36 years, when is the new gonna wear off? I guess I'll keep waiting.

Comment

If you buy a boat..
                      100% do everything you can to run ethanol free fuel. The stabilizer helps but is not the best option.
                      I got lazy ran e10 in my boat, had an injector clog and now I’m spending 7k on a rebuild due to running lean on one cylinder.

If you look at a used boat, have the compression checked.

If you buy a used boat, send the injectors off to be cleaned.

A few outboard issues I have become aware.

Evinrude e-techs cons (besides no longer being manufactured) the steering system is built into the mid-section and the parts west out. Causing a lot of slop and dangerous to operate. The back order a few weeks ago was around 6 months.

Mercury optimax cons
                      The air compressor bearings wear out, end up breaking the rod, metal shavings can ruin air and fuel injectors. New air compressor will run around a grand. Probably good idea to change every 300 hours.

Don’t know much about Yamaha and Suzuki.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vantage Point View Post
                        If you buy a boat..
                        100% do everything you can to run ethanol free fuel. The stabilizer helps but is not the best option.
                        I got lazy ran e10 in my boat, had an injector clog and now I’m spending 7k on a rebuild due to running lean on one cylinder.

If you look at a used boat, have the compression checked.

If you buy a used boat, send the injectors off to be cleaned.

A few outboard issues I have become aware.

Evinrude e-techs cons (besides no longer being manufactured) the steering system is built into the mid-section and the parts west out. Causing a lot of slop and dangerous to operate. The back order a few weeks ago was around 6 months.

Mercury optimax cons
                        The air compressor bearings wear out, end up breaking the rod, metal shavings can ruin air and fuel injectors. New air compressor will run around a grand. Probably good idea to change every 300 hours.

Don’t know much about Yamaha and Suzuki.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yamaha and Suzuki are in my opinion the 2 best outboards on the market hands down. If buying used I would definitely try and find a hull with one of these two on it👍

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                          I love boats…..Almost as much as I love fishing.

I’ve bought and sold 5 different boats in the last 8 years and looked at another hundred that I didn’t’ t buy. In addition, I’ve fished off of dozens more.

The first rule is all boats are a compromise. No boat is perfect.

My advise to you is to fish with as many guides as you can. Preferably on the lakes or bays you intend to fish. Tell them that are thinking about buying your first boat and let them tell you about theirs. Guides generally love to talk about their boats and how they ended up with it and what they love and or dislike about it. You should get an idea after a few trips what you want.

I highly recommend buying used. Boats like most toys loose a lot of value when you drive it off the lot. Lots of people sell 1 year old boats with less than 20 hours of use for huge discounts. Guides do this too. Many buy new boats every year.

Warranty’s on boat motors are mostly transferable and extendable usually up to 6 years. I bought a boat a couple years ago that was less than a year old and was only used for one weekend. It had 6 hours on it and I paid $20k less than original owner. I took it to the local Yamaha dealer and extended the warranty to 6 years and now have no worries about motor issues.

Other than the motor, the stuff that quits working on a boat is cheap to replace. Things like bilge pumps, aerators, and lights are maybe a hundred dollars to replace.

I could go on for hours, so PM me if you want to discuss.
                          Only been fishing with one guide, but he is someone I trusted his opinion and knowledge. Planing on going a few more trips this summer with a couple of other guides. They all are running 20-24ft center console boats like a Blue Wave. Was looking at a center console in the 19-22ft range.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            1. How many boats have you been on? Ever spend a lot of time on a boat?
                            2. What will you be fishing for?
                            3. You looking to peter around or blast across the lake?
                            4. Any chance you will tow a wake board or skier?
                            5. Big lake or small?

There are huge differences in 1-2 hour morning bass fishing trips versus all night catfishing trips versus just boating and swimming.
                            Have not been in many boats in my lifetime. Fishing for cats, bass, strippers, and crappie. Will not be blasting across the lake or towing skiers or wake boarders. Lake size could be everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                              Acronym for Boat- bust out another thousand…. Been there.
                              That’s is what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                                Hire a guide.

That has been a thought. I want to learn more on fishing for different fish. I have always hunted but have not fished much.

Comment

Working...
                                X