Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok pit boss probe is showing 199. Took a fast check on my handheld, towards end of flat it’s 185 kinda hard going in. Middle of point is 198 and butter like. What do I do?

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
      Ok pit boss probe is showing 199. Took a fast check on my handheld, towards end of flat it’s 185 kinda hard going in. Middle of point is 198 and butter like. What do I do?

Keep rolling .. the flat is what I monitor the most. The point is where most of the fat is and imo takes care of itself when the flat is done . I run my probe different than y’all though. What does the middle thickest part of the flat say?

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Still got some time. This is why my main probe sits in the middle thickest part of the flat with a fat down brisket. It’s the last to get done.

Comment

This is why I prefer to separate the point and flat, they have different cook times. But like Smart said, cook till the flat is ready, the point is going to be chopped anyway.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Still got some time. This is why my main probe sits in the middle thickest part of the flat with a fat down brisket. It’s the last to get done.
                  So my probe needs to be more to the right?

Comment

I also forgot to add that this is a great example of why that handheld thermo is a handy tool to have at the end even with the monitoring thermo system. Its nice to be able to check all parts of the meat quickly just to make sure you have the probe in the right place.. We don't always get the probe in the right place and by checking with the handheld, it can tell you if it still needs more time.... I have adjusted my monitoring probe as well with it at the end of cooks realizing I needed more time..

I run my probe down the flat starting towards the top and try to position it so the tip of the probe sits in the center thickest part of the flat. I stay out of the point. I am monitoring the flat because in my experience the point takes care of itself when the flat is good but not vice versa (with fat down). Here are some in the pics I just pulled off my computer here in my home office from past cooks. Everybody has their ways but this is mine....your mileage may vary..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	24682031

Name:	IMG_9386.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	24682032

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	24682033

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	24682034

Name:	IMG_2293.jpg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	24682035
                    Last edited by Smart; 04-16-2022, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Just my opinion. Million different ways to do it.

250 until it stalls. Wrap in aluminum foil until the probe goes in super easy. Let it rest in the juices for 30 min.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                        Just my opinion. Million different ways to do it.

250 until it stalls. Wrap in aluminum foil until the probe goes in super easy. Let it rest in the juices for 30 min.

Comment

225°
                          1. Only buy choice or better.
                          2. Stop opening that lid for "spritz".
                          3. Wrap and flip after 5 hours (quickly)
                          4. 190 is too early. Don't worry about temp... when that probe goes in and out like butter its ready.
                          5. Patience.
                          6. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Was reading last night and just getting semi caught up. Maybe it was mentioned but if not I keep a water pan in my offset. Helps to develop smoke ring as well as keeping the bark from drying out the top layer of meat. I like lots of bark so this step is important to me. I dont know if you have room on your deal for that. I also go hot. 250-275.

Its done when its done. No clock required. IT is the only metric I use. If you are cooking for lots of people and on a schedule do it the day/eve before to avoid early wake up or staying up all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Ætheling; 04-16-2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

You were the first one I thought of that would say oh lawed lol don’t beat me up to bad

Not to use a pellet microwave
                              Not you personally. Everyone has to learn. You'll get it down.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                I also forgot to add that this is a great example of why that handheld thermo is a handy tool to have at the end even with the monitoring thermo system. Its nice to be able to check all parts of the meat quickly just to make sure you have the probe in the right place.. We don't always get the probe in the right place and by checking with the handheld, it can tell you if it still needs more time.... I have adjusted my monitoring probe as well with it at the end of cooks realizing I needed more time..

I run my probe down the flat starting towards the top and try to position it so the tip of the probe sits in the center thickest part of the flat. I stay out of the point. I am monitoring the flat because in my experience the point takes care of itself when the flat is good but not vice versa (with fat down). Here are some in the pics I just pulled off my computer here in my home office from past cooks. Everybody has their ways but this is mine....your mileage may vary..

[ATTACH]1086627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086631[/ATTACH]

Or when a dang probe decides to fail and the next thing you know your system is quoting the point at 195 and the flat at 70 lol. Ive had this happen twice towards the end but it seems both ends always sync up by the last 15 degrees or so every time I cook. Both times a probe failed the one probe was good for the entire brisket, came out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X