Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S. Houston nada...

Comment

Haven't seen one at the feeder in Livingston yet.

Comment

Newton County, no sightings as of yet.

Comment

My wife has had a humming bird feeder since we bought the place we have now, about four years ago. We have had one, maybe two show up every once in a while, but they don't hang out long, and don't show up very often. Then last year and then this year, the one that would show up the most, almost completely quit showing up. I kept messing with my wife saying the humming birds don't like her food she makes up for them. Her response was I don't think they like the feeder.

I did not realize the feeder on the bottom of the glass jar, was steel so it rusted. Last weekend I went to Tractor Supply and picked out a new humming bird feeder. I made sure it was plastic and bright colored. Our regular humming bird, that used to just zip in, get a quit bite to eat and then take off. Then we would not see him for days or weeks. Now shows up multiple times a day and will just sit on the feeder and eat, I think he's going to get fat. The little guy just sits there eating and looking around for much longer than I have ever seen any humming bird, sit and eat. Before he would zip in, stick his beak in the feeder for a few seconds then he was gone.

I think my wife's theory that the metal bottom of that last humming bird feeder was giving the humming bird food a rusty water flavor they did not like. I guess being as small as they are, they are very sensitive to most anything, and they don't seem to like rusty flavored water, or humming bird food. I never saw the humming bird food my wife poured out of the feeder, to see if it had any rust coloring, but it was obvious there was some light rust on the outside of the metal bottom, so it most likely had rust on the inside too.

Comment

Just had our first black chinned hb here in Hext.

Comment

Originally posted by East6101 View Post
              First one showed up in Tarkington yesterday

Woo Hoo! Glad you've got 'em... Hope ours start to show soon! We are about 2.5 miles from the school and none yet, but I'd already told my bride I bet we see some before this current span of nice weather is done!

Comment

Been following this thread and almost posted this morning that I still haven't seen any here in Buna. Ran home on lunch break and what do ya know, I hear and see the first scout up in an oak tree beside the house!

Comment

First one showed about 1 hour ago.

Comment

I had my first 2 this afternoon around 6:00pm.

Comment

They showed up yesterday here in Nevada!! Wife is happy!!!

Comment

Got the feeders up last week and had one show up. Ants got into one of them so took them down and cleaned up good and back out yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my first yesterday. Black chinned. No wild flowers here in Hext. Keeping the feeders full.

Comment

Got my feeders out last week but still nada here. For now I have to be content on watching the purple martins 👍

Comment

Just seen my first one in Burleson. Glad I put my feeder out 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Saw one at the house yesterday outside Decatur, gonna put a feeder up for the first time this week and see if I can get them to stick around. Pretty cool critters!

Comment

Working...
                                X