Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 San Angelo surrounding area season thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the buck! Looks like the Blue Lacy has been enjoying the couch!! lol
      What is the new pup?

Comment

Congrats JZ!

Comment

For the veterans of west Texas. We have a brand new lease in Water Valley. When have y’all seen rut activity start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
            For the veterans of west Texas. We have a brand new lease in Water Valley. When have y’all seen rut activity start?

Week before thanksgiving has been my experience. Some before some after but that week before thanksgiving is nuts.

Comment

We are 15 miles east, and we have seen everything from opening weekend to the weekend before Thanksgiving. In 9 years, none of us have seen rut activity thanksgiving on.

Comment

15 years this year in the Christoval area. We start seeing good signs and real chasing around the second week of November. My wife’s birthday is 11/11 so I kinda use that as my guide. We try to be out there very shortly after that and it’s pretty consistent. I’m talking about mature deer too chasing. Not some ratchet head trying to jumpstart everything with girl parts.[emoji23] around a feeder. A lot of us try to be out there the week before Thanksgiving week and will stay the whole week if we planned it right. Usually tapers off in very early December and can fire back up anytime when a straggler gets hot. I’ve stood at a gate waiting for my ride and watched 4 decent bucks chase a single doe around me for 5 minutes in late December.
                Last edited by Smart; 10-23-2022, 09:51 PM.

Comment

We had a pretty good weekend putting three does on the ground last weekend. The couple of target bucks that were hunted (and run together) at one setup gave us the constant slip.

I killed my doe with a GR Hybrid and was pretty impressed with the damage. A slightly quartering to shot went in the 4th rib with a big mule kick and seemed to make a right turn and exit well back getting one lung, liver, and a little gut, but full pass through. Or I totally misjudged the angle, which I think is unlikely. The shot was 10 yards though. Must have hit a big vein because there was a bunch of dark blood for about 5 yards, then it quit for 70 yards, then it looked like splatter paint for the last 20 yards or so.

The ground is so dry blood really soaked in quickly and was harder to find than usual.

Wish I had taken a picture. She laid down with her legs under her like you would pose a buck and died like that.

Comment

Forgot to add my buck to this thread.

10/21/2022
                    Attached Files

Comment

Once again BT puts down a freakin hoss !!! Congrats on another great deer !!!

Comment

I’m south west of San Angelo and thanksgiving week is the start of our rut. Chasing and fighting up till the 2nd week of December and it tapers off.

Comment

Great Buck Brandon, Congrats.

Comment

Nice bucks fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              15 years this year in the Christoval area. We start seeing good signs and real chasing around the second week of November. My wife’s birthday is 11/11 so I kinda use that as my guide. We try to be out there very shortly after that and it’s pretty consistent. I’m talking about mature deer too chasing. Not some ratchet head trying to jumpstart everything with girl parts.[emoji23] around a feeder. A lot of us try to be out there the week before Thanksgiving week and will stay the whole week if we planned it right. Usually tapers off in very early December and can fire back up anytime when a straggler gets hot. I’ve stood at a gate waiting for my ride and watched 4 decent bucks chase a single doe around me for 5 minutes in late December.
                              Birthday is Nov 22nd. I always schedule a trip to Coke County the week before and see plenty of activity. Some of my best bucks were killed on 18th-20th.

Other guys on our place can’t seem to figure it out. I just smile, nod, and keep my mouth shut. 😂

Comment

One word describes my October bow season......"Humbling"

Headed back out west Friday morning praying November yields a tad better outcome. But no matter what, we will be given it our all.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X