Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmack View Post
    Are you replacing with LED?
    When I switched all our light fixtures to LED, I had two fixtures that were wired backwards. You should hook them up color to color. But it may be that the original fixture was wired up wrong. With the LEDs they are polarity sensitive. Try hooking up the wires the other way around and see if that makes the lights work.
    I was going to swap out for LED bulbs, but to start out I left the regular bulbs in there. I guess I should have checked to make sure the bulbs themselves were good, but I may just reverse the wires anyway and see what that does.

Comment

On another note, how do I check for continuity on a limit switch (heater) using a voltmeter? I just cannot wrap my head around anything related to electricity.

I should probably try and take a class for that…

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        On another note, how do I check for continuity on a limit switch (heater) using a voltmeter? I just cannot wrap my head around anything related to electricity.

I should probably try and take a class for that…

Put your meter on ohms/continuity, and touch a lead to each side while it’s cold, you should get tone. If it’s hot above the limit, you should get nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have been camping since August 12th. We do have use of our home appliances. We bought land in Colorado Co for a second home and are starting to build. Brazos Co market still not a place to buy at the moment. Wife plans to retire the end of next year and is still doing business in Brazos Co but if something doesn't suit our needs before she retires, we may not buy there again. Heading to Cagle Recreation Area on the north end of Lake Conroe tomorrow for a week of bald eagle pursuit with the big lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Put your meter on ohms/continuity, and touch a lead to each side while it’s cold, you should get tone. If it’s hot above the limit, you should get nada.

Thank you! So if I get a tone while it's cold, which I assume means no power running through the system (i.e. my generator is off), does that mean it's got continuity?

Comment

Got an update on my heater and light fixture situations!

I didn’t realize it but there is a master Interior Light switch on the control panel by the door that controls that light. You can flip the switch on the fixture all you want, but if it’s not in the on position on the master switch, it’s not going to work. It works now.

On the heater…I was out of propane. I know, I know. I’m an idiot. On the bright side I have a new igniter, burner and control board, all of which were probably going to need to be replaced based on their condition when I broke it down anyway. So it ended up working out.

Comment

We just spent night 16 in our Grand Design since our purchase on 11/19 (a couple of those nights it was occupied by guests at our house, which was part of our justification for purchase.) We will likely have 26 nights spent by January 1.

Any recommendations for preparing to protect it against the arctic blast coming this week?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  We just spent night 16 in our Grand Design since our purchase on 11/19 (a couple of those nights it was occupied by guests at our house, which was part of our justification for purchase.) We will likely have 26 nights spent by January 1.

Any recommendations for preparing to protect it against the arctic blast coming this week?

If people aren't going to be staying in it during that time - winterize as normal (drain lowpoint drains, blow the water out, add antifreeze to the water pump / P traps, etc).

If people are going to be staying in it during that time-
                  1) get heat tape and insulation to wrap your black/grey drain pipes. I didn't do this during a mule deer hunt earlier this year and grey water drain froze and cracked...
                  2) Run your central propane heater, not just space heaters. The propane heater vents through the floor and will heat the "subfloor" a bit and should keep things from freezing up there.
                  3) Two options for fresh water source
                  -- Get a heated water hose so it doesn't freeze
                  -- Or fill up your fresh water tank and run your pump
                  4) I also got insulation and wrapped any pipe hanging below the camper, like low point drains, fresh water drain, etc.

That's about all I did when we were up north mule deer hunting. Sticking the mother in law out there this week, will see how it goes

Comment

LOL! Good info. Thanks!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

We will be leaving for a couple of days after the first extreme cold night. I will drain the tanks and add rv antifreeze in them, primarily for the p traps. The fresh tank will just be left empty. I will disconnect water and drain water lines then blow them out. I have never used my heated hose since I bought it. I will drain the water heater. I will put rv antifreeze in the toilet bowl. I will run the heater at about 55 degrees to heat the underbelly and maintain above freezing inside. This is what I did during the 2021 deep freeze and had no problems after. If you are staying in it, I would fill the fresh tank and supplement heat with electric heat inside.

Living in ours currently so I want to make sure it is working when we return.

Comment

I’m full timing along with my wife and daughter in our 2022 Columbus 379MBC. Been busy getting it ready for this cold spell. I’ll be disconnecting the fresh water hose, closing both grey tanks, and turning the tank heaters on. We will just use water from the fresh water tank for a couple of days. Got the generator started and tested. Now we wait for the cold.

Comment

So it seems the freeze killed my water pump (but no leaks, thank God). The one I have is a 40 psi model and I’m wondering if I have to replace it with 40 psi, or if I could even go to 45 or 50.

Comment

So it seems the freeze killed my water pump (but no leaks, thank God). The one I have is a 40 psi model and I’m wondering if I have to replace it with 40 psi, or if I could even go to 45 or 50.

Consult your manufacture or manual, ours is rated up to 55 psi but I’m not sure that applies for all RV’s

Comment

I’ve got a pressure regulator on mine on the city water supply inlet. I found that if the water pressure is above 50 psi then I end up with 2 water leaks but if the pressure stays below that 50 psi then they don’t leak. More than likely it’s just a bad crimp on the pex though.

Now, some pumps have an adjustable pressure. So you may be able to find one that is rated for a higher pressure, and thus a higher flow rate, but can turn the pressure down. You will have to look at the specifications of the pump to see if that is possible.

Comment

2022 - RV/Camping Thread

If your camper has the very popular 300, 310, or 320 Dometic toilet….you need to order 2 of these to keep in the trailer.

Funmit 385311641 RV Toilet Water Valve Kit Replacement for Dometic 300 310 320 Series Pedal Flush Toilet & Sealand Marine Toilet https://a.co/d/aXNJQ7J

I don’t know if it’s cold related or not, but I just replaced the 2nd one in the last couple years. They leak water in the floor when they crap out. Takes 5 minutes to replace, but they’re $50 at the geezer gadget store. When I bought the 1st one, the guy said “you may as well get 2”, so I did and look like a **** genius tonight when the other one leaked on pressure up.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-28-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X