Protein thieving hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Mine are at 38” and my mature bucks look like giraffes. I started at the recommendation of 42”
    And no deer could reach it. 38” they can and minimum coon consumption… but a hog will get to anything

And all my deer stations are fenced… and it don’t matter
    You must have shorter deer than I do. I run nothing but gravity feeders. At least a dozen. All at 42” +.

The deer have no problem eating unless they stand too far away.

Comment

You know my deer herd better than me, so I’ll just not feed any of them and still shoot the same size deer at a fraction of the cost.

I bet a hog can eat from a 42” as easy as deer… I know they can when the trash pandas rake it out
      I have more problems with red birds feeding the pigs than coons.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
        Fence…cell cameras…kill the fence jumpers….been doing it for years. And we have a TON of hogs in my area!!!
        X 2. Rain hell on em and let em know the sheriff is in town. Cameras allow you to get a pattern on em.

Comment

I filled my protein feeder last month for the last time. 1 boar jumped the 34” hog panel pen and ate it all in a week. I’m done. They jump every pen I have now and they are medium sized pigs at that. …. Done

I looked at my wall of deer and 1 came from feed and none from protein…. I’ll dance with the one that brought me, and my neighbors will have to shoot skinnier 3.5 yo next season

One strand Barb wire around the top and they won’t. We had some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            You must have shorter deer than I do. I run nothing but gravity feeders. At least a dozen. All at 42” +.

The deer have no problem eating unless they stand too far away.
            A fully mature mailbox headed doe here will go 105-110, I’m talking a monster doe

6.5+ buck here will go 160-170 on top end…. And we have an extremely low percentage of deer that big.

I tried for months at 42”…. NADA. the day I moved to 38” deer ate it. No pigs in that pen until last month. It was the last pen I had that WAS “hog free”

Comment

Hogs

I filled my protein feeder last month for the last time. 1 boar jumped the 34” hog panel pen and ate it all in a week. I’m done. They jump every pen I have now and they are medium sized pigs at that. …. Done

I looked at my wall of deer and 1 came from feed and none from protein…. I’ll dance with the one that brought me, and my neighbors will have to shoot skinnier 3.5 yo next season
              Yep but the game wardens say you have to cut a hole in the top of your hog traps so the Deer can jump and the Hogs cannot. A friend of mine has pictures of a pen he keeps them in till he wants to process them. He said they can jump over a 5' fence. Lol

Comment

“ These feeder tube heads should be no less than 42 inches off the ground”

Dr. Kroll

Comment

Had time this weekend and fenced them out. Now I will be on the lookout for any that jump in the pen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I didn't stop them from feeding but I did stop them from cleaning me out by going to an ASF timed protein feeder. Feeder probably paid for itself in reduced feed costs.

Comment

Easy

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                      Yeah well,… the whole point of feeding free choice protein is to get your animals to eat as much as they want as comfortable as they want. I’ve seen deer do some wild **** too, but I promise you my deer get exponentially more benefit from my easy to get protein than standing on their hind legs and working for it
                      I’m curious. My new lease starts next week and I’m trying to decide the best setup for feeding protein. (Late, I know) What is your easy way?

Comment

Working...
                      X