Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    What is that?
    A 200 inch 225 lb Llano monster buck.

Surely it's deer and not brisket.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d rather inject than have to put it in a blender every time. LOL
      Last edited by oktx; 04-16-2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        I’d rather inject than have to put it in a blender every time. LOL

I’d rather wrap than inject. Especially with broth.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          What is that?
          A really crappy picture of the brisket remnants lol. Chopped em up small for tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I’d rather wrap than inject. Especially with broth.
            I do both.

Comment

Wrapping is the key. Don’t expect a great brisket if you don’t.
              Yep, I said it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                Wrapping is the key. Don’t expect a great brisket if you don’t.
                Yep, I said it [emoji4]

Sayin it doesn’t make it true!

Comment

Well after giving advice, I forgot to put mine on at 4 AM….

So it’s 8:30 start at 300…. Pray for me boys

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    So I gather that using a water pan won’t hinder achieving a good bark? In my sausage making and smoking experience a wet casing and moisture will inhibit the sausage taking the smoke.
                    Definitely don’t want a wet casing when smoking, agreed. I’m not suggesting he steam the meat, just put a little moisture in the air. I’d never use a water pan with sausage.

I dont use a water pan with my smoker, but I also don’t dry out briskets.

Comment

Cooked one for Easter lunch. I guess I got lucky, turned out great

Injected, wrapped with pink butcher paper after stall. Pull off at 203F.....long rest in Yeti. Ended up super tender and moist.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That’s money duuuude. What was the weight, cook time and grill type/ temp used? Also, what did you inject with?
                        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 04-17-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the 411 fellas...quick question.

If you go fat side down on the start, do you do the same on the 160 wrap & rest??

Comment

So, I have a pit boss vertical and have finally dialed it in for how I do them. Everyone else already mentioned that going through some bad ones happens and you will fine twine your process. Here is what I will add that has all combined worked well for me. Pull from what these guys said to fill in elsewhere.

First thing, get a wireless probe setup that isn’t the pit boss control panel one. I use a Thermoworks Smoke. The inkbirds are great too. Use one probe to monitor your grate temps right next to the meat. I found that with mine set at 250*, my grate temps were closer to 200*(might not have this problem if you don’t have a vertical pit boss). I now set it at 275* for a 250* grate temp. In addition, the first time you get a pellet void and loose your fire, you will be ticked you didn’t have a high/low alarm beeping at you telling you something has gone awry. Other probes are obviously used to monitor your meat temps.

I wrap at 160-165*. I use a foil boat so all juices stay in it and the brisket soaks in its own deliciousness. I also put the wrapped brisket into a aluminum roasting pan for easy handling. Brisket comes off at 205* and I open the boat and let it sit for about 20 minutes to bleed off some heat. Close it back up and the roasting pan goes into a small cooler lined with towels. Towels get layered on top to fill in air space and it sits in the closed cooler for 2hrs minimum. After that 2hrs it’s eating time. I have had them sit for 6-7hrs in the cooler before from the time they came off the smoker until I pulled the last one out to slice and it was still to hot for me to comfortably handle with bare hands.

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              Thanks for the 411 fellas...quick question.

If you go fat side down on the start, do you do the same on the 160 wrap & rest??

I start looking at 160ish or a stall whichever comes first. I’m looking to see if the bark is right …. if it needs more time, I’ll wait until its good before I wrap. If I feel like it needs a little more coverage or heavier bark, I’ll keep going up to 170. I have not had to go past 170 to wrap.

160-165 is usually a pretty good area to start looking though and where I’m usually ready to move on.

I set in a alum pan and cover the pan with foil. Just easier and keeps a prettier top bark imo.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
                                Well more dog food I give up very dry
                                To me, it doesn't look done. Most people think dry/tough means cooked too long, its the exact opposite. The other thing people always make the mistake of is cooking by time, instead of tenderness when it comes to brisket. The probe should push in and pull out with no effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X