Killing mesquite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
    How long after you spray will it is be dead, where you can shred then down.
    These are mostly small new growth mesquite in a coastal field.
    For small stuff, maybe rent a skid steer and grub em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
      How long after you spray will it is be dead, where you can shred then down.
      These are mostly small new growth mesquite in a coastal field.
      I would wait as long as you can. Give the herbicide time to get all the way into the roots. 2-3 weeks minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        10 acres isn't even big enough for most custom ground applicators to come out. It sure won't be big enough for an airplane.
        We've started an application business with an agricultural drone, if he were closer to us we could get it done.

Sendero is good for mesquite, you can also add some Tordon to it

There is a new product out called Invora that many in our area are going to with really good results

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          I would wait as long as you can. Give the herbicide time to get all the way into the roots. 2-3 weeks minimum.
          If you’ll wait 1-2 YEARS, the wood rots to the point that you can push the 4” and smaller ones over.

Waiting 2-3 weeks isn’t even enough time to get a good kill. You’ll see leaves yellowing at 7-10 days (with basal bark Remedy). You cut them down that soon, and you’ll have angry “bushes”, next year.

Some folks mentioned Tordon. I haven’t heard of mixing it with Remedy (or mixing with Sendero, unless you’re targeting cedar or prickly pear in the same application). While it (Tordon)will work as a cut stump treatment on most trees, it’s about worthless as a foliar spray on mesquite. Tordon works GREAT on cedar and prickly pear. There’s a reason why folks have to do separate applications for mesquite and prickly pear/cedar. If Tordon killed it ALL, ranchers wouldn’t have to waste their money targeting these species SEPARATELY. Tordon is also RESTRICTED (everthing but cut stump Tordon RTU), so you can’t buy it unless you have an applicators license.

Buy this:

Get you a 5500-x1 tip for the wand, and attach the wand to the cheapest 1 gallon sprayer you can find (diesel will destroy the sprayer in 6-12 months).

Buy this:

Relegate PASTURE HERBICIDE is a weed killer which controls not only perennial broadleaf weeds but also woody plants & annuals in grass pastures, rangeland, CRP acres, rights-of-way, non-crop areas, industrial sites and non-irrigation ditch banks.

(Free shipping and no tax)

And mix it 15-25% with diesel.

This will work.

Sendero is near $200 a gallon, now, and you’ll get covered in it trying to do a foliar spray. As I mentioned, it is very time-sensitive, as well.

A few days wandering around in 10 acres, and you’ll have it dead with the basal bark, and it’ll cost you about $250 for all the supplies I mentioned (including diesel).

Again, Tordon alone won’t kill it. Glyphosphate won’t kill it. 2,4-D won’t kill it.
          Last edited by Abctx; 05-14-2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X