Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Heads up- winter weather and potential arctic air end of week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bout time for some winter weather! Bring it on, I'm looking forward to putting in some quality fishing during the cold.

Comment

was pretty clear with the cold front barreling down and the low moving north that some place was going to get hammered with precip. models look to be zeroing in on a strip west-east with abilene in its path if wunderground and weather.com are to be believed. im no longer on a trading desk so don't have access to model runs unfortunately, just the outputs

Comment

Assuming it doesn’t get canceled we may be in Dallas Saturday for a wedding, so I’m thinking about draining the water in my home before we leave. My question is, will doing that automatically drain my water heater too? And do I need to shut off the water supply lines to the water heater?

I did this all last February and for the life of me now I cannot remember everything I ended up doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Assuming it doesn’t get canceled we may be in Dallas Saturday for a wedding, so I’m thinking about draining the water in my home before we leave. My question is, will doing that automatically drain my water heater too? And do I need to shut off the water supply lines to the water heater?

I did this all last February and for the life of me now I cannot remember everything I ended up doing.
          If you open the faucets on the hot water side, they will drain it enough to keep it safe, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, turn off the heater if it is electric. Most heaters will have an upper and lower heating element and that top element is likely to be out of the water bath. If it is on, it will fry itself if it is not in water. If it is gas, there's no need to even drain it. Just turn the temperature down a bit and leave it on. If you do drain it though, turn off the gas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

If you're in Spring, I wouldn't sweat it. Especially after reading the Space City Weather guys post today.

Safe travels, going north might get a little hairy!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              The cold ain’t gonna bother me but I’m not gonna “hallelujah” over freezing rain or sleet. I can’t imagine anyone liking that.
              After working two fatal accidents and another two call outs with serious injury crashes over the weekend, during perfect weather conditions. I, for one, am NOT saying "hallelujah" to any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                If you open the faucets on the hot water side, they will drain it enough to keep it safe, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, turn off the heater if it is electric. Most heaters will have an upper and lower heating element and that top element is likely to be out of the water bath. If it is on, it will fry itself if it is not in water. If it is gas, there's no need to even drain it. Just turn the temperature down a bit and leave it on. If you do drain it though, turn off the gas too.
                Thank you for the info. My water heater is gas so I should be OK it sounds like.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                If you're in Spring, I wouldn't sweat it. Especially after reading the Space City Weather guys post today.

Safe travels, going north might get a little hairy!
                Am I terrible for wishing it would just get canceled? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Generators have been started, ran and checked just in case. Hope not to have to use them but **** sure am prepared to and even more so than last year. We're ready but unlike some of my buddies and my adventurous weather junkie wife, I'd rather have the electricity stay on and not have to use them..
                  Ditto

Comment

You all need to look down the line about another week or 2 for what will be the next bitter cold front. It may be even colder.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      You all need to look down the line about another week or 2 for what will be the next bitter cold front. It may be even colder.
                      I already have my eye on it because we are coming back from Colorado on 2/14. But I have no faith in the models this far out, I just want to be prepared. My toss my lil buddy heater and a few propane tanks in case we get stuck on the highway.

Comment

And as the panic-stricken public wipes clean the grocery stores, I wait in patience for next Monday through Wednesday, when they will be fully stocked again. And I can shop in peace because everybody else still has groceries from the panic.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          Where are you going to find this?

Comment

Working...
                          X