Sonora / Sutton County 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
    Congrats on the kills Bisch! Kids sports and life has been keeping us from spending much time out there this Spring. We are covered up with Axis and **** pigs. My brother went out last weekend to top off feeders and make sure they had water. He said it was bone dry. Weather station at the camp said we got 3/4" of rain. Finally enough for water to stand under the feeders.

Oh yeah baby can’t wait for the live hunts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone got any updates on the turkey hunting?

Comment

We didn't hear many 2 weeks ago but managed to call in 2 the first evening and one the next morning. Saw some jakes and hens too. The morning we left they were gobbling in every direction of course! I wish they didn't change the season to the N zone.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post

Turkeys in our area are pretty much done breeding by end of March, if not earlier. For the life of me I have no idea why the state moved opening day of spring turkey even further back this year? It sucks because the last really good day of hunting has been the opening of youth season in years past and then pretty much dead beyond that.

Comment

Pretty slim pickings up on 190 , this drought has been brutal on turkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              Turkeys in our area are pretty much done breeding by end of March, if not earlier. For the life of me I have no idea why the state moved opening day of spring turkey even further back this year? It sucks because the last really good day of hunting has been the opening of youth season in years past and then pretty much dead beyond that.
              Yep! Usually around valentines day they show up strutting on cameras and by the end of March get harder to find! Our best trips in the past have been on opening weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                Pretty slim pickings up on 190 , this drought has been brutal on turkeys

Most turkeys we’ve seen have been either in water or feed

Comment

We've got several roosts around our lease where we'd normally see 50-100 Turkeys each day. Now, most of the Hens are nesting and we're lucky to see one or two hens a day. I'm going to write the state soon, although I don't know how much good it will do. I'm planning on including trail camera pics to back up my remarks stating that by the end of March, Turkeys are already bred and nesting.

Comment

Most turkeys we’ve seen have been either in water or feed

Same

I have no idea how the nesting will be with zero cover and insects
                    Maybe more rain is coming to solve it?

Comment

Just got home from the rancho. Looks like we got pretty good rain there was still lots of water from the rains last week. Axis have been oddly scarce, but I’m guessing it’s due to the new growth with all this rain. WT bucks are starting to show some bone. Protein feeders all topped off with Double Down ready for the growing season!

Comment

Made a quick trip to the lease to fill feeders and move a stand. I guess we had a good mosquito hatch after not having rain for so long as if I got close to cedar tree or bushes that blocked the wind I was covered in them. Saw and heard a few turkeys gobbling but not much for them to eat or much reason for them to move. All the broom weed or whatever it is from last years heavy rain year is brown but everything else is starting to green up. The mesquite trees sure do green and bounce back fast. The dust wasn’t bad from the recent rain thank goodness. Hopefully we can get some more timely rain soon and see some good angler growth.

Comment

Sonora / Sutton County 2022

Just got back from a buddies place NE of Sonora, DRY DRY and oh, did I say dry!! Water troughs were taking a beating each day. I've been going to this ranch for 40 years and have never seen it this dry. Where others have had a sprinkle, an inch or more, this place has had a bubble over it, very sad!! Gobblers were roosting 200 hundreds yards from the house. They were gobbling about 30 minutes before dark, roost and gobble for another half hour. Gobble some before fly down and then about 30 minutes after fly down. Some hens were together (not many) but most were nesting and seeing them in singles. Saw a group of hens and gobblers feeding together as well(8). Water was where the party was for the wildlife. Rattlesnakes were out as well this weekend. They were hanging out right off of a trail in the cedars (close-so be aware) leading to the hunter's feed pens. I'm assuming mice and birds were on the menu. The rattling was loud and clear The cedars are getting hammered by the goats that are on the place (no shortage). Pray for rain!!

Comment

No rain to speak of in sight in the 15 day forecast! Looks like I need to get my truck detailed again!!!!!!

Very thankful for the rain we did get, but praying hard for more. We will soon be in the same boat as before (or worse) if we don’t get some more rain here and there!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
                              Just got back from a buddies place NE of Sonora, DRY DRY and oh, did I say dry!! Water troughs were taking a beating each day. I've been going to this ranch for 40 years and have never seen it this dry. Where others have had a sprinkle, an inch or more, this place has had a bubble over it, very sad!! Gobblers were roosting 200 hundreds yards from the house. They were gobbling about 30 minutes before dark, roost and gobble for another half hour. Gobble some before fly down and then about 30 minutes after fly down. Some hens were together (not many) but most were nesting and seeing them in singles. Saw a group of hens and gobblers feeding together as well(8). Water was where the party was for the wildlife. Rattlesnakes were out as well this weekend. They were hanging out right off of a trail in the cedars (close-so be aware) leading to the hunter's feed pens. I'm assuming mice and birds were on the menu. The rattling was loud and clear The cedars are getting hammered by the goats that are on the place (no shortage). Pray for rain!!
                              We are under that bubble too. It’s BAD! I don’t think we have had a total of an inch since October. just as bad if not worse than the big drought of 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                                We are under that bubble too. It’s BAD! I don’t think we have had a total of an inch since October. just as bad if not worse than the big drought of 2011.

Oh wow... so this bubble is between San Angelo and Sonora?

Comment

Working...
                                X